• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY121: The Bewildering Woods... The Dawn of Evolution!

I really liked Team Rocket's role in this episode.

They saw Pikachu alone in the snowstorm and went after it. Pikachu used Thunderbolt on them but it didn't work on Team Rocket at all, it had no effect on them (maybe because Pikachu was worried about Ash?). They realized Pikachu was weak in its current condition and they were like 'we don't want a weak Pikachu' and simply walked away lol. Then at the conclusion of the episode TR came back to challenge Pikachu again and were overjoyed when he managed to blast them off with his old, powerful Thunderbolt.

The young Ash flashback was unexpected but a nice touch. Really does show you who Ash is deep down. Under his bravado, his recklessness, his maturity, his immaturity, and every other layer that Satoshi has is a young boy who loves Pokémon.

This also happens to be Serena and Ash's first argument/bickering since ever. I wonder what they are saying...?

I want to like this episode but overall I didn't quite. Best bits were the Pikachu/TRio interactions + their bizarre happiness at getting a nice full bolt. (Does anyone else find it jokes that Kojiro's backside has been referenced now twice in XY as being his Pikachu gauge? :p) Oh and Snow Dedenne and Eureka Dedenne fantasy in PokeTV was also v. cute.

Every time I thought the Satoshi story was about to break through and make me really sad/happy, it just fell short. I liked the whole "I understand why you're upset" "NO YOU DON'T JUST FO" scene, especially when Serena threw the snowballs lololololol, and I think Satoshi's response to that was appropriate. I just wish she'd felt less guilty afterwards! I wish they'd all been a lot more annoyed at Satoshi - I bloody would be! - for dragging them out into a snowstorm and ultimately delivering nothing more than a pretty weak apology. Pikachu more than the others should have given him a telling off.

As for Satoshi, his misery was resolved a little too early in the episode for it to have felt worthwhile. I want to love the flashbacks but for some reason I didn't... Maybe because I was flashing back to a different scene from his past. I also don't understand how I am supposed to believe that the Satoshi Geckouga problem is now over. The ball rolling scene & fist/ball bump at the end was nice though. (I laughed when they high-fived earlier in the episode - new Pearlshipping born?!)

Maybe I just need a rewatch and it'll grow on me :-(

Lmao at Serena throwing snowballs at Ash, he did deserve it although I didn't expect Serena to be so upset.

The flashback scene certainly came unexpected. This would have been a nice moment to have a flashback to Snow Way Out but then the Charizard return episode already gave us that and you can't have everything. Seeing something from Ash's childhood is nice too, as we seldomly get a look at Ash's childhood years.

I'm kind of surprised the League will be held in Lumiose tbh. My wishful thinking was that they would take the train in Lumiose and then the League would be held in Kiloude City (would've been a nice opportunity to visit that location).

I saw the screen caps, the League Stadium looks to be inspired by Stade de France. May end up being awkward, considering....well, you know....

My only complaint is were, Talonflame and the are there is disappearing halfway through and all the Spewpa becoming Meadow pattern. Otherwise, 9/10

Ash's flashbacks, despite being similar to that, make complete sense to me. Ash was reflecting on who he was, what motivated him to become a Trainer. That's why he was remembering how he loved and helped Pokémon before even becoming a Trainer in the first place. I don't really mind if we're lacking flashbacks to previous series, as long as we're getting more depth on Ash's backstory as a child, something we have barely seen before.

Ash's flashbacks, despite being similar to that, make complete sense to me. Ash was reflecting on who he was, what motivated him to become a Trainer. That's why he was remembering how he loved and helped Pokémon before even becoming a Trainer in the first place. I don't really mind if we're lacking flashbacks to previous series, as long as we're getting more depth on Ash's backstory as a child, something we have barely seen before.
Ash don't tell much about his childhood, but that are important momories for him!!!

I agree that the flashback used made sense and it is indeed worthwhile to be reminded that Satoshi existed before his Pokemon journey began.

It just had no emotional resonance with me, that's all.

I agree that the flashback used made sense and it is indeed worthwhile to be reminded that Satoshi existed before his Pokemon journey began.

It just had no emotional resonance with me, that's all.
The Rocket was also funny, they wak away, because Pikachu isn't strong enough!!!:)

This was a very good episode. Never seen a Pokemon episode with such emotion like this in a while. The fact that Squishy helped Greninja reunite with Ash is a real cool moment that shows he's grown comfy with the entire gang, not just Bonnie. And the scene of Ash-Greninja being perfected was too awesome!

One thing I didn't like was the Ash/Serena drama in this, or shall I say the lack-thereof. It seemed to be written well initially. I was very taken aback with how tehy had their first fight, and how Ash flat out yelled right at Serena. However, it ended just as quickly as it began and there was little force. She was pissed at Ash for about 2 minute (40 seconds when she returned to the Pokemon Center), and became guilty all too quickly. I personally would have had Serena be more upset to the guiltdriven Ash for the entire episode, perhaps a couple after as well, but once the snow falls, she immediately feels bad. The worst bit: NO ONE FUCKING APOLOGIZED!! It's like Ash thanked her for making him see, and they're automatically all cool.

Besides that small bit of criticism, I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long while. Highly recommended, and I cannot wait for the dub.

This episode was genius! The drama, intensity and Ash himself finally coming to terms with everything that's happened. Greninja himself was really great to see and looks like they mastered Ash-Greninja with TR actually not being as annoying as I thought they would be. Definitely 1 of the best episodes by far and gives it a 10/10 stay tuned next week for the Final battle of the Badge!! BTW I too am looking forward to how the Dub will handle this powerfulness of an episode.

I'm not invested in the shipping aspect of our fandom, but it was nice to have Serena getting angry at Ash for acting so out of character. Aside from all the spaghetti, Ash is an inspiration for Serena due to his approach to Pokémon training. Naturally, if someone who always encourages you to do your best becomes depressed to the point of sitting alone in a forest instead of shaking it off and starting over, you are going to get pissed.

I'm not going to complain that a snowball in the face served as a wake-up call to the Pallet kid, but I would have liked to see more of depressed Ash. He went back to being himself at the beginning of the episode. It was resolved way too quickly. In Uncrushing Defeat!, even though Ash had his Pokémon cheering him up + Dawn and her Pokémon acting as circus performers, he only fully recovered at the end of the episode.

But that's it. This was a cute episode. I loved Team Rocket here. Loved. It reminded me of the old days. They don't want a weak Pikachu, and they're super happy while being hit by a Thunderbolt coming right after Pikachu happily reunited with his Trainer. And then there's little Ash hugging Pokémon (was he returning from school? He had a backpack. So he had access to Pokémon education before going on a journey? I bet he slept in most classes). And that scene at the Pokémon Center mirroring the day Ash caught Froakie. And to top it all, Bonnie-Dedenne on Poké TV.
SOOOO freaking cute.
cute.gif

Finally the Filler is over.

Ash can finally win his last badge.

Also what a cop out.

Team rocket could have taken Pikachu back to kanto, be showered with enough money to live like kings forever and gtfo of this show forever but nope.

So I was able to make this out from the dialogue between Ash and Serena in the beginning(Spanish subs):

Serena: "Satoshi!"

Satoshi/Ash: "I'm sorry that I left so suddenly."

Serena: "Erm...If you're still feeling uneasy on anything, just tell me. Even if it's just a minor thing, let me try to help you. I understand the way you're feeling, Satoshi. Whenever I lost a Tripokalon, I always felt...

Satoshi/Ash: "You don't understand anything at all!"

Serena: "Then tell me!"

Satoshi/Ash: "It's my own problem. Don't worry about me."

Serena: "The Satoshi I knew was always energetic, pulled everyone along, always did his best, positive, would never give up until the very last moment. That's why I..I.."

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom