• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY127: The Semifinal Full Battle! Satoshi VS Shōta!!

Got the Alain vs Remo battle at the beginning - which took some time.

Part of the battle were a bunch of one-shots.
Hawlucha and Talonflame both one-shotted by Slaking and Clawitzer respectively.
Overall though, I guess the episode wasn't that bad?

Animation and stuff looks a whole lot better for next week's episode.

I missed the 8 minutes of the episode, but Hawlucha and Talonflame were OKed in one strike by Slaking and Clawitzer respectively. Boy, don't mess up with a Slaking. Did Squishy appear in this episode? Because I don't know. I will wait when this episode will be online somewhere.

Unfortunately, my stream cut out just as the battle started (guess everyone flocked in at the same time) so I couldn't see the battle... I did see Luchabull's wrestling outfit though, which was weird but actually pretty cool and totally makes sense for Luchabull when you think about it.

By the way, for anyone wondering, Alan took down Remo's entire team using Lizardon and didn't even Mega Evolve it before it faced Gablias at the very end. The way they've built up Lizardon now, Satoshi's entire team is going to have to survive his other Pokemon to even stand a chance against it.

EDIT: Sorry, made a mistake... Alan needed Metagross too so it wasn't entirely Lizardon's victory. But still, only two Pokemon against a team of six makes him even more daunting a prospect.

Last edited:
Ash keeping Talonflame in versus Clawitzer was pure idiocy.

Other than that, it was a good episode. Much better than whatever battle we got so far in Kalos League.

By the way, for anyone wondering, Alan took down Remo's entire team using Lizardon and didn't even Mega Evolve it before it faced Gablias at the very end. The way they've built up Lizardon now, Satoshi's entire team is going to have to survive his other Pokemon to even stand a chance against it.

My sensible side is hoping that Charizard and Metagross tearing through Remo's team says more about how he relied on Garchomp to get him that far rather than how powerful Alain is. Looking at his team, we can't really say he has any good ones other than Rhyperior. Although, when you consider how the anime works, it's probably more likely that the writers didn't put much thought into Remo.

As for the battle itself, I found the animation on point as always whilst the tactics used were a bit bland. OHKO are boring and after the emphasis which was placed on how bulky Slaking was, I'm disappointed it was Talonflame who ended up knocking it out. I suppose the writers thought that if they kept him in any longer Slaking would tank Ash's entire team.

I quite liked the tactic of bouncing around in the trees before popping out to attack and equally I liked Aegislash's counter of just destroying the trees. Unconventional, but I liked it.

As for the battle, I see Aegislash knocking out Pikachu although I have no idea how Ash brings it back from there. Presumably Goodra and Greninja help pick up the slack.

Although, when you consider how the anime works, it's probably more likely that the writers didn't put much thought into Remo.

I think it was more a case of the writers not wanting to reveal Alan's full team prior to the finals considering he was essentially up against a throwaway character.

As for the battle, I see Aegislash knocking out Pikachu although I have no idea how Ash brings it back from there. Presumably Goodra and Greninja help pick up the slack.

Man you don't hold out much hope for Onvern, huh?

Ok, so this episode finally felt like a League Episode.

One complaint, I understand they don't want to show Alain's other Pokemon, but Remo losing like that in the Semi-Final was Embarassment.

Ash VS Sawyer
It's a good thing that we finally get a slow pace battle. Even though it was mostly OHKOs, there were some interesting pieces:

The Hawlucha and Serena moment was really nice, and overall every battle scene with Clawitzer was nice. The Slaking strategy also reminded me of Paul's Poison spikes, Drapion strategy, where Ash was basically stuck, but this time the issue resolved way faster.

But one thing that bugged me and I'm sure the same thing will continue is how the Team changes during the battle are so static.
Slaking beats Hawlucha, Talonflame defeats Slaking, Clawitzer defeats Talonflame, Pikachu defeats Clawitzer. It's predictable and uninteresting.

Still, better than the previous weeks, though I've come to realize that it's not just the League, but overall the battles (most of them) of both BW and XY have been really straightforward.

I think it was more a case of the writers not wanting to reveal Alan's full team prior to the finals considering he was essentially up against a throwaway character.

...That makes more sense.

Man you don't hold out much hope for Onvern, huh?

It's mostly a guess since Greninja has to be his OP self and Goodra needs to have shown how much they've improved since Ash last battled with it (although thinking back, I've made this assumption so many times and practically each time I've been let down). I'm sure Noivern can prove itself in other battles to come and will play the role of weakening one of Sawyer's stronger Pokemon. Maybe. I could just be chatting rubbish :p

The Slaking vs Hawlucha was actually more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Slaking tanks hits, while trolling with Slack Off, then lulls the opponent into further attacking to catch it off-guard with Counter from all the damage inflicted. Shame that it couldn't get up fast enough thanks to Truant to take on Talonflame. I think the continuous back-and-forth going on is to show that Shota (the student of sorts) would now be on equal footing with Satoshi (the teacher...of sorts).

At least we're able too see Alian's battle being longer then seeing Alian knocking out Remo's last Pokemon. It was enjoyable to watch Hawlucha showing off with a cape that Serena made for it and then battling Slaking, even though it's a shame that it was knocked out in one hit by Slaking. I think that Ash should have saved his Talonflame for Angislash when Clawitzer is sent out since he needs a Pokemon who's able to take out easily, and Pikachu is resisted by Angislash heavily.

EDIT: Sorry, made a mistake... Alan needed Metagross too so it wasn't entirely Lizardon's victory. But still, only two Pokemon against a team of six makes him even more daunting a prospect.

No, he only used Charizard (but as you said, your stream cut out, so you might have missed this)
untitled.JPG

I must be going mad, I could have also sworn that Metagross was on the board.
It was. When the board was first shown, Metagross was on it.

But apparently since Clemont mentions Metagross being used, that means that there was a mistake when the board was shown the second time.

Little annoyed Hawlucha losses after being so cute and cool with the cape...

This was alright though!

It was alright, though its not the start I imagined for this battle. First of all, Alain vs Remo got more screentime than it should have. We get it. Alain's Charizard is so fucking OP. Realistically, Mega Garchomp should have taken out Charizard, but nope. The plot demands Alain in the finals. As for Ash's battle with Sawyer, I'm disappointed that Hawlucha became the fall guy, especially after the nice moment with Serena. That was cute! The rest of the battle was decent, especially Pikachu battling Clawitzer. Ash vs. Sawyer is off to an okay start, though it could have been better. I'm sure the real show will be next episode.

As for Ash's battle with Sawyer, I'm disappointed that Hawlucha became the fall guy.
It wouldn't be the first time, he took a pretty ridiculous loss against Sawyer's Clawitzer in their previous battle.

Seeing this battle it is very hard to beleive Ash can beat Alain. Only if Greninja knocks out 4 of Alain's pokemon. Shouta is considerably weak comparing to Alain.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom