• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY112: The Master Class Begins! A Maidens' Fierce Fight Where Sparks Fly!!

The people of Kalos can download the showcase app on their iPhones?

This whole arc has just been one silly mess

...and what's wrong with that? I don't get it. This master class stuff must be to Kalosians the same as Miss Universe or Miss World is to our world, I mean, it's clearly like a big beauty pageant streamed all over Kalos...

I really wanted to like this, it should have been a spectacular goodbye to Showcases (which it probably is, what with the Team Flare arc and Ash's journey to the Kalos League to come), but it had exactly the same shortcomings all other Showcase episodes have - Jessie starts performing and the action cuts to Meowth and Wobbuffet watching her at the earliest opportunity. The same with Serena's, we saw far more reaction to her performance than we actually saw of her and finally, they really take the Mick with a montage of stills to cover everything else.

However, it was nice to see Miette's reaction to her loss (she's not the cow I thought she was) and how she gave Serena her support afterwards.
Also, I thought Grace looked great, but anything's better than those racing overalls.

Everyone was watching, which was good to see. But that brings up another problem I have with Showcases - they're hugely popular all across Kalos and Serena had never heard of them? Oh, please.

They don't even bother to explain how Jessie got two extra keys, how utterly lame. In DP they at least showed her winning some Ribbons in episodes not focused on her. And this is a nitpick, but many of the background Performers appeared just three episodes ago in a regular Showcase that was won by Serena. So somehow they all still managed to get a third Key in three episodes time. There must be a lot of locations hosting Showcases in a short time then...

And I really think Nini and Miette are wasted potential. I was delighted that there was no lame Theme Performance this time, although weren't Showcases mostly meant to literally showcase talents those girls have? All that is left if you remove the Theme Performance is a Contest Appeal knock-off if you ask me. But I didn't like Theme Performances anyway so I shouldn't complain.

I really wish I wasn't so negative and were able to enjoy Showcases... There were still some aspects I semi-enjoyed in this episode, but if this rushed mess is the conclusion to something that was already utterly rushed in the first place then that's just pretty sad.

Since you ask: Professor Oak, Delia, Tracey, May/Max, Dawn if possible, Brock too, Cilan/Iris even, Gary, Tobias if they want to and of course sycamore and Serena's mom.
You mist Misty!!
It was sad to see Miette crying and then congratulating Serena or wishing her luck (I don't know what she said).
Told her to win it.
Basically, no one loves Sana.
I also loved that glance that Aria gave Serena before the Master Class started; it's screaming foreshadowing of Serena vs Aria in the final round.
It also screamed shipping ;-)

I died laughing when Rhyhorn and Fletchling were shown watching the Master Class on a laptop. Was their iPad not charged?
Lmao, same! Just the thought of Serena's mother dropping a laptop on their front lawn just for them to watch is hilarious.

Pretty decent episode. Actually felt bad for Milfy & Nene. Looking forward to next week's finale.

Not to mention it must be a pain to try watching it on a laptop screen outdoors...
I guess Rhyhorn isn't allowed inside the house at all.

Last edited:
LOL, they didn't even try to explain how Jessie got the remaining two keys. Okay, sure.

Incredibly disappointed by how the Master Class is being treated. No proper promotion or hype trailers, same outfits for every character, same Pokemon used by the same characters, lackluster performances, skipped performances, etc.

I mean, some of the previous Rookie Class Showcases have been handled better than Master Class.

I didn't dislike this as much as I thought I would. Maybe because I know after this, we never have to sit thrlough another Showcase for as long as we breathe.

In preview threads here and Serebi.net, I remarked that the creative team might be is as sick of Showcases as we are and just want them done with and out of the way.

...and this one made it FEEL that way! :eek:

We didn't see the rivals win their other princess keys (we didn't see Nini and Milfei win any of theirs), Serena one all three fairy quickly (and using the same routine every time), and here, in a mere two episode finale, they jumped into the semi-finals after just one round of (short) performances, with poor Nini and Milfei getting shafted as if they were BW rivals (heck, we got to see more of those idiots in action!) :(

So it's looking like a badly handled finale for a badly handled storyline

Just please tell me that they're not going to do to XY what they did to BW and just half-ass (or quarter-ass) the rest of the saga with a "Let's just get this over with" mindset...

Nice cameos though (Congratulations, Korrina, you just broke the record for most appearances by a non-companion Gym Leader!)

Last edited:
Finally the Master Class! I'm so hype!

Wow, funny how Serena's rivals all just so happen to coincidentally show up at exactly the same time. And wtf, their Pokemon just appeared out of air. Cuz they sure weren't there when they walked over. Well, actually, the camera angle was above their bodies so I guess its possible that they were there and just unable to be seen. Weird though. I like how they still show off Smoochum's crush on Pancham. Miette teasing Serena though is still kind of annoying and pointless, but whatever.

Damn that Honchcrow looked super stylish. Wish we would have seen him during the showcase. I really like how Serena and her Pokemon made a new promise on Braxien's branch; now including Sylveon. I also liked the scenes of Serena's rivals and their Pokemon prepping in sync with each other; particularly Slurpuff fixing her bow (so cute), and Smoochum applying lipstick.

Ok, I just have to say that I was so happy to see that Grace not only went to see Serena perform live for her final Showcase, but that she even got dressed up. That so heartwarming and surprising for me since she'd just been shown video calling her the day before. I really liked how the girls had to use their winning keys to open their door. I know that there's probably no way this could happen, but I think it would be incredibly funny if someone tried to sneak into the Master Class with fake keys and got locked in their little booth and couldn't escape. Lol. I really liked how they showed Sycamore, Trevor, Tierno, and especially Rhyhorn and Fletchling via Grace's laptop watching Serena and Shauna. I thought Korrina, Viola, Alexa and especially Goodra and his gang were odd choices since Serena being a performer was never mentioned around any of them iirc. Then again, I guess they could have been watching for other reasons. Whatever, still thought it was nice. Aria and Delphox looked gorgeous in their dresses. Aria's minor glance at Serena was nice.

Wow, that outfit Cal had Scraggy wearing almost made it look appealing. I was really let down by Nini's performance. She really should have and could have done more. She could have made use of Smoochum's psychic powers. Sigh. I loved how the Master Class incorporated online voting through phones in addition to voting within the Showcase hall. Man, felt so bad for Nini when she started crying. I'm glad she got second though. I'll never understand how Jessie won since all she did was have Gourgiest shoot Shadow Balls in the air over and over. Honestly, as much as I love Nini and wanted her to win, I felt Cal and Scraggy did the best. Oh well.

Miette and Slurpuff's performance was so cute. Serena's was swag, but just like with Nini, I hoped she would have done more. Shurin's was fabulous and Glaceon looked adorable. I would have voted for her myself. But I seriously wish she would have used her Leafeon instead. Not only has her own Glaceon already appeared more than her Leafeon, but in general Glaceon as a species have appeared more than Leafeon. Her appearance even matches Leafeon more for pete's sake.

Weird how Pancham and Sylveon were kind of just sitting there watching the screen after Serena was shown to win her section. I thought they'd be jumping around and cheering or something. At least Shauna looked super happy. Aw man, Miette's crying too. Man, I'm feeling so sad for these girls. They deserved better and it should have been one of them in the semi-finals over Jessie imo. I'm glad she and Nini were encouraging Serena afterwards though.

Man, why didn't we get to see Shauna's performance? They showed everyone else, why not Shauna? Wow, more Charge Beam Furfrou, even in just a still shot. Ok, I refuse to believe that James isn't annoying the hell out of everyone around him. Seriously, Flabebe and Ivysaur again from Shauna? She's used the exact same combo of 2 Pokemon in every Showcase we've seen her in. Could they really not have let her do something different for the Master Class and use Swirlix and/or Gothita for once? Now that's a major letdown. I was surprised and happy to see Serena without Braxien though. It'll be interesting and refreshing to see and Free Performance without her. And lol Flabebe just vanished at the end.

Overall, some really nice things and some letdowns. I'm still hyped for the finale though, and I hope Serena wins. I'd say 8/10.

The one thing that assures XY will be remembered as second best to DP is how we will remember showcases compared to contests...

I agree with some people in here... What a boring thing TriPokalons are.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the animation and details from this particular episode, but a few dances and that's it? I like it has some of The Idolmaster's vibe, but c'mon... Couldn't they implement any battles or any sorta-battles?

Also two-parter? For a major thing such as the Master Class? Really, I expected something like 4 episodes, and we get only 2.

Back
Top Bottom