• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY113: Elle VS Serena! Open the Door to the Future!!

OK, Serena's performance was more eye-catching, but that wasn't the point as far as I understand it. Aria had the crowd in the palm of her hand from the word go, she enchanted them with her gentle and graceful performance and didn't have to rely on "Look at me! Look at me!" tactics. This is why Aria won, she was the better entertainer.

Although we didn't get to see enough of Elle's performance to judge if it truly was better than Serena's, I kinda scratch my head at the idea that people were so moved by a simple combination attack followed by Elle jumping that they had to stand up. I think everyone could see where this was going, and yeah... this whole thing is clearly just a popularity contest. If I was Serena, I'd work on getting some press exposure before the next Master Class rolls around.

Also, I really hope the series follows through on what it's set up with Serena being offered the chance to be tutored by Yashio, as opposed to Iris who was offered the chance to become a Gym Leader and promised to think about it, only to end up wandering aimlessly through Johto chasing Rayquaza.

It gave me the chills when Serena's performance matched the routines shown in DreamDream. That was so beautiful and so fitting.

I thought this was Serena's best performance. Great to see how Sylveon has gained a ton of confidence since she evolved from Eevee and managed to help Serena when she struggled in the semifinals. Unfortunately, her final performance wasn't good enough to beat Aria but from what I saw Serena's performance was much better than Aria's. I loved Bonnie and Clemont and his pokemon reactions throughout the episode. Can't wait for the subs to get a better understanding of the episode.

Fans' problem when in the middle of watching this episode:
-If Serena wins the showcase, people will complain that it isn't fair for Dawn and May for good ol' time's sake.
-If Aria wins, then people will say it's no fair based on Serena's damn amazing performance much better than Aria (Including her insert song too).

Not everyone will happy about XY112, but at least the story producers have done their best they could of creating the episode itself.

Last edited:
Beatiful episode, but with a sad feeling of what might come.

Basically, they just showed us how will Serena leave the group if they plan to replace her.

I'm not happy to know this, since I was hoping that she will stay alongside with Ash indefinitely. I hope this is just a way to hold tension among her fans. But I couldn't really say.

Only time will tell. I can't wait to see how XY&Z will end.

Not everyone will happy about XY112, but at least the story producers have done their best they could of creating the episode itself.
No, they haven't. This is so incredibly far from their best it's not even funny.

Butchered, unoriginal performances (oh look Shauna is flying around magical dust yet again!), failing to give the actual Kalos Queen a Queen-worthy performance, failing to make this grand final tournament feel like a grand final tournament, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the Serena moments were nice, but as far as the competition itself is concerned, this was a pretty crappy Tripokalon, let alone a Master Class Tripokalon.

Beatiful episode, but with a sad feeling of what might come.

Basically, they just showed us how will Serena leave the group if they plan to replace her.

I'm not happy to know this, since I was hoping that she will stay alongside with Ash indefinitely. I hope this is just a way to hold tension among her fans. But I couldn't really say.

Only time will tell. I can't wait to see how XY&Z will end.

If you thought Serena was staying with Ash for a long while.....then you must be new around here.

I think it's pretty evident that at the end of the series, Serena's going to take up Palermo's offer to tutor her - I hope she does, I think it will be a very good way to wrap up her character arc after the Kalos League ends and everything is winding down.

Guess I'm like the only one who prefers Elle's performance over Serena's.
Serena's performance is lacking something, as that old woman has said before.

Then why even bother for Kalos Queen at all? If there is anything to take away from this episode, it's that you must be insanely popular and well-liked to win. I don't see Elle losing any of that anytime soon.
And this is why I think a group of unbiased judges should be selected to judge the Master Class' final round, which should really be the bonus round. Why isn't it winner of the Master Class can face the Kalos Queen?

And this is why I think a group of unbiased judges should be selected to judge the Master Class' final round, which should really be the bonus round. Why isn't it winner of the Master Class can face the Kalos Queen?
I kind of hope they change it to that in the dub though I'm guessing it'll probably be unlikely.

Because a bonus round makes no sense?

Unlike the Pokémon League Conference and the Grand Festival, where finalists are decided over the course of the competition, the Master Class has one guaranteed finalist, and that's the reigning Kalos Queen.

In order to become Kalos Queen, a Performer has to defeat the previous title holder. It's different for Trainers and Coordinators, as previous Champions and Top Coordinators keep their titles forever instead of having to defend them from challengers. As such, a new Champion and a new Top Coordinator are born each year.

I get it, okay. You wanted to see Serena winning her "major" tournament (and you wanted it badly so as to break the curse of no one ever winning anything) and challenging Aria for the title afterwards, but let's face it: that makes no sense.

Serena would be the tournament winner and the bonus round loser. The point of winning these major competitions is to obtain a prestigious title. If Serena won the Master Class and lost the bonus round to Aria, she would get no title. So what's the point?

Remember that time when Palermo said Serena was lacking something crucial in order to become the next Kalos Queen four episodes ago? Yeah, Serena didn't bother to find out (she "cagou e andou" lit. "shat and walked," an expression used when a person ignores something important) but she realized what it was during Aria's performance.

Serena knows why she lost. She said she isn't ready to become Kalos Queen because Aria is a Performer who helps people, while Serena needs help from others. Aria knows how to make people smile and she injects people with optimism and joy, while Serena needs her friends and her Pokémon to do that for her.

Serena told Palermo she'll try to do that from now on, and Palermo offered to tutor Serena, but she refused saying she has learned a lot on her journey and she would like to continue traveling with Ash and friends until the end. Palermo told her to give her a call when she feels she's satisfied with her journey, and Serena thanked her.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I don't like how Palermo apparently knows Serena relies so much on her friends and Pokémon. On the other, I think it's beautiful how the Kalos Queen is supposed to make people smile and help them. It's like these messages from Disney movies about the role the royalty should play.

Back
Top Bottom