• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY122: Satoshi Gekkouga VS Mega Yukinooh! Unleash the Giant Water Shuriken!!

I didn't liked the battle much. It started out with a decent introductory match between Pikachu and Bergmite, but then it just transformed into another overglorification of Ash where he is the answer to everything. It looked like Talonflame had a hard time against Avalugg, but compared to XY120 he had an easy time where nothing feel really rewarded. And then there's Greninja vs Abomasnow, where no drama could be felt and Abomasnow was made a sponge so Greninja could hit it more times. I thought the lesson learned whas that Ash should enjoy the battles instead of attack attack attack, and this semi-battle was exactly that.

I hoped the episode would fix the past episode's mistakes, but instead it made them more clear. I'm not buying that all this power comes from "Hi. Please save that Spewpa from falling".

You and me both on every single point, buddy. Can't say it any better myself.
I just dont understand
how could Ash beaten Aavlugg so easily this time

i understand that Ash pokemon done some training before but it took all three of his pokemon to try to beaten this pokemon the first gym battle then the rematch it took Pikachu and Talonflame

Even Ash Greniniga wasn't powerful enough to beaten this Avalugg even it wasnt fully form yet.

Ash defeated Avalugg this easily because Avalugg didn't have Ice Body active this time and Pikachu did weaken it a bit, before Talonflame was sent out. Talonflame got two Flame Charges in and a Steel Wing, combined with Pikachu's Thunder.
Ayup, all because Abomasnow was saved for last to be used for our titular clash. I knew they'd sideline Avalugg like that. A hollow victory.

Ash vs Olympia is still above this one, let me tell you.

Maybe it's because I hadn't seen all of Ash's other Kalos Gym Battles....but I loved every moment of it. Even though they did kind of jump the Sharpedo by weakening Avalugg, I enjoyed this with every moment. I am kind of glad they're consistent by retaining the pain shared thing even when teh Ash-Greninja form is perfected. Overall, an awesome episode that I can find little to complain about.

For a final region gym challenge, this one just felt...I don't know, a little lackluster. It just wasn't as climactic as it should have been, somehow.

But it was still a decent match, all the same. But still not as good as previous Kalos League gym battles.

As Ash-Greninja is a form of synchro, it didn't make much (if any) sense to remove the pain-sharing thing when it was perfected.

I'm actually curious if the writers themselves weren't sure to keep it. As ashs previous uses of the transformation weren't clear on that aspect....

that what i think too but More of Special Bond Evolution form this is munch stronger bond becuase they share the characterics of the trainer
And also the ash greninja trasformation now resembles mega evolution

This was a pretty great battle. Nice having the gym badge quest end with Ash's original 3.

Pikachu vs. Bergmite. The only thing that I really enjoyed about this fight was showing off Icy Wind's speed lowering effect on Pikachu. Otherwise, it was pretty "meh". Pikachu barely struggled with the speed loss and once he got over it, it was just a quick win.

Pikachu vs. Avalugg. Pikachu creating a hole to stop Gyro Ball was great. I also loved how Avalugg used Stone Edge while he was still using Gyro Ball. Weird how Ash tried to have Pikachu intercept the attack rather than just dodging it though. Also, this probably sounds terrible, but Pikachu looked so cute when he got KO'd.

Talonflame vs. Avalugg. The fight had some cool moments. The Steel Wing across Avalugg's back along with the Stone Edge dodge were pretty cool. However, the overall battle was far too fast. I mean, this Pokemon took out all 3 of Ash's Pokemon in the initial battle, and this time it goes down in like 3 hits. I get that the absence of hail and ice body's healing effect probably made it easier, but still. I think Talonflame deserved better. Glad he won though. And I loved his characterization here. He seemed really determined to beat Avalugg this time around and quite happy upon winning.

Talonflame vs. Abamasnow. Again meh, but Talonflame had to be taken out for Greninja to take over...so whatever.

Greninja vs. Abamasnow. Best battle of the match obviously. The transformation into Ash-Greninja looked amazing and Greninja was just on top of it though out the entire battle. Cutting Abamasnow's Energy Ball as he was forming it, using his frozen cut blades to skate across the field, and Areial Aceing Abamasnow into the damn ceiling. Also, the synchronized motions Ash and Greninja did together were a great element to the battle. I kind of wished we would have seen more from Ash's POV.

Finally, ending off with the scene of all of Ash's Pokemon together was great. Can't wait for the league. 7.9/10.

It was a decent battle. I loved the evolution effects of Ash-Greninja because it resembles the Mega Evolution effects. The Cut Skates were pretty cool.

Also, they slipped in an armour hint XD

I think I'll just settle for the headcanon of this Abomasnow being a totally different individual to the last one and leave it at that. The power shift from Avalugg to Abomasnow is just way too jarring for me otherwise.

I think I'll just settle for the headcanon of this Abomasnow being a totally different individual to the last one and leave it at that. The power shift from Avalugg to Abomasnow is just way too jarring for me otherwise.
It may not even be that unlikely either. I think certain Gym Leaders have certain sets of Pokemon they use for different Trainers/power levels. For example, the Bergmite he used may be the "Gym" Bergmite and not any of the "greeter" Bergmite that welcome people at the entrance.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom