• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY115: Battling at Full Volume!

She didn't do too bad for someone who hardly ever battles. This was what, maybe her third battle the whole series? And with a Pokemon that wasn't hers. She's definitely not Ash though, which added to the humor in all of it in my opinion. It was hilarious watching her try to figure out strategies.

I already figured I'd like this episode before even watching it. I LOVED it. This was so hilariously awesome.

I like how the episode started with Ash training, though I kind of wish it was Noivern over Pikachu since he just evolved and hasn't done much yet. He seems more fitting for training. But that's just a really minor thing.

Jimmy and Spike's intro was great. They're both hilarious and I love Jimmy's design.

OMZ Ash died. Lol, but seriously, that I/Iron Tail joke was great. Ok seriously, what the hell happened to Clemont's map? After Serena joined (heck after the only episode in which he used it) it seems like Clemont's map just vanished from the face of the earth. Whatever. Again, minor thing that still kinda bugs me. I did like how Serena had all of her Pokemon help take care of Ash.

Jimmy's Pika-speech to Serena was hilarious. I loved Spike's excessive head banging and rocking out. I lol'd when he got dizzy afterwards, he's so cute. It's kind of a shame that this CoTD and his Pikachu are more entertaining and have more personality than the main character and his Pikachu. And now, Serena-Ash appears. But really though, did Jimmy really not notice that "Ash" and Serena had the exact same hair?

I have to say, I really wish Spike wore the outfit of Pikachu Rock Star. He's literally a little rock star owned by a rock star. Missed opportunity man:( Anyway, I really liked that Spike had a few different moves from Pikachu. It was kind of annoying that they didn't really show off his non repeat moves more and preferred to have Quick Attack and Thunderbolt clashes. Regardless, I'm glad we got a bit of Pika diversity.

I also loved how Serena took on some of Ash's characteristics such as the hat adjustment. I really liked that she used Ash's Iron Tail on Dig strategy from Clemont's gym battle. But seriously, she thinks she's watched Ash battle up close more than anyone? Lol, probably shouldn't tell her about Brock:p And geez that must have been a super long battle if Clemont and Bonnie were able to get the medicine and return with the battle still going on. Hm, so Serena and Pikachu's method of not being exposed it to just start screaming? OK. I love how unimpressed Bonnie was at Serena's ruse. But really, did Jimmy not notice that Serenash's voice changed?

Damn those must have been some Grade A meds if they can heal Ash in like 2 minutes. Idk why, but I loved that hat throw. I'm also glad all of Serena's Pokemon joined in on attacking TR. I was worried Ash might just make his extreme recovery and handle TR by himself. Jimmy and Spike performance after praising Serena...just hilarious. Man, I wish this guy would have been a recurring character.

Overall a fabulous episode. 9/10.

A bit overhyped if you ask me. Jimmy and Spike's shtick wore off really quickly.

At parts this eppy was indeed funny seeing Serena act like Ash was rather a nice touch.

I just have to say this;

Notice how Serena was looking right at Ash while he was stretching in nothing but his shorts and a tank top, and he was clearly aware of that and just kept on stretching. If i didn't know better, I'd say that Serena was actually enjoying the view of Ash's exposed arms and legs, and he was actually trying to flex in front her on purpose

Warning: This is just my opinion.

The episode itself (not the dub):

It's...mediocre. What basically happens is Ash is ill, so then Serena takes his place battling a rocker guy named Jimmy, while Bonnie and Clemont go get medicine to help Ash. Then, Team Rocket interfere as usual and sing, Ash gets better and beats them, Jimmy eats with them, end of episode. Not bad, but not good, either. 70/100

Good things I have to say about the dub:

Ed Goldfarb at least let 5 pieces of Japanese music stay in the dub, which is good by XY dub standards (I know that's not really saying anything given every other dubbed saga kept more of the Japanese music than this one has, but hey, beats the usual standards, right? I'll take it).

Paschall's impression of Ash is closer to Taylor's than Natochenny's imo, I kinda bought it more as a boy than what the latter does tbqh.

Bad things I have to say about the dub:

Team Rocket still can't stop rhyming and alliterating. Meowth's dialogue is the worst, followed by Jessie's, in this one.

Bonnie's catchphrase in the dub is still "Wowie" for whatever reason: been happening for several episodes but I'm surprised it hasn't gone away. Personally, I think it's dumb.

The TPCi dub script writer failed to use proper grammar for Serena's statement to Ash at the start of the episode: it's not 'You'll catch cold," it's "You'll catch a cold," for god sakes.

Jimmy (the rocker guy) has the worst voice of any incidental character or rival or COTD in the whole dub imo: he makes Jump, Cameron, and Sawyer sound good, that's how awful he sounds.

This was pretty good. I loved jimmy's personality, and while it draged on a bit, that team rocket stage motto was good. 7/10

The best part of this episode was Team Rocket, Jimmy, and Serena for that matter, should fall into a furnace.

• Not sure if I said this when the episode first aired in Japan but I thought it was cool how during this one scene when Jimmy is introducing himself the background used Pikachu's older, fatter design as a pattern. It was a nice throwback, intentional or not
  • I actually really like Haven Paschall's performance as Serena. She's definitely one of the highlights of the XY dub cast.
  • The dub performances overall are getting better, maybe Lisa Ortiz is actually a good director? The dialogue is still meh but at least the performances are getting better.

Wow, I am glad they kept the Team Rocket's Team Song background music during their motto! And that whole motto singing scene was good. I was afraid they would try to change it somehow (I was expecting them to sing it differently), but they tried to keep it faithful to the Japanese version! Even though the background music was different at the beginning, it carried the same feeling. And when the true motto blasted, they said it nicely!

Wow, Haven Paschall does a really good Ash voice!
Now I kinda want her replace Sarah...

I said this back when the Jap version aired, but I love Jimmy, Spike, and how over the top they are! Too bad the dub did them a disservice and made Jimmy kinda annoying (though I saw it coming). I wish he'd made another appearance.
Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing him in an Ash-free special where THIS happens...

199.jpg

"I challenge you to a rock off!"

139.jpg

"Come at me Bro!"

Last edited:
It wound up a pretty good episode, though what does it say about Serena is people think she looks like a boy XD

Jimmy has a weird goal... Dig makes sense on his Pikachu at least and he looks pretty cool, better than the usual Pikachu design (Spike, that is)

Ash not caring she's in his clothes, clearly wants the smell of her to stay on them ;). Also was a good lol when she thought he'd confess.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom