• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY115: Serena Becomes Satoshi! The Strongest Pikachu Showdown!!

They say that a good first impression is enough to make your audience switch off – they know you’re good. Well congratulations Aya Matsui, by the time the opening credits started rolling my critical voice was well and truly shut down and I just enjoyed the rest of the show! You know you’re onto a winner when the cold opening is Satoshi training (finally!) and Nyasu having a boss fantasy dream (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!)

Because I was so relaxed, I didn’t pay that much attention to specifics so I don’t have a great deal to add apart from that I loved:
- Jimmy and Pikacchama
- Jimmy being referred to Satoshi by the TRio, LOLMAO
- Serena being sooooo embarrassing/embarrassed, the scenes when Satoshi fell into her arms ("I-- Iron Tail" hahahahahahahaha), Citron/Eureka returned, Musashi outed her and Satoshi emerged from the tent were dreamy
- Satoshi <3 Hat power is back.
- That motto – WHAT THE HELL – so amazing (why did they bother finishing it with the reused animation, they should have just done without!)

Overall a sublime episode, good job. I hope Aya Matsui can come back as a regular writer!

They say that a good first impression is enough to make your audience switch off – they know you’re good. Well congratulations Aya Matsui, by the time the opening credits started rolling my critical voice was well and truly shut down and I just enjoyed the rest of the show! You know you’re onto a winner when the cold opening is Satoshi training (finally!) and Nyasu having a boss fantasy dream (FINALLY!!!!!!!!!)

Because I was so relaxed, I didn’t pay that much attention to specifics so I don’t have a great deal to add apart from that I loved:
- Jimmy and Pikacchama
- Jimmy being referred to Satoshi by the TRio, LOLMAO
- Serena being sooooo embarrassing/embarrassed, the scenes when Satoshi fell into her arms ("I-- Iron Tail" hahahahahahahaha), Citron/Eureka returned, Musashi outed her and Satoshi emerged from the tent were dreamy
- Satoshi <3 Hat power is back.
- That motto – WHAT THE HELL – so amazing (why did they bother finishing it with the reused animation, they should have just done without!)

Overall a sublime episode, good job. I hope Aya Matsui can come back as a regular writer!
I agree with this so much. Aya Matsui please come back!
Serena was so bloody cute this episode.

Good thing is Aya Matsui is the writter for this episode, and I'm really glad he's back and done a good job.

Serena is in the title card, not Ash, and Clemont reads the title for this episode.

I like how Ash is saying to Serena Iron Tail misspelling it as I love you. Giovanni fantasy returns after a little break. Boy, this episode rocks!

Serena dressed as Ash was really something exciting.

I know I've been less keen on filler in XY, but this was amazing. Serena's impersonation of Ash was actually pretty damn good, that it sounded almost like Matsumoto, and there were some rather funny bits here as well. Overall, great episode. Absolutely nothing to hate about this, besides Jimmy's over-excitedness.

Hate to be a killjoy here, but apart from Serena flash backing and repeating that strategy from an earlier episode, I have nothing good to say.

The battle was nice. I hope Serena gets to battle more.

Good thing is Aya Matsui is the writter for this episode, and I'm really glad he's back and done a good job.

Matsui Aya is a woman.

Fun fact: Matsui was a writer for Dragon Ball Z and the head writer of Dragon Ball GT. Midway through Dragon Ball GT she went on maternity leave, however.

This was a really great episode. Some of my favorite parts include Serena utilizing the Iron Tail-Dig counter that Ash used against Clemont, Serena screaming when Clemont and Bonnie returned and Ash apparently saying "I love you."

However, the ending really undermined Serena's capability and progress. To have Ash miraculously recover like that and proceed to take over only reinforces the notion that none of the XY cast are truly able to act independently of him. Serena was more than capable of handling Team Rocket herself, rescuing the Pikachus and, if time permit, finish and win the battle with Jimmy. But alas, that was not the case.

(*side note for anyone who has played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth...Jimmy and Jimmy KEN anyone?)

This was a really great episode. Some of my favorite parts include Serena utilizing the Iron Tail-Dig counter that Ash used against Clemont, Serena screaming when Clemont and Bonnie returned and Ash apparently saying "I love you."

However, the ending really undermined Serena's capability and progress. To have Ash miraculously recover like that and proceed to take over only reinforces the notion that none of the XY cast are truly able to act independently of him. Serena was more than capable of handling Team Rocket herself, rescuing the Pikachus and, if time permit, finish and win the battle with Jimmy. But alas, that was not the case.

(*side note for anyone who has played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth...Jimmy and Jimmy KEN anyone?)

That'd be "Jimiken". The episode itself was good.

You would have to be pretty good to come in and write one filler episode to make someone wish you would write the rest of the series!

Overall, it was pretty funny. Ash's "I-I-iron tail" and Serena and Pikachu screaming are favorites, but I found the scene where Serena passes Ash his hat kinda funny too. Gotta have the sacred hat. And Bonnie picking at Serena was also amusing.

I don't know how long it took Bonnie and Clement to go to and from town, but it seemed Serena held up on her own pretty good for sometime. I, too, would have preferred that Serena and others handle the TRio without Ash.

9/10

PROS:
*The dogpile with Nyarth, Sonansu, and Maiika. (Could somebody care to tell me what they were saying during that scene?)
Satoshi being Satoshi again. One Amourshipping moment after the other. Lmao. Let us see the reactions! ^_^
*Jimmy and his Pikapal were pretty fun and memorable characters, unlike some flat and bland ones that I can't remember (lol irony).
*Serena being in Satoshi's clothes. The fanart is going to spread like crazy.
*Godangit Eureka, this episode immiedately made you more like able then last episode. She was being so cheeky at the battle scene.
*Maiika being outside of its Pokeball for something other then battling? HOLY CRAP!
*TRio's disguises actually got to me this time! Nyarth ruined it though.
CONS:
*I wanted Serena to blast off TRio with just Pikachu. :<
*Unless I got the scene wrong, I thought TRio would battle with Jimmy..
*Satoshi didn't really get much screentime despite having his name in the title. It would've been smarter to have him say the episodes name in a sick voice.

THOUGHTS:
*What the heck were TRio doing in the pre-motto performance? Whatever it was, it brought back their pre-BW charm, I suppose.
*Serena's hat was abandoned for the entire episode.
*What was Satoshi going to dress in if Serena had his clothes on?

9/10

Last edited:
Yea, this one pretty much met all my expectations. Plenty of cute moments, and funny ones at that.

I do wish Serena had the chance to finish her battle with Jimmy, or at the very least been the one to send Team Rocket off.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom