• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY113: Elle VS Serena! Open the Door to the Future!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing this eppy will set up Serena's goal for something she'd like to do once this season has ended.

I think this is my problem with the anime. There are tons of shows where the main cast is allowed to succede , but the Pokemon anime never lets any of its protagonists win a major competition. Ash has won smaller filler arcs like the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier, but neither he, May, or Dawn have won a truly major competition. Dawn came close, but ultimately, they can't let anyone win. Serena probably won't sadly and if she does, people here will probably accuse her of being a Mary Sue.

Mary Sue? Quite a stretch there. Personally if she does win and become the Kalos Queen, then I think it's time reconsider other possible chances of winning for other protagonists...

Mary Sue? Quite a stretch there. Personally if she does win and become the Kalos Queen, then I think it's time reconsider other possible chances of winning for other protagonists...
I only say that cause I have seen people accuse her of being one, though I don't think she is. If she beats Aria, it will give me more hope for Ash making it far in the league.

Elle/Aria will most likely defend her title and Serena will lose to her. Although its obvious Serena wins the Master Class in terms of all the previous characters. I don't see the big deal here, since characters just win or lose based on votes. We're not seeing characters battle so whoever wins isn't a big deal.

If anything I see the tripokalon's as more of a side goal like the Don battle tournaments from BW, or the Whirl Cup in Johto or the tag battle tournament from DP. If you think of them that way rather than full region quests like Contests, it makes a bit more sense why they seem shorter and less important.

There is 0% chance Serena will win; if she won she'd have more things to do. They wrote this all of in the space of twelve episodes in xyz; why would they give her more to do after rushing it all away like this?

There is 0% chance Serena will win; if she won she'd have more things to do. They wrote this all of in the space of twelve episodes in xyz; why would they give her more to do after rushing it all away like this?

The question is, however, what is she going to do after the Master Class performance. Regardless of whether or not she wins, she'll be sticking around till of the end of this saga. And who knows? Maybe if she wins, she finds a new round of challenges waiting for her. Or maybe she finds another goal in mind. It's not hard to see it. After all, stretching the goal point near the end of the saga did not exactly help May's or Dawn's chances at winning the Grand Festival. And one has to keep in mind those arcs was quite close to Ash's main Pokémon League/Final Battle Frontier showdown.

So showcases had a relation to battling after all, unless it's a simultaneous performance where both girls improvise their best moves, but that would be difficult to animate. I hope it's a double battle, even if it ends up being similar to a Contest Battle.

I'll be brutally honest and just say this out here.
If Serena actually wins this, I will call supreme bullshit. It's far too early for her to pull that off. Dawn was absorbed in her Contest arc from the very beginning and it took way longer than this just to become the runner up. Hold your horses.

I wanna be honest here: the Showcases sounded good on paper, but were boring in execution. I don't find myself excited or invested when I watch them, as opposed to contests. I am praying that after this episode, we never have to sit through any more showcases ever again.

Besides....let's be honest, Serena's true goal is to be Ash's girl. Try to deny this all you want, but it's the honest truth regardless of how you look at it.

I'll be brutally honest and just say this out here.
If Serena actually wins this, I will call supreme bullshit. It's far too early for her to pull that off. Dawn was absorbed in her Contest arc from the very beginning and it took way longer than this just to become the runner up. Hold your horses.

You are right, but...

Dawn had a bigger and better variety of rivals: Zoey, Nando, Jessilina, Ursula, Kenny. They were all tough rivals for Dawn (well except Nando, but he's proven himself to be a good coordinator). Zoey, she could never defeat (though Dawn won agains May, who won against Zoey), Ursula was Dawn's 4th and 5th ribbon win and also a rival in Sinnoh GF's Round 1 and in all 3 of the occasions Ursula came with something different, something that was better than the previous time and Dawn had a hard time, but she had to overcome all 3. Jessilina was made a joke rival and a serious rival when needed, while Kenny was sort of an emotional rival to Dawn.

When you look at Serena's rivals, she has Shauna, Miette, Nini, Jessilee. Nini has been a complete joke, same could apply to Jessilee, too (sadly). Miette has mostly been teasing Serena about her crush on Ash and we never saw her full performance that one time. Turns out, Shauna is Serena's main Rookie Class rival and so far we didn't see a lot of "Wow" from her. Both of her Free-Styles were similar, which will probably serve a purpose in her loss since Palermo is looking for something 'different' apparently. It all comes down to Aria, who is kinda Serena's Rival, too. She has to defeat her and win the Crown, but it is unlikely because Serena most likely doesn't find out what she's lacking until she loses because of said thing (to Aria).

So in conclusion, Serena's rivals are pretty meh and generic and serve as basic performers that Serena is better than them since she won against them multiple times (lost to Shauna once /indirectly/, beat her once, beat Jessie 2 times, lost to her once, beat Nini twice, beat Miette).
What I'm trying to say is that Aria was meant to be Serena's main 'rival' and the other girls are just there so Serena can defeat them. Serena most likely loses to Aria and later Palermo tells her about the flaw she has, which motivates Serena for the next Showcases or training with Palermo. She stays with Ash to support him against Wulfric and during the league and then stays at Kalos to continue training in order to become a better Performer and eventually the Kalos Queen.

My personal opinion is that I don't mind Serena winning the Master Class and losing to Aria, because the Anime has definitely proven us that:

Aria >>> Serena > Shauna > The rest

EDIT: Sorry for the long post that slipped away from topic

Last edited:
I think that that will be Braixen's evolution. I know it's in the movie trailer, but I can't remember many of the Hoopa trailer actually getting into the movie. They could change it easily enough.

I think that that will be Braixen's evolution. I know it's in the movie trailer, but I can't remember many of the Hoopa trailer actually getting into the movie. They could change it easily enough.

I don't think so. In the M19 poster, it's still a Braixen/Tairenar.

Christ, more bullshit? Why can't she just get through this without being such a special chosen one...

Christ, more bullshit? Why can't she just get through this without being such a special chosen one...
Let's see ...
Toughest competition - they have to cook a full meal and clean a house in order to keep the "Waifu in training" theme going
Something happens during the performance - major disaster! Serena breaks a nail! However, she struggles on and wins the crowd over with her ability to cope with this terrible setback
-_-

Another more detailed summary from Dephender/Adamant:
http://i.imgur.com/nS4ugGT.jpg

As Serena tries to land...
Serena has won her way to the semifinals of the Master Class Tripokalon. But during a tense performance against Musavie and Shauna where she can't even afford the tiniest mistake, something happens to her at the very end of her delivery.

Aaaaaaannnnd more drama. Serena's done, calling it now. She won't make it to Aria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom