• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY112: The Master Class Begins! A Maidens' Fierce Fight Where Sparks Fly!!

I refuse to believe a talentless hack like Jessie could have legitimately won her keys.

I'm going to assume she stole her keys.
Jessie,a talentless hack?Oh,so you prefer repetitive crap of Serena and Shauna to Jessie's creative performances?

Well...Jessie didn't actually earn all of her Sinnoh ribbons.

James had to participate in a contest on her behalf, Dawns look-alike pseudo twin gave her the ribbon she won out of self-pity.
Didn't James and Meowth (or was it just James?) come up with the routines in the Contests at first? Or was that only said in the dub/original?

That flashback to Yashio telling Serena that she's missing something if she wants to become Kalos Queen (and how Serena hasn't lifted a finger trying to figure out what that "something" could possibly be) is a fantastic display of just how shitty this whole Performer storyline has been. Can't wait for tonight's episode to finally put an end to this mess.

Jessie is the only one delivering new, unique performances each time she competes in Showcases, unlike Serena who always starts her performances by having Braixen create a ring of fire around them before commanding Pancham to use Stone Edge to create luminous blue rocks that explode into glitter when Braixen touches them with her feet and then asking Braixen to use another Fire-type attack.

And Serena does all this while spinning in a circle and moving her arms, taking advantage of camera angles to make us believe these are the ultimate dance steps.

OR Shauna, who once again is going to command Ivysaur to use Vine Whip to lift her off the ground while her Flabébé uses Fairy Wind to leave a trail of glowing pink dust. She'll be doing this in the semifinals of the Master Class this Thursday. She'll be doing this after telling Serena she was practicing a new performance when Serena called her to talk about her recent victory at the Frey Showcase.

Can we just go ahead and nominate this for "post of the year?" Because I don't see how anyone else is going to be able to top this :)

Yeah that never happened.
Yeah they did, in the "Team Shocker" ep. I don't know if that was the only time though.
EDIT: Yup, rewatching it again, those two made a promise to come up with a good strategy for her in that episode. I think it was the only one time, yeah.
That flashback to Yashio telling Serena that she's missing something if she wants to become Kalos Queen (and how Serena hasn't lifted a finger trying to figure out what that "something" could possibly be) is a fantastic display of just how shitty this whole Performer storyline has been. Can't wait for tonight's episode to finally put an end to this mess.
Let's hope there's not a "second round" to this later in the series.

Last edited:
Yeah they did, in the "Team Shocker" ep. I don't know if that was the only time though.
EDIT: Yup, rewatching it again, those two made a promise to come up with a good strategy for her in that episode. I think it was the only one time, yeah.
They promised to help her cheat (though they never carried this through) but they didn't create her routine for her.

They promised to help her cheat (though they never carried this through) but they didn't create her routine for her.

Ugh, really? My bad then.
*sigh* I probably should have watched the whole ep, but I just can't stand that dub sometimes.

I lol'd when I saw that Grace left her laptop for Rhyhorn and Fletchling to watch the live broadcasting XD that scene was unexpectedly so cute.

I loved Aria's queen outfit. It really gives her a different air.

As for having three people perform on the same stage at the same time... what was the appeal in that? If anything, it would only make the audience confused with so many attacks occurring left and right, not to mention how each performer could be directly affected by the person next to them. I get that the point would be to stand out as much as you can so you overshadow the others, but it would be difficult for the audience to get a full grasp on what the heck is going on. Not to mention like with how Jessie did, you could 'unintentionally' (or intentionally) stop the performer next to you from performing. It didn't seem fair.

I enjoyed all the past showcases, and the Master Class felt so underwhelming.

Last edited:
I’m gonna be honest. I didn’t like this episode. Now before I get into the negatives, let me talk about the postives I saw in this episode. I liked the way all of Serena’s rivals came back. Whether the rivals were memorable or not is up for debate, but the reunion itself was a nice one imo. The scene with Serena talking with her mom through the PC was honestly very sweet and the fact that her mom came out to watch was nice. I appreciate how they showed off everyone watching and cheering for Serena back at their homes.

Now onto the negatives and this ironically has to do with Jessie. Where and when did Jessie get her other 2 keys? They showed Jessie getting all 5 of her ribbons in DP, but only showed her getting 1 key in XY. I mean it’s not THAT big of an issue, but it would’ve been nice to see her get all her keys.

I think the performances in Master Class were Mediocre, but that’s just me. The pacing of the tournament was just trash. They showed off Jessie and Serena’s full performance, then they just sped through most of the tournament and went straight to the semi finals. I believe this is because they put most of the important characters against each other in the first round, causing them rush to the semi-finals. This could’ve been at the most a 4 episode arc, but it’s ended in the next episode.

Not a good start to the Master Class.

Rating:3/10(Mediocre)

Back
Top Bottom