• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY116: Satoshi and Alan! Gekkouga VS Mega Lizardon Once Again!!

WatcherMark

Reaction score
XY116 - Bulbapedia, the community driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Man, a LOT happened during this episode. Onvern finally got to appear again after evolving (and, judging from the battle, really needs a new move), the strain of Gekkouga's new form is finally getting to Satoshi and it seems from the way Manon was acting Hari-chan is starting to recover.

But that second battle... man, I wish it had been allowed to finish. Gekkouga really had Lizardon on the ropes.

EDIT: And it looks like I was just beaten to making this thread so I guess they'll have to be merged.

BEST moment was Pikachu getting hyped about the Alan battle and next scene Satoshi chooses Onvern and Pikachu is pissed! (I shed a small tear that Pikachu didn't get terribly involved in the whole fainting/his Pikapi is secretly a bit miserable story - they could have at least had a bit of a cuddle or sumfink :-( ) Onvern reminded us this episode of how shitty its moveset it, but also of how bloomin' cute it is.

Manon is a kind soul to send Alan such a peppy message after how he last treat her. I really hope he doesn't get any ideas about doing the league after his and Satoshi's little chat...

The pulse synchronisation would have been a bit more convincing if they hadn't been going at exactly the same rate in every shot prior to it!

The group told Alain about Ash challenging the Kalos League and asked him whether he would participate as well - he denied it. Though the idea is now out there, so who knows? Plus now that we know he has more than one Pokemon, it's always a possibility.

Given how powerful Alan's Pokemon are, he could easily blitz the Gyms and enter the League. We don't know how long it is until the competition, so there's likely plenty of time to get the badges.

Also, I wouldn't mind Alan entering the League as Satoshi badly needs a decent rival for it. Neither Shota or Tierno are proving to be anything to worry about, and I don't want a last minute addition like Kotetsu (still one of my most hated characters) jumping in and being Satoshi's main opponent.

Also, I wouldn't mind Alan entering the League as Satoshi badly needs a decent rival for it. Neither Shota or Tierno are proving to be anything to worry about, and I don't want a last minute addition like Kotetsu (still one of my most hated characters) jumping in and being Satoshi's main opponent.
Honestly I'd rather Ash lost to Alain than Sawyer.

There is no real incentive for him when he can already challenge Elite Four members and other Mega Evolution users.
There will, without a doubt, be Mega Evolution users at the League. Sawyer is getting Mega Sceptile, Ash has his special Greninja and who knows what else. Trevor with Charizard Y? Tierno with Mega Blastoise?

I don't see why he wouldn't want to participate.

There will, without a doubt, be Mega Evolution users at the League. Sawyer is getting Mega Sceptile, Ash has his special Greninja and who knows what else. Trevor with Charizard Y? Tierno with Mega Blastoise?
He is already battling Ash and I don't see why he would go out of his way for the possibility of battling more Mega Evolution users. There are bigger fish to fry.

I don't see why he wouldn't want to participate.
He cleary hasn't wanted to participate so far.

He is already battling Ash and I don't see why he would go out of his way for the possibility of battling more Mega Evolution users. There are bigger fish to fry.
Because he wants to battle Mega Evolution users? What bigger fish?

He cleary hasn't wanted to participate so far.
'So far' being the key word. There's nothing saying Alain can't go for the League after the Flare climax. The writers have brought up the idea which makes it a possibility now.

Because he wants to battle Mega Evolution users? What bigger fish?
The Elite Four. He defeated Malva and it stands to reason that he would want to battle the other three and Diantha. He obviously doesn't need to win a league for that.

'So far' being the key word. There's nothing saying Alain can't go for the League after the Flare climax. The writers have brought up the idea which makes it a possibility now.
I'd like to see a translation of his response. Context is key.

Well at least we all know now that the scene in the op isn't shits and giggles

Also something in this episode proved my point of Alain being another version of Ash but I forgot oh well Lysander did choose Alain because he was the only pure hearted child he could find at the time so I can expect some ash like things like this from him..

Also it wasn't just the strain ash and greninja fell out of sync which would leave some great character development for ash I like also since the writers are ACTUALLY doing something from the opening instead of faking it like the bw one then I can bodly say ash may win the league because these writers are different.... Extremely....

Also yep Serena shrieked first as expected...... THE AMOUR :giggle:

The Elite Four. He defeated Malva and it stands to reason that he would want to battle the other three and Diantha. He obviously doesn't need to win a league for that.
No, he doesn't need to do that, but Alain can still challenge the League to fight other Mega Evolution trainers. I mean, a place where he knows he will certainly encounter different Mega Evolutions, why miss out on something like that? They're no Elite 4 trainers, but they are still trainers with Mega Evolutions.

I'd like to see a translation of his response. Context is key.
Fair enough. The only thing I know for sure is that Alain didn't say that he is challenging the League, but we need the whole exchange as I'm sure Alain said something else, though I'm not sure what it is.

[QUOTE="Tsutarja, post: 5838326, member: 3]Because he wants to battle Mega Evolution users? What bigger fish?

'So far' being the key word. There's nothing saying Alain can't go for the League after the Flare climax. The writers have brought up the idea which makes it a possibility now.[/QUOTE]
He never will stop that sawyer is all the challenge we need right now nobody else just stop it

He never will stop that sawyer is all the challenge we need right now nobody else just stop it
Until he has some real buildup and we actually see him win some noteworthy battles on-screen, one example being Ash and friends watching his eighth gym battle, then I wouldn't want Sawyer beating Ash. There's still some time left before the league.

No, he doesn't need to do that, but Alain can still challenge the League to fight other Mega Evolution trainers. I mean, a place where he knows he will certainly encounter different Mega Evolutions, why miss out on something like that? They're no Elite 4 trainers, but they are still trainers with Mega Evolutions.

Fair enough. The only thing I know for sure is that Alain didn't say that he is challenging the League, but we need the whole exchange as I'm sure Alain said something else, though I'm not sure what it is.
When Bonnie asks Alain if he's also challenging the league, he said "いや, とくには", which means "Not particularly". And then when Ash tells him that there's a lot of strong trainers and pokemon at the league, Alain replies "that must be fun". While he isn't really aiming for the league right now (with Lysandre's work and Manon on his mind right now), the possibility of him challenging the league is certainly out there.

Until he has some real buildup and we actually see him win some noteworthy battles on-screen, one example being Ash and friends watching his eighth gym battle, then I wouldn't want Sawyer beating Ash. There's still some time left before the league.
  1. Can someone PLZ tell me how to box the quotes :cry::cry:
  2. THATS THE PROBLEM Sawyer is a weakling but the strongest weakling so why take in alain who is certain to make ash lose when we already have the weakling in shota who can help ash win the win the league alain will destoy ash shota will get destroyed I'm just desperate where even the lame rivals ARE the things that give me hope for ash to win even though they can bring in that late introduced rival but nobody wants that and these writers most of the time give us what we want and sometimes leave out the things that we don't want like the phantump ^-^ ok I was one of the people who didn't want ash to catch the phantump but when it was said to be shiny I was half on board but it looks like he's not catching it which leaves me half disappointed and half happy...

Alain going into the league isn't a possibly I'd rule out, but such a revelation should definitely wait until after the issues with Team Flare and Mairin are cleared up.
I'm somewhat unsurprised that it's been left up in the air.

Last edited:
When Bonnie asks Alain if he's also challenging the league, he said "いや, とくには", which means "Not particularly". And then when Ash tells him that there's a lot of strong trainers and pokemon at the league, Alain replies "that must be fun". While he isn't really aiming for the league right now (with Lysandre's work and Manon on his mind right now), the possibility of him challenging the league is certainly out there.
Ah, thank you so much!

Yeah, at this point, it's a possibility. It would be foolish to completely negate it otherwise the writers wouldn't have bothered writing it in the first place. I mean, he doesn't seem completely dismissive of the League but he doesn't seem to have any plans either so it could go either way.

The only question is whether the writers would prefer to have Ash lose to Sawyer or Alain as some sort of major League climax.

Clemont got to be useful and finally we get to see him battle some more! Alain though is still is as OP as ever and he better stay out of the league like he says he is. I hate this character so much. Someone take him down! I still feel like I'm the only one here who not only doesn't want to see him in the league and beating Ash, but have Sawyer beat Ash, like the writers SEEM to be building up to.

Ah, thank you so much!

Yeah, at this point, it's a possibility. It would be foolish to completely negate it otherwise the writers wouldn't have bothered writing it in the first place. I mean, he doesn't seem completely dismissive of the League but he doesn't seem to have any plans either so it could go either way.

The only question is whether the writers would prefer to have Ash lose to Sawyer or Alain as some sort of major League climax.
  1. Neither let the kid win for once
  2. ok never mind laptop's better than mobile any day...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom