• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY113: Elle VS Serena! Open the Door to the Future!!

Because a bonus round makes no sense?

Unlike the Pokémon League Conference and the Grand Festival, where finalists are decided over the course of the competition, the Master Class has one guaranteed finalist, and that's the reigning Kalos Queen.

In order to become Kalos Queen, a Performer has to defeat the previous title holder. It's different for Trainers and Coordinators, as previous Champions and Top Coordinators keep their titles forever instead of having to defend them from challengers. As such, a new Champion and a new Top Coordinator are born each year.

I get it, okay. You wanted to see Serena winning her "major" tournament (and you wanted it badly so as to break the curse of no one ever winning anything) and challenging Aria for the title afterwards, but let's face it: that makes no sense.

Serena would be the tournament winner and the bonus round loser. The point of winning these major competitions is to obtain a prestigious title. If Serena won the Master Class and lost the bonus round to Aria, she would get no title. So what's the point?

Actually a bonus round does make sense. I just see it like how trainers have to win the league to get a shot at becoming the region's champion, except in this case, there's no Elite 4. So why can't the Showcases be treated the same way? Aria's title is treated in a similar manner. She's a star, she's popular with the crowd, and she does help people like the champion should.

Actually a bonus round does make sense. I just see it like how trainers have to win the league to get a shot at becoming the region's champion, except in this case, there's no Elite 4. So why can't the Showcases be treated the same way? Aria's title is treated in a similar manner. She's a star, she's popular with the crowd, and she does help people like the champion should.

Wrong. A Trainer becomes a Champion immediately after winning the Pokémon League Conference, just like winners of the Grand Festival are awarded the title of Top Coordinator.

People often forget that there are two kinds of Champion:
  1. the one who managed to win a championship tournament after collecting eight Gym Badges (Tobias and Virgil)
  2. the strongest Trainer of a region who presides over the Elite Four (Cynthia and Alder)
Trainers have to become Champion 1 to get a shot at becoming Champion 2. So my point still stands, people enter these major tournaments to obtain a prestigious title and a golden trophy. If Serena had won the Master Class but lost to Aria, she would leave Glorio City empty handed. And that makes no sense.

It's a pretty common mistake, but it's an annoying one. I've seen people saying Top Coordinators are a joke when compared to the likes of Steven and Diantha, but that's an unfair comparison. Robert and Solidad should be compared to Tyson and Virgil, which are winners of big tournaments just like them.

From what I've been able to tell, there's two kinds of champion in the anime... a Tournament Champion and a Regional Champion. You become a Tournament Champion, then you get to face the Elite Four. Beat them, you face the Champion and if you win that then you steal their title and become the Regional Champion (and, I'm guessing, earn the additional title of Pokemon Master).

This does make me wonder where the title of Contest Master comes from. Did Nozomi have to face Mikuri after becoming Top Coordinator?

I forget about Contest Master, which I believe was the title Wallace had, rather than Champion, as Steven holds that title right now. Is there a way Zoey or Soledad could possibly earn this title, if there is a Contest Master in each region? I don't see why the Pokemon Showcases can't be treated in a similar matter though. You win, you join the rank with the other "champions", then you can face the regional Champion/Queen. I don't think it "doesn't make sense" in anyway, if the Pokemon League runs this way.

It's always bothered me that Showcase winners were determined by the audience. Audiences are much less likely to appreciate true mastery in a Performer's ability, and in the end it comes down to a popularity contest - I was shocked when Serena won her third Princess Key, there's no way she convinced that many people in the audience to vote for her over the other girl that everyone else loved. I wish they'd had some kind of judging system for the Master Class.

Yeah, the Showcases really needed some actual judges. Man, I miss Sukizo.

I dislike the fact that these Showcases are like popularity contests, but apparently they are based on the idol culture that seems very popular in Japan nowadays. A lot of idols aren't amazing singers but they sing "well enough" and their main appeal comes from their cuteness, demeanor, public image, being role models and so on.

Elle knows how to entertain her audience, she helps and inspires other Performers, she is a role model and everything she does is for the sake of her fans. Serena, on the other hand, needs other people (or Pokemon) to inspire and support her, and her goal is for her and her Pokemon to have fun in the Showcases. She wants to have fun, but what about the audience? That's not to say Serena's motives are bad, and I doubt Elle won on her first try, but it showed that Serena missed the true purpose of performing at these Showcases. It's not about making the most amazing performance ever; it's about making the audience love you and want to vote for you.

Let's not forget the one time Serena met Elle in person (although, unknowingly) the latter immediately tried to cheer Serena up and help her out. I don't really blame Serena for anything, though. I think she did well and I can imagine she'll eventually become the next Kalos Queen in the future, which will never be shown to us, but we can still imagine it. :LOL:

From what I've been able to tell, there's two kinds of champion in the anime... a Tournament Champion and a Regional Champion. You become a Tournament Champion, then you get to face the Elite Four. Beat them, you face the Champion and if you win that then you steal their title and become the Regional Champion (and, I'm guessing, earn the additional title of Pokemon Master).

This does make me wonder where the title of Contest Master comes from. Did Nozomi have to face Mikuri after becoming Top Coordinator?

What Trainers must do to attain the title of Pokémon Master is a mystery. I think it was Ash who said that winning a battle against the Regional Champion is just one of the steps to become a Pokémon Master.

Sadly, they never explained where the title of Contest Master comes from. However, when Dawn entered Lila's shop and Brock showed her Wallace's stage outfit, she said Wallace had used that outfit in the Top Coordinator Carnival. So maybe there's a tournament for Top Coordinators only, and whoever wins becomes a Contest Master?

I forget about Contest Master, which I believe was the title Wallace had, rather than Champion, as Steven holds that title right now. Is there a way Zoey or Soledad could possibly earn this title, if there is a Contest Master in each region? I don't see why the Pokemon Showcases can't be treated in a similar matter though. You win, you join the rank with the other "champions", then you can face the regional Champion/Queen. I don't think it "doesn't make sense" in anyway, if the Pokemon League runs this way.

Rhonda said Wallace was both a Contest Master and a Champion. Steven just took the Champion title from Wallace between the Diamond & Pearl series and the Mega Evolution Specials.

Now you're changing your original statement. You initially wanted the dispute for the title to be a bonus round, and now you're saying Serena should join the rank of Kalos Queen and challenge Aria afterwards [for an even better title].

My problem with your original statement is that you just wanted Serena to be declared the winner of the Master Class for the sake of it. She would win the competition but wouldn't receive a thing (not a tiara, not a trophy, not a title). She would just be given the chance to challenge Aria for the title of Kalos Queen. But if she lost against Aria she would be awarded nothing. Therefore becoming the grand winner of nothing. What's the point of winning the Master Class if you're going to be treated as an ordinary Performer afterwards? There must be a prize.

Excuse me, I am not saying that Serena should be Kalos Queen, though I think her performance was worthy enough. I am saying she should have been able to join the ranks of the first kind of champion as you put it, THEN be given the chance to take on Aria, the second kind of champion, right there. I just think it didn't think it made sense for Aria to be a part of the actual tournament, rather than as a bonus 'take on the champion' round. The whole season it seemed like you had to win the master class to take on Aria.

Last edited:
Things I forgot to mention last time, how oisjoioiahsahh was that moment between Sana and Serena?! Imagine if we'd had such a scene between Hikari and Nozomi, shippers would've gone cray cray!!

I was also so haps to notice Maaiika in the Rocket glomp scene at the end when the poor sod is the only member not to have played any role in the Tripokalon arc, aww :X3:

I have to second those who said we didn't see enough of Elle's performance to make a good judgement on it.
James is still really damn annoying. Seriously, screaming like a maniac isn't going to get Jessie more votes.
Aww come now, haven't you ever cheered like crazy for your BFF when they've stood on the big stage just because you're hyped for them? I don't think he had any ulterior motive :)

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally wanna know what they're saying at the end of their sunset scene but I just found it totally incomprehensible! Wonder if it's a bit ad-lib-y?

But yeah, there's growth here even compared to the Shinnou GF. Laudible stuff.

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally wanna know what they're saying at the end of their sunset scene but I just found it totally incomprehensible! Wonder if it's a bit ad-lib-y?

But yeah, there's growth here even compared to the Shinnou GF. Laudible stuff.

It's basically this -
Jessie - Let's go and eat
James - You're not mad?
Jessie - It's thanks to you I got here, I'm kind of grateful to you
Big hug
Jessie - Get off!
James - Where are we going?
Jessie - You're paying!
Meowth - I love you!

What happened this? Jessie say? Jessie very mad at Meowth when he jumped into Jessie's Gourgesit arms scared. I don't know her.
DP104.jpg
DP105.jpg
aw, so cute Meowth!!

GOODRA REAPPEARED! GOODRA REAPPEARED! COULD THERE STILL BE HOPE THAT GOODRA WILL BE ON ASH'S TEAM AGAIN??!!

What happened this? Jessie say? Jessie very mad at Meowth when he jumped into Jessie's Gourgesit arms scared. I don't know her.
DP104.jpg
DP105.jpg
aw, so cute Meowth!!
According to Brazilian subs, something along these lines.

Meowth: Oh no.
Jessie: Well, getting this far is good enough. They thought I was too pretty to become Kalos Queen.
Meowth: What?

Back
Top Bottom