• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY110: Thunder and Onvern! The Lightning of Anger!!

M.e.d.i.o.c.r.e.

The only good thing in this episode is that Ash beat Zapdos. And Zapdos' feign death (faked faint? I dunno how to best describe it) is good. All the others are just bad IMO.

That injured COTD is completely not needed and the story could have gone the same way without him. Clemont basically doing nothing when he is suppose to be the Electric expert, comon give some clue on the situation.

And Noivern really really downgraded to a standard battler, with all the pillars around, Noivern could have easily made a distraction by bouncing off sound around them and distract Zapdos to other directions. Randomly flying around the pillars and expect Zapdos to lose track is not impressive, what if Zapdos has a very keen eye? Even worse why didn't Zapdos fly higher for a bird eye's view?

And I don't want to mention the god awful Team Rocket in this episode, it didn't make the plot any more interesting, and what did they expect when Noivern is that close to their machine? Even Pikachu and Ash's cliff isn't as far off as I though when I finally saw their combined attack. And why Pikachu needed to join in on that? Why not let Noiverd do the job alone?

Thunder is an absolute joke as of this episode. That noise emitted from its beak + static (pun not intended) animation + it got easily defeated by little baby Onvern + it got frickin captured by the TRio, just LOL! I liked that though and hell, I liked this episode. It was just good, honest, Pokemon anime fun!

The first half was pretty idiotic mind you. The side plot with that guy was totally pointless (how did he get out of his overturned ambo with a broken leg, and how was that the only injury he appeared to have sustained, and since when does Nurse Joy treat human victims of major trauma?!)

The second half totally saved it though. The TRio's motto, with that kind of twanged out music and the fact that they'd quite recovered strength by the end of it actually made me laugh out loud! With just them and Satoshi in the cave and Thunder outside I had an irresistible throwback to Movie #2 (aww man, those were the days!), wonder if they did too? :)

I did also enjoy the battle. Though that's probably largely because Thunder was so funny but still... I'm glad that by some miracle Onvern seems to have kept its cuteness from Onbat.

One of the better recent episodes. However the cotd was absolutely useless, could've just skipped him and spent the time on something more useful. But damn - Noivern is just so cool and an improvement in all aspects compared to the other dragon, Goodra. Noivern is way more agile in battle, which imo fits Ash's battling style better. And it doesn't have shitty, cheap moves like Bide either.

Unfortunately the episode suffered quite a lot from subpar animation, so that was really a shame. The evolution moment and the battle with Zapdos was not as intense as it should have been, due to the animation.

Poor Clemont, after getting so excited about Zapdos, he hardly gets to see it (n)
I loved the Team Rocket motto with the distorted music :D
Again, Ash uses his Pokedex to identify a Pokemon he's seen before - he first met Alexa's Noivern way back at the end of BW :rolleyes:

The first half was pretty idiotic mind you. The side plot with that guy was totally pointless (how did he get out of his overturned ambo with a broken leg, and how was that the only injury he appeared to have sustained, and since when does Nurse Joy treat human victims of major trauma?!)

I think it served the purpose of giving Onbat some time to shine while he could use his abilities to help out navigating through the cave. Also, there's the point of him being "afraid" after the cave in - a very nice way to show his complete upgrade after evolution when he outright challenged Thunder to a duel.
Cool episode imo.

Poor Clemont, after getting so excited about Zapdos, he hardly gets to see it (n)
I loved the Team Rocket motto with the distorted music :D
Again, Ash uses his Pokedex to identify a Pokemon he's seen before - he first met Alexa's Noivern way back at the end of BW :rolleyes:

Ash used it to see Noivern's current move pool, that is why he know Noivern learned Boomburst.

Ash used it to see Noivern's current move pool, that is why he know Noivern learned Boomburst.

Noibat evolves and Ash uses his Pokedex to identify it (even if you can't speak Japanese, you can clearly discern the standard "that Pokemon is ... " description). When it returns Hawlucha to him, he's put the Pokedex away. Then, Noivern uses Boomburst and Ash gets his Pokedex out again to identify the move. The first usage of his Pokedex was needless.

The first usage of his Pokedex was needless.
Don't tell me you're one of those people who think Ash uses the Pokedex for himself and not the young audience watching this show? Besides, even if you disregard that, the fact is Ash never dexed Noivern before with his new dex so it was completely justified.

Don't tell me you're one of those people who think Ash uses the Pokedex for himself and not the young audience watching this show? Besides, even if you disregard that, the fact is Ash never dexed Noivern before with his new dex so it was completely justified.

I always thought he does it in universe in part to help out his friends who may not be in the know about a Pokemon: Like Cilan and Iris with Koffing or Charmander. Could be that reason.

PokeMacross! I though separating Ash from his friends for half the episode was pointless but holy crap that air combat.

Glad to see Ash finally has a Noivern and all, but, the question is; will it go the same way as Goodra?

The fact that it was abandoned as an Egg already presents at least three different ways for Noivern to have to leave

Glad to see Ash finally has a Noivern and all, but, the question is; will it go the same way as Goodra?

The fact that it was abandoned as an Egg already presents at least three different ways for Noivern to have to leave

I'm confused. How could some third party on the show even recognize this Noivern or try to have a claim on it? I mean he was in an egg when Ash found him, so it's not like Noivern would be recognizable to anyone else now, not even his parents imo.

Good episode I guess.

What's this, Clemont in front with the others trailing behind? What sorcery is this. Omg the way he hopped over to them was so cute. Wtf, Zapdos appears already? Well that was quick. I thought it would be at least halfway through the episode before it showed up. Damn I love energetic Clemont. Wish he'd be like this more often. Tree

Omg, that injured dude was so creepy. Seriously, his expression was so terrifying. Am I the only one who thought Braixen shooting her twig out of her tail into her hand was weird as hell. Why couldn't she just grab it like she normally does?

Good thing Hawlucha sprung into action to save Noibat from those rocks, since the rest of the crew just decided to stand there like idiots and gasp in terror. And what a surprise, the group gets separated. Cuz it's not like that hasn't been done enough this series (And in general, but still). But lol, Stan's Who's that Pokemon was hilarious.

Of course Zapdos conveniently decided to land right when Ash and co. are coming out of the cave. Lol, TR got zapped.

Talonflame did pretty well against Zapdos imo. I was surprised he survived one hit. Wish he would have landed at least one hit, but I guess he already had his time to shine with Moltres. I love how
Hawlucha went to attack on his own. Nice to see Noibat worry as he took of and Hawluha respond to him. Damn, Hawlucha kicked Zapdos to ground. Oh wait, it was just a fake out. Lol. Nice to see Noibat evolve to save Hawlucha from falling to death, though after Fletchinder's rescue evolution, this one was a bit underwhelming by comparison imo. But damn Noivern is huge. And too bad poor Bonnie missed yet another evolution.

I like how Ash used his Pokedex to look up Boomburst after Noivern used it. I'm also really glad Noivern learned Boomburt instead of a dragon-type move. Ash using the rocks and Noivern's soundwaves to battle Zapos was really interesting and creative. And I'm really glad Ash commanded Noivern to use Acrobatics to free Zapos from TR's trap. In most evolution+new move episodes, the newly evolved mon just spams their new move throughout the rest of the episode, so I'm glad we didn't just see Boomburst from Noivern. Ok, I was talking about how big Noivern was, but holy cow Zapdos looks small. He and Noivern looked to be almost the same size. That's creepy. But nice fist bump between Hawluha and Noivern.

Zapdos's addition to the fireworks was really pretty. But, I really feel bad for Clemont. He was the one who wanted to see Zapdos the most, but only got a short glimpse of him at the beginning and end of the episode. He deserved more in my opinion. But overall. I guess this episode was okay. Could have done without the unnecessary TR, Stan, and group separation, but overall nice. I definitely prefer Noibat to its rather unappealing evolution, but it's nice to see Ash have a "fully evolved" team for once. 7.5/10 for me.

I felt this episode rushed, in my opinion. I was expecting more from the moment of Noibat evolving, but whatever...

Still funny and interesting.

I'm confused. How could some third party on the show even recognize this Noivern or try to have a claim on it? I mean he was in an egg when Ash found him, so it's not like Noivern would be recognizable to anyone else now, not even his parents imo.
Evolution didn't stop something recognising Goodra.

Evolution didn't stop something recognising Goodra.

Except Noibat didn't even exist, there's nothing to even recognize.

Maybe a parent Pokemon might be able to "sniff" its own genetic material in a creature, but there would be no link to Noivern to anything else and would make NO sense whatsoever.

Yeah I had thought of that and as it turned out Ash never even used his Pokedex on Alexa's Noivern and if he did he would've just gotten the "There is no information on this Pokemon" since he never dexed it in the Kalos region,

Of course Zapdos conveniently decided to land right when Ash and co. are coming out of the cave. Lol, TR got zapped.
I thought that first, but Zapdos was clearly there because it tracked Team Rocket.

Excellent episode. Legendary Zapdos appear, Noibat evolving and learning Boomburst. 10/10 for me.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom