• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY115: Serena Becomes Satoshi! The Strongest Pikachu Showdown!!

This episode was really something i have to admit and Aya matsui wrote this filler of an episode? oh my goodness! Anyway, my brother had me watch this and it was so good plus all the interactions were really something. BTW when was the last time this person wrote an episode since DP or BW?

I'd say this was the best filler episode in a long time. I enjoyed Serena dressing up as Ash and battling alongside with Pikachu and she actually did a great job. It was funny when Ash was sick, collapsed into Serena's Arms, her blushing, and Ash saying something to her which made her even blush more. I loved it when Bonnie was teasing Serena after she realized why she was in Ash's clothes. I also loved the scene when Serena threw Ash's hat to him and how Ash put it on. I thought the rocker with the Pikachu was a little weird. My wtf moment was when Team Rocket was dressed up in costumes and singing.

BTW when was the last time this person wrote an episode since DP or BW?

The only thing she wrote during the Best Wishes era was the Eevee & Friends short. She was a writer for both the Advanced Generation and the Diamond & Pearl series, her last episode was Strategy Begins at Home!, in which Dawn battles Johanna.

The only thing she wrote during the Best Wishes era was the Eevee & Friends short. She was a writer for both the Advanced Generation and the Diamond & Pearl series, her last episode was Strategy Begins at Home!, in which Dawn battles Johanna.
Interesting because while watching this I definitely felt those vibes while watching this plus yet again more DP attention in gen 6 so this gets a(y)

Something tells me that Ash only brought one pair of his XY series outfit when Serena dressed up as him, unless it was common with the previous series.

This episode is in fact very very funny. Wow, I am surprised.

Instead of talking about good things of this episode, which is a ton, I would like to point out the the only thing I don't like in this episode. That being Team Rocket's Motto dragging a total of 2 minute and is painful to watch instead of being funny. I will say it was funny for a while but after 30 second I just wish it will end immediately.

Overall Serena is very good at being Ash and that handling of Dig is damn good XD. And the COTD is just funny, like funny, at first a bit obnoxious but in the end its just pure fun. Bonnie's little jab at Serena just added to the fun I am enjoying.

Jimmy for league rival! (not really, but he is indeed a fun character to have)

I already figured I'd like this episode before even watching it. I LOVED it. This was so hilariously awesome.

I like how the episode started with Ash training, though I kind of wish it was Noivern over Pikachu since he just evolved and hasn't done much yet. He seems more fitting for training. But that's just a really minor thing.

Jimmy and Tongari's intro was great. They're both hilarious and I love Jimmy's design.

OMZ Ash died. Lol, but seriously, that Ai/Iron Tail joke was great. Ok seriously, what the hell happened to Clemont's map? After Serena joined (heck after the only episode in which he used it) it seems like Clemont's map just vanished from the face of the earth. Whatever. Again, minor thing that still kinda bugs me. I did like how Serena had all of her Pokemon help take care of Ash.

Jimmy's and Tongari's intro to Serena was hilarious. I loved Tongari's excessive head banging and rocking out. I lol'd when he got dizzy afterwards, he's so cute. It's kind of a shame that this CoTD and his Pikachu are more entertaining and have more personality than the main character and his Pikachu. And now, Serena-Ash appears. But really though, did Jimmy really not notice that "Ash" and Serena had the exact same hair?

Jimmy and Tongari's Who's That Pokemon was great, and seriously, they included Pikachu Rock Star of the Pikachu choices. That just makes me wish more and more that Tongari wore that outfit. He's literally a little rock star owned by a rock star. The mohawk is cute and all, but missed opportunity man:(

I really liked that Tongari had a few different moves from Pikachu. It was kind of annoying that they didn't really show off his non repeat moves more and preferred to have Quick Attack and Thunderbolt clashes. Regardless, I'm glad we got a bit of Pika diversity.

I also loved how Serena took on some of Ash's characteristics such as the hat adjustment. I really liked that she used Ash's Iron Tail on Dig strategy from Clemont's gym battle. And geez that must have been a super long battle if Clemont and Bonnie were able to get the medicine and return with the battle still going on. Hm, so Serena and Pikachu's method of not being exposed it to just start screaming? OK. I love how unimpressed Bonnie was at Serena's ruse.

Damn those must have been some Grade A meds if they can heal Ash in like 2 minutes. Idk why, but I loved that hat throw. I'm also glad all of Serena's Pokemon joined in on attacking TR. I was worried Ash might just make his extreme recovery and handle TR by himself. Jimmy and Tongari's performance after praising Serena...just hilarious. Man, I wish this guy would have been a recurring character.

Overall a fabulous episode. 9/10.

This episode was gold, well mostly. I really wanted Serena to finish her battle.

MMMM...DP nostalgia...

*gets on knees*

Oh Arceus in your dimension, please let Jimmy return someday! (League appearance, anyone?)

All this and Giovanni cameos too! :D

You know all the praise I've heard from this guy from this site (Which always struck me as somewhat grouchy overall) inspired me to put him down on T.V tropes as an Ensemble Darkhorse.

Great episode. Similarly to everyone here, I loved the DP vibes this episode had. It surely was a great episode, to the point that if I wanted to the introduce the anime to someone I would consider showing this episode.

Loved those two Meowth's Boss Fantasies, and I thought it was really neat that they used Giovanni's old design for Meowth's second fantasy! When Giovanni was "hand-drawn" his classic orange suit was visible, and I really enjoyed it. Moreover, now I can't stop saying "Obioiaru".

And that motto was a surprise! I wasn't expecting anything new motto-wise for this episode, so I was surprised to watch the whole sequence, which I loved, and I particularly enjoyed the transition from "disguised motto" to "real motto", when 'Roketto dan danka' started. Everything about the motto fitted, and it was perfect.

Don't like this episode. Adds on to the armourshipping and my dislike for Serena has increased. I hope next episode is better.

Great episode but I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper hated how Musashi and Kojirou acted like this was the first time they had ever heard of anyone doing a Sakaki Boss Fantasy. Their sudden inability to remember the entirety of Houen, Battle Frontier, and Sinnoh was just...ugh.

Does anyone know if the motto was parodying anything specific? (@Dogasu?...)

It doesn't seem to be anything specific other than it being a very Japanese-y enka performance to help balance things out. The Rocket-Dan always have to be the center of attention so when they're put up against a guy with an electric guitar who screams all the time then they probably figured that the best way to draw everyone's eyes their way was to do something equally over the top. That enka performance is what they came up with.

(also, the animation during that performance was really, really good)

Great episode but I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper hated how Musashi and Kojirou acted like this was the first time they had ever heard of anyone doing a Sakaki Boss Fantasy. Their sudden inability to remember the entirety of Houen, Battle Frontier, and Sinnoh was just...ugh.
Aww you have to be a bit forgiving, they're a bit rusty when it comes to being themselves. I think they'd warmed up well enough by the time they did their little enka thing ;-) The overall trajectory is headed in the right direction...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom