• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY128: Decisive Rival Battle! Satoshi Gekkouga VS Mega Jukain!!

Episode was great in terms of battle but for me making Shota real rival for Ash and giving him such powerful pokemon including OP Sceptile is asspull. He was practically noob all season and then suddenly we see him collecting all badges and beating Ash before the league. I still have a bad taste about him after all this. I think it was awful writing. Instead if they made Tierno the real rival for Ash instead of Shota it would've been much better. Tierno was far more matured and stronger trainer.

Kalos is much better than Unova but Shota is the biggest disappointment for me.

Your entire comment is ridiculous, sawyer wasnt given jack shit, he caught everyone of his pokemon the same as the rest, and trained them well. He learns everything there is to know about his opponents and develops counters accordingly. You sound bitter Ash wasn't portrayed as a underdog this season. Also Tierno never displayed potential, hell most Im aware of never even considered him a rival.

The most WTF moment for me was when they showed us Shota giving a boss speach like he will be wating for Ash in the league, like he belived he will make it. I mean that was the most stupid writing moment for me.

Its called confidence. Anyone, regardless of their power, or exp can have it.......were you seriously not aware of that? Also Just like the games, trainers can develop enough in one just region to eventually challenge the elite4, and champion. This wasnt properly portrayed in past seasons, but XY is different.

Calling Sawyer's Sceptile OP is pushing it. We've seen that thing struggle and fall many times before it finally took down Greninja and entered the league. If you wanna talk about OP Pokemon, direct your attention to Alain's Mega Charizard X. That thing hasn't lost a battle since Siebold, plus managed to stand up to Zygarde 50%. I'm happy with how they handled Sawyer in the series and I'm glad he got a good close for his rivalry with Ash. I'm sure they're not done with him though cause I'm sure he's going to help fight Team Flare.

It seems to me there are some fans of Shota and Sceptile. I won't argue about him. But his character was poorly written for me. He was overpowered in very short time as a trainer. That can't be considered as good writing and don't try to make me change my opinion. I won't. :)

I don't think everyone has notice this
[SOFCJ-Raws] Pocket Monsters XY&Z - 35 (TVA 1280x720 x264 AAC)_001_11946.png

Attachments

• [SOFCJ-Raws] Pocket Monsters XY&Z - 35 (TVA 1280x720 x264 AAC)_001_11946.png
    [SOFCJ-Raws] Pocket Monsters XY&Z - 35 (TVA 1280x720 x264 AAC)_001_11946.png
    895.4 KB · Views: 202
It seems to me there are some fans of Shota and Sceptile. I won't argue about him. But his character was poorly written for me. He was overpowered in very short time as a trainer. That can't be considered as good writing and don't try to make me change my opinion. I won't. :)
It looks like a short time because we've only been following Ash on his travels and not Shota's. Also, during the entire saga, Ash had been helping out CotD's and participating in festivals and cheering on Serena - he had a LOT of other stuff going on besides training and collecting gym badges. We can't be sure what happened during Shota's journey, but I bet he hasn't had to help CotD's or put up with a bratty rich girl at a palace or help protect an entire ninja village or help a friend on her dream to be the Kalos Queen or heck, get stalked by Team Rocket. Shota had way much more time to focus on his training compared to what Ash had to go through because he was on his own, so on technical terms, he didn't get overpowered in a short time if we consider and compare their actual travelling experiences.

Nobodys trying to make you change anything, just remember to state your criticisms in the future as opinions if you dont wish to start arguments. What you consider bad writing may not be so to others.

Nobodys trying to make you change anything, just remember to state your criticisms in the future as opinions if you dont wish to start arguments. What you consider bad writing may not be so to others.
This is not an opinion. It's a fact.

remeber Ramos strategy to hide his pokemon in leafs? could this be done with Leafstorm? and why did they never used that again with Shota?

I really enjoyed the battle between Mega Septile and Ash Greninja thought it was handled. Very well and the mega Shuriken was huge. Goodra's battle against Slurpuff was nice but wasn't a fan of the double ko.

It looks like a short time because we've only been following Ash on his travels and not Shota's. Also, during the entire saga, Ash had been helping out CotD's and participating in festivals and cheering on Serena - he had a LOT of other stuff going on besides training and collecting gym badges. We can't be sure what happened during Shota's journey, but I bet he hasn't had to help CotD's or put up with a bratty rich girl at a palace or help protect an entire ninja village or help a friend on her dream to be the Kalos Queen or heck, get stalked by Team Rocket. Shota had way much more time to focus on his training compared to what Ash had to go through because he was on his own, so on technical terms, he didn't get overpowered in a short time if we consider and compare their actual travelling experiences.
Really, I'd say that the issues started in Snowbelle City. If both of them had seven badges at this point and decided to train together for their gym battles against Wulfric then there wouldn't have been any problem for me. Some (including admittedly myself) were simply annoyed that Sawyer was suddenly written to be a better trainer than Ash in that arc after being the consistent junior ever since his debut halfway through the series. It was a sudden and jarring change in their dynamic.

All that aside, I'm still gonna miss him when XY ends.

Really, I'd say that the issues started in Snowbelle City. If both of them had seven badges at this point and decided to train together for their gym battles against Wulfric then there wouldn't have been any problem for me. Some (including admittedly myself) were simply annoyed that Sawyer was suddenly written to be a better trainer than Ash in that arc after being the consistent junior ever since his debut halfway through the series. It was a sudden and jarring change in their dynamic.

All that aside, I'm still gonna miss him when XY ends.

He wasn't better, he just grew enough by then that he caught up. A growth spurt that caught ash off gaurd, and threw him off his game. Ash's reaction was perfectly understandable.

Great battle all around! very impressed with it especially Greninja vs. Sceptile, a showdown that in my opinion will go down as one of the best.

But I had only a couple of issues with the episode in general;
1: Didn't like the 2 double KO's,
2: Didn't like Noivern's dragon type move to battle Salamence. Noivern should have had Dragon Pulse! I love the move Dragon Claw, really do, one of my favorites, but Noivern should have its Pulse and there has been SOOO many Dragon Claws (Sceptile, 2 Charizards, Noivern & Garchomp) and a small amount of pulses or even have both pulse and claw, that would have been better then just claw

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom