• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY113: Elle VS Serena! Open the Door to the Future!!

Okay someone want to clarify if she won or lost? It literally just said Serena won the showcase 5 minutes ago and now it changed to say Aria won:mad::mad::mad: SERIOUSLY?

From what I'm guessing, the winner of a Master Class gets to face Aria for the title of Kalos Queen... kinda like how beating the Elite Four allows you the chance to challenge the Champion.

Also, another Meadow Pattern Viviyon? Would it kill the animators to throw us a change once in a while?

Unfortuantely Serena lost despite the fact that her performance was better than Aria's in every conceivable way possible. I knew Serena wasn't going to win anyway, but they could have at least made Aria's performance actually be better than Serena's. I haven't felt so ripped off since Ash's 6v5 loss to Cameron. Basically she does her dance from DreamDream while her voice actress performs it as an insert song, then she used various attacks to make a large flower pattern. Aria just got up and flew around with Vivilion on her back for a bit before combining some attacks in a way that was inferior to Serena's, yet she still won by a substantial number of votes.

It's not that Serena didn't win that annoys me, but that she lost to such an inferior performance. Aria must be a great performer, but the performance she put on here was sub-par. I suppose I'll have to call it payback for Serena beating Cal in the Frey City Rhyhorn Taming Round by doing literally nothing. Sure, she went over and tamed the lone Rhyhorn, but she would have won anyway by simply not doing anything had she chosen to.

I don't know what Palermo said, but I gather she offered Serena an apprenticeship, but Serena turned her down so she could keep travelling with Ash. Palermo then gave her a card, which is presumably how they'll write her off when the Sun/Moon Saga starts.

If they give the next region girl a contest-esque goal (and I hope they do), they'll need to either make sure Gen VII lasts longer or not wait a year to start the contest arc. The first Tripokalon was barely 50 episodes ago, which isn't nearly enough time to devote to an entire arc if you're only going to visit it on average once every 10-15 episodes.

Notable stuff:

- Serena lost to Elle like by a large number of votes.

- Yashio offered to tutor Serena (teach her everything there is about Performing). Serena apologized and declined because she has the journey with her friends and stuff and then Yashio gave Serena a card of some sort (probably with her contact information) and told Serena to contact her when she's ready -> basically, as we all assumed, Serena stays in Kalos with Yashio in XY and Yashio has been there all along as an excuse for Serena to stay in Kalos.

That's..pretty much it.

Also, I'm super proud of the way Jessie handled her loss. She wasn't pissed or furious or anything. She took it like a champ.

^^ I do lime the aspect of TR slowly maturing and evolving (yes, maturing). I believe they'll help out Ash and co. against TF, and I think that they're becoming more anti-heroes. I personally like this change. I also agree that Aria should have had a better performance to win or the votes should have been closer. It's also had because this is more of a popularity contest compared to contests.

I'm calling bullshit on this episode. Serena was better than Aria in every way possible and she lost the Master Class? I knew she wasn't going to win this thing, but she had to beat Aria to win the WHOLE THING, not just Kalos Queen title? Sometime I really hate this show's writers.

My hopes with Palermo have been met, though. Seems like she offered to tutor Serena and finally recognize that someome other than herself and Aria has talent. Seriously though. Serena was better than Aria in every way. Audience bias also?

Last edited:
That was the biggest problem with this episode IMO.

The writers put more effort into Serena's performance than Elle's and as a result, the performance of the current Kalos Queen ended up looking shoddy and simply boring. They should have made it clear through Elle's performance why she's a superior performer, but instead they gave us another sub-average performance from Elle and then had her somehow win.

The Kalos Queen's performance should have been given a lot more time and focus to justify Elle being a Kalos Queen.

This was disappointing my brother just watched this and we knew it wasn't going to end well:cry: I'm still interested to see how the Dub is going to handle this even though at this rate Serena is going to have to really try hard to impress us especially going into gen 7.

What did Jessie say exactly after she lost against Serena and at the end?

I haven't seen the episode, but I'm kinda happy Serena lost. If she'd have won, it would've been unfair to May and Dawn. Hopefully our next female companion is actually gonna do battles and not beauty contests for the fourth time.

I just don't get it anymore. They made Serena's performance look 10x better than Aria's, but she still loses. At least they were creative at the end for Serena's last showcase performance, I guess. What annoys me is that her opposition didn't receive the same treatment. So it's hard to accept Serena lost like this. I suppose it's karma for Serena due to her average performances in some of her previous showcases. This is what happens when you rush things, people!

Palermo asking Serena to be her apprentice was obvious since she was introduced. Since most of us speculated she would have a hand when it came to Serena leaving Ash and the group at the end of the series.

I have to give credit to Jessie for taking her loss more calmly than I expected. Must literally be the only positive thing that came out of this episode.

Welp, here is another failed attempt at a goal for the female MC. There's always next time, right?! :ROFLMAO:

It seems like a lot of people are under the impression that Performances are somehow based on talent and, well, performances? Ha!

The whole things are just glorified popularity contests. The winner isn't whoever puts on the best show; the winner is whoever can convince the most people to come out and vote for them when the time comes. Serena goes into every competition knowing that Satoshi, Citron, and Eureka will vote for her no matter what. Her mom was a guaranteed vote this time around as well. Sana has Tierno and Trova in her corner, so that's two guaranteed votes. Musashi has Kojirou voting for her.

And then there's Elle, the superstar celebrity that everyone in the Kalos region knows about going up against this nobody little ten year old from some small town on the outskirts of the region. Of course people are going to vote for Elle over Serena; the people in the Kalos region actually know who the eff she is. It has nothing to do with how good a Performer she is and everything to do with her name recognition.

Serena never had a chance.

I'm just going to repeat what's been said before, but Serena should have won. Her performance was miles better than Elle's.
I really liked Serena and despite showcases have been terrible, I liked what she did.
I was disappointed in Musavi's performance though. I would've expected more creativity from her. Sana's was just... yawn.
Could not understand much of Serena's talk with Yashio but that's ok. We all know she'll go train or whatever with her and NOT go to the next region (was anyone reallistically expecting her to stay?)
what confused me was the scene at the end with Serena's mom. Was she hiding her injury from her mom or...? That was confusing.
9/10 I really liked this episode and the next one looks amazing!

It seems like a lot of people are under the impression that Performances are somehow based on talent and, well, performances? Ha!

The whole things are just glorified popularity contests. The winner isn't whoever puts on the best show; the winner is whoever can convince the most people to come out and vote for them when the time comes. Serena goes into every competition knowing that Satoshi, Citron, and Eureka will vote for her no matter what. Her mom was a guaranteed vote this time around as well. Sana has Tierno and Trova in her corner, so that's two guaranteed votes. Musashi has Kojirou voting for her.

And then there's Elle, the superstar celebrity that everyone in the Kalos region knows about going up against this nobody little ten year old from some small town on the outskirts of the region. Of course people are going to vote for Elle over Serena; the people in the Kalos region actually know who the eff she is. It has nothing to do with how good a Performer she is and everything to do with her name recognition.

Serena never had a chance.

Serena should have tried to make Kalos great again.

Back
Top Bottom