• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY106: The Strongest Mega Battle! Gekkouga VS Mega Lizardon!!

Seriously? Team Rocket decides to steal Pikachu in a safe house, with the entire party asleep, and not attract any attention? Realism has hit it's lowest point, and it makes me question on why Ash has yet to report their stalking to the police, even after nearly twenty years. At least Pete has an excuse to stalk the party in Kingdom Hearts II; Team Rocket doesn't other than to maintain the status quo for at least another twenty years.

As for the battles against Sawyer and Alan? We're only a handful of episodes in, and we can expect even better battles in the future. And growing a tree might mean something related to Xerneas, but it's just a Wild Mass Guessing at this stage. But knowing this anime, I doubt it can live up to the hype that they've promised, and we know that Lysandre will be arrested by Officer Jenny in the end as opposed to being killed like in the games.

ii kanji said:
Couple of mysteries of the week: why do characters always leave a place of safety at sunset? (Shouta in this episode, Satoshi.co at the end of many episodes!)
Ya know, until now that old cliche (common in so many movies and such) never bothered me and now it'll never stop bugging me.

ii kanji said:
1. Pikachu not looking that happy during discussion over Satoshi & Geckouga's bond and
It'd be nifty is if this going to set up a little plotline of Pikachu feeling jealous or something, but I wouldn't expect it.

OriginalLucario said:
I don't know the point of Shota, he's terrible. Ash OHKOed his entire team, pretty much?
I suspect he's going to be a serious opponent during the League and using this to show how far he comes possibly by being the guy who knocks Ash out this time (but I hope not to significant degrees).

Alternatively, maybe he'll show up during the league and it'll look like he's going to show how far he's come, only to get stomped again as the punchline of a joke with a multiple year setup.

UxieLover1994 said:
Realism has hit it's lowest point, and it makes me question on why Ash has yet to report their stalking to the police, even after nearly twenty years.
They've been arrested at least twice; the first time they seemed to have been held for maybe a few hours at best before escaping, and they were back by next episode the second time. Ecaping is one thing they're really good at.

I knew one of these comments would show up!

The Rocket-Dan actually played a very important role in this episode in that they finally gave Alan a way to introduce himself to Satoshi. Notice how, during the first half of the episode, Alan kept awkwardly hanging around Satoshi without actually going up to him to say hi? Especially when Satoshi was healing his pokemon at the Pokemon Center? And then Alan apparently stayed in the area the rest of the day, again without saying a word to Satoshi?

Alan had so many chances to go up to Satoshi and challenge him to a battle but he didn't. It's almost like he was scared for some reason.

But the Rocket-Dan's attack gave Alan the chance he was looking for to introduce himself and show off his Mega Lizardon. It allowed him to show Satoshi that he was a capable Trainer so that when he asked for a battle later on he would be less likely that he would be rejected. Satoshi would have accepted regardless because that's just the kind of guy he is but Alan had no way of knowing that. So he waited until the timing was right.

And the Satoshi vs. Alan battle itself was fine. With only one pokemon each (I have no idea why the writers don't give Alan more than one pokemon) and with this being meant as an introductory battle rather than THE BATTLE TO END ALL BATTLEZ!!!1!!1! there's only so much you can really do.
I understand where you're coming from, Dogasu. I can even back up your argument with Alain having a intimidated expression after Ash defeated Shota. When he was trying to comprehend how Greninja was able to have similar power to Mega Evolution even though it didn't Mega Evolve. Although in all honestly I feel like Alain would have challenged Ash either way the next day. With TR or without them.

Yeah, I understand this was introductory between Alain and Ash but it still felt underwhelming due to how short it was. I agree that the next few times they battle will be a lot better due to those episodes focusing more on them.

Seriously? Team Rocket decides to steal Pikachu in a safe house, with the entire party asleep, and not attract any attention? Realism has hit it's lowest point, and it makes me question on why Ash has yet to report their stalking to the police, even after nearly twenty years. At least Pete has an excuse to stalk the party in Kingdom Hearts II; Team Rocket doesn't other than to maintain the status quo for at least another twenty years.
As for people questioning reality in anime, really? Especially when it's Pokemon of all things. If you want a logical response then this it. Alain, Ash and Co were probably the only people staying at the Pokemon Center. lol. I guess it would have been more realistic with Nurse Joy running out with Wigglytuff. Although it really wouldn't be necessary. Safehouse? It's a Pokemon Center not a military base. There's no such thing as security at those places.

...Meh.

So, guess we're starting off with a battle. Ok. Well, I did like how Bonnie actually cheered Sawyer on. And the glorious return of Hawlucha's poses. Sucks that Sawyer got stuck with that stupid sword, but I guess that hopefully means no one else will get one. Honestly though, this entire battle was pretty lame, but I suppose that's what happens when battles start in media res. All we saw of Sawyer's newly evolved Shelgon was it being KO'd by Hawlucha. Poor thing didn't even get to use a move. Then the ugly sword gets OHKO'd by one Thunderbolt after only getting to use one move. (Nice treatment for the new Mon, eh). Sceptile vs. Greninja, as expected, was the only match with some depth, but even then, it still just amounted to Greninja getting thrashed by Sceptile until he got his power boost. It's also annoying since this battle was almost the same as their last 3 on 3. Hawlucha pwns a mon, Pikachu pwns a mon, and the newly evolved Greninja vs. Sceptile with Ash winning. Talonflame and Noibat taking the first two battles would have been much nicer. Well, at least Sceptile's face when he was knocked out was amusing.

And then, just like that, Sawyer leaves? First we don't even get to see him meet up with the group, then he just leaves after his battle and a conversation with Ash? Ok, I seriously think this episode should have been split into 2 separate episodes. Sawyer's appearance was rushed as hell and overall extremely mediocre. They may as well have had this episode been solely focusing on Alain and Team Flare and given Sawyer a decent appearance some other time.

I have to say, I loved Alain's Who's That Pokemon:) Anyway, nice to see Team Flare up to something. Damn...they made a tree grow. Cool I guess. And enter TR with their Pikaplot. Lol at Ash swinging on dat pole though. That was certainly entertaining. But seriously Ash, you couldn't have sent out Talonflame or Noibat to chase TR before jumping out of your window? And it looks like no one else brought their Pokemon either... Well good thing Alain was stalking you and is here to save the day.

I will say that Ash and Alain's battle was better than the first one, mainly due to the fact that Sawyer's was rushed and rehashed. But as a whole it was still far to short to enjoy. And I hope we get some decent explanations about Greninja's transformation soon. It's really odd seeing Ash use this mysterious power up that he knows nearly nothing about.

Everything I needed to say I already said. This episode would have benefited if Sawyer's battle took place in a different episode so both of these battles could have been less rushed. 6/10. Not terrible, but not good.

Wow, I can't believe the amount complaints.

This episode was AWESOME! Ash kicking Sawyer's ass was so funny and fitting too. My heart was pumping really hard just by watching Charizard mega evolve.

I want so bad that Ash's Charizard makes a return. Two mega evolved Charizard clashing.

I'm sweating just by thinking on it.

hear me out. what if ash grenija is a true mega pokemon. the stones could be there to induce it. the anime has taken liberties before. and honestly the could ad that to the game and have to get their pokemon to max friendship

I think people are missing the fact that Sawyer's Sceptile has actually managed to surpass it's rival (without any power-ups). It can match Greninja evenly in speed and landed several direct effective hits. Of course Ash-Greninja had to win for plot, but at least this will make Mega Sceptile's eventual victory over Greninja more credible.

Also loved how no one ever thought to use their Pokemon to get Pikachu back :D

I liked the battle, but some of the inconsistent animation bothered me. Alain looked unnatural from time to time, and considering how the Mega Evolution specials had really good animation, I was rather disappointed with how he was shown in the main series.

The more I think about, the more I suspect that the Satoshi Geckouga thing will never get a satisfactory explanation.
I would agree making a tree grow massively isn't scary. Although I'm highly sure making a tree grew massively isn't their true goal. lol.
I really bloody hope you're right :p
It's even doubly weird when you look it up and discover that Tomioka Atsuhiro actually wrote both episodes. And on top of that Tomioka is also credited with Series Construction! There really was no excuse.
He's lost his touch post-DP if you ask me!! [/bitter-ex-fan] (We can only hope he's saving his best for next episode.)
XY&Z seems to be the unofficial Satoshi Gekkouga theme. I think that's fine.
Horses for courses I guess... I love XY&Z and hate to see it dragged into the mire with this storyline I detest.
I think the version without lyrics works well but I think if they're going to change the music so abruptly then they should give them new animation as well.
Agree with all of the above.
But knowing this anime, I doubt it can live up to the hype that they've promised, and we know that Lysandre will be arrested by Officer Jenny in the end as opposed to being killed like in the games.
What makes you so sure? Akagi & J died and in the same arc no less!
It'd be nifty is if this going to set up a little plotline of Pikachu feeling jealous or something, but I wouldn't expect it.
I'd love that but unfortunately you just know it ain't gonna happen...
I liked the battle, but some of the inconsistent animation bothered me. Alain looked unnatural from time to time, and considering how the Mega Evolution specials had really good animation, I was rather disappointed with how he was shown in the main series.
Whereas all the acts were animated by Iwane's crew, sadly this wasn't. I agree that there was some jarring animation, particularly as some of Iwane's outstanding shots of Alan were reused directly next to substandard new ones!

The more I think about, the more I suspect that the Satoshi Geckouga thing will never get a satisfactory explanation.
What makes you say that?

This episode clearly established that Ash-Greninja is still a big mystery. Where's the fun in revealing everything at once so soon? The characters are obviously asking questions about Ash-Greninja and even Alain is dumbfounded by everything.

What makes you say that?

This episode clearly established that Ash-Greninja is still a big mystery. Where's the fun in revealing everything at once so soon? The characters are obviously asking questions about Ash-Greninja and even Alain is dumbfounded by everything.
I agree that it will get an explanation of some sort but my hunch, knowing the pokemon anime, is that it won't be a satisfying one which ties up all of our questions. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

From what I can understand, the narrator says something like this at the end of the episode: "Satoshi and Alan... The encounter between these two will start the greatest crisis of the Kalos region, although they don't yet know it at this time".

OK episode. What I liked the most is that the battles had good pace and action, and how they weren't totally Curb-Stomp Battles.

I liked when Sawyer and Ash discussed about Ash-Greninja, it developed their friendship in some form.

Alain got a decent introduction, I liked how he was very polite and friendly to Ash. Looking foward to their final battle. I wonder if it will happen during the TF climax or later...

So, while the episode didn't had notable mistakes it lacked something to be excellent.

I'm glad the opening gets updated when a capture or evolution happens, insead of having "arc openings" that spoil things for some episodes and get outdated of other episodes.

Sawyer will be a tuff oponent in future with mega sceptile , Aegislash and what will be if his Shelgon evolves?
he has a fairy type to counter Ash dragon pokemon ("Noivern") if that hapens.
Very good episode, more pokemon, more battles but would be cool if there would be more strategy in the league (2 part episodes)

Would it be possible fo Ash battling with Ritchie who could have a Charizard Y in the Pokemon League?

Perpetual_Phoenix said:
I understand where you're coming from, Dogasu. I can even back up your argument with Alain having a intimidated expression after Ash defeated Shota. When he was trying to comprehend how Greninja was able to have similar power to Mega Evolution even though it didn't Mega Evolve. Although in all honestly I feel like Alain would have challenged Ash either way the next day. With TR or without them.

Oh yeah, the writers definitely could have found a way to have Alan approach Satoshi even without the Rocket-Dan. But since they're going to include them anyway why not have them do so in a way that directly affects the plot of the episode?

Jaisac said:
I want so bad that Ash's Charizard makes a return. Two mega evolved Charizard clashing.

It's really adorable that you think that still has a chance of actually happening :p

Kyriaki said:

Masaaki Iwane confirmed (in an interview that I still have to translate and post on my site) that the Mega Evolution specials had a larger budget than the regular TV series. They don't have as much money to work with now as they did then.

Oh yeah, the writers definitely could have found a way to have Alan approach Satoshi even without the Rocket-Dan. But since they're going to include them anyway why not have them do so in a way that directly affects the plot of the episode?

It's really adorable that you think that still has a chance of actually happening :p

Why is he? Charizard came back in Gen 5 why not again? Especially as it's the 20th anniversary and after Pikachu, Charizard is like the icon of Pokemon. And we've never Mega Charizard Y. I know it won't be this time around, but pretty sure Alain could make appearances after all this Team Flare/Zygarde stuff.

Ash is not getting a Mega.

His "Mega" for this series is Ash-Greninja. If they wanted to bring back Charizard or give Ash a Mega Stone they would have done so already.

People have dreamt of Charizard X vs Y clash so much that they pretty much assumed it was always going to happen, now it's time to face the possibility it won't. No matter how obvious it seems to us, the writers clearly had a different idea.

Ash is not getting a Mega.

His "Mega" for this series is Ash-Greninja. If they wanted to bring back Charizard or give Ash a Mega Stone they would have done so already.

People have dreamt of Charizard X vs Y clash so much that they pretty much assumed it was always going to happen, now it's time to face the possibility it won't. No matter how obvious it seems to us, the writers clearly had a different idea.

I agree with this. Ash-Greninja is his counterpart of mega evolution. Plus I want a break from his Charizard.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom