• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY128: Decisive Rival Battle! Satoshi Gekkouga VS Mega Jukain!!

I doubt the Pokemon would be going that fast, while keeping up momentum for a somewhat lengthy period. Pikachu was moving insanely fast, but Aegislash wasn't. And if they really were going that fast, I call super-bullshit.

Even if Pikachu was tired, Sawyer's last Pokemon would have been (Mega) Sceptile, which is a terrible match-up. At least Pikachu still had speed, a super-effective attack, and long-range moves. Goodra should have been saved for Mega Sceptile - it packed Ice Beam and Dragon Pulse.

Actually, earlier in the series during clemonts gym battle, his heliolisk blitzed goodra so quickly that the rocks he lifted during his dash appeared near frozen prior to his attack, afterwhich hawlucha immediately blitzed heliolisk faster then it could react.

And they've only grown since then, so taking that scaling and the teams growth into consideration, no, its not bullshit.

Also sceptile had 2 super effective moves himself, and is very quick, the kind of opponent goodra doesn't do well against, he probably wouldnt even have been able to push him to mega evolve......

- Ash sending out Pikachu to fight Sceptile and using an Electric move on it fully aware that Sceptile can Mega Evolve and gain the Lightning Rod ability. Not quite sure what he was thinking there unless he somehow knew Sawyer wasn’t going to Mega Evolve yet.

Maybe he was going for the chance of paralysis before Jukain Mega Evolved.

Personally, I feel that while Satoshi vs Shinji is still the best overall battle, Gekkouga vs Jukain has to be the best individual battle this show has ever given us.

Actually, earlier in the series during clemonts gym battle, his heliolisk blitzed goodra so quickly that the rocks he lifted during his dash appeared near frozen prior to his attack, afterwhich hawlucha immediately blitzed heliolisk faster then it could react.

And they've only grown since then, so taking that scaling and the teams growth into consideration, no, its not bullshit.

Also sceptile had 2 super effective moves himself, and is very quick, the kind of opponent goodra doesn't do well against, he probably wouldnt even have been able to push him to mega evolve......
I think I skipped the Gym match so I'll take your word for it. I STILL think it's bullshit made for the plot though - Aegislash was shown to be looking around and moving much, much slower than Pikachu - if Aegislash was moving at bullet time there, then Pikachu would be breaking the sound barrier there or some shit. I don't find the scene believable.

Not saying Goodra would have beat it or anything, but it would have been a much more logical choice than casting it out to a Fairy with no super effective moves. Goodra is also incredibly bulky, resists all of Sceptile's Grass moves, knows long-range moves, and Ice Beam is one of those moves that could be used to change the terrain or build walls and crap. There's plenty of creative opportunity for this match-up.

- Ash sending out Pikachu to fight Sceptile and using an Electric move on it fully aware that Sceptile can Mega Evolve and gain the Lightning Rod ability. Not quite sure what he was thinking there unless he somehow knew Sawyer wasn’t going to Mega Evolve yet.

Ash only had Pikachu and Greninja left. Sending out Pikachu as an scout and dealing damage to Sceptile first was better than already sending out Greninja against a full health (Mega-)Sceptile, especially since Pikachu isn't weak to Grass. And why even bother sending Pikachu out after Sceptile defeating Greninja, if it's already mega evolved against Greninja anyway? It was both right on plot armor and competive thinking.

Okay, so here's what I liked and didn't like about this episode:

- Ash's strategy for Pikachu to prevent Aegislash from using its shield
- Pikachu plays a good role in the battle
- Noivern and Goodra managing to knock out Salamence and Slurpuff in a double KO.
- Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile was incredibly awesome!
- Sawyer is actually showing tears in the heat of battle.

Dislikes
- Um... How could Pikachu make the logs conveniently float long enough for him to use Iron Tail on one?
- Lack of putting other certain moves to use between both trainers
- How odd it is to have a double knockout!
- Why did Slurpuff and Goodra just stand there spamming attacks with minimal body movement?

So all in all, this was a great episode and an awesome battle between these two rivals. I wonder why Squishy and Wobbuffet can't just make at least one appearance. Anyway, I'll give the episode an 8.7/10.

I think I skipped the Gym match so I'll take your word for it. I STILL think it's bullshit made for the plot though - Aegislash was shown to be looking around and moving much, much slower than Pikachu - if Aegislash was moving at bullet time there, then Pikachu would be breaking the sound barrier there or some shit. I don't find the scene believable.

Not saying Goodra would have beat it or anything, but it would have been a much more logical choice than casting it out to a Fairy with no super effective moves. Goodra is also incredibly bulky, resists all of Sceptile's Grass moves, knows long-range moves, and Ice Beam is one of those moves that could be used to change the terrain or build walls and crap. There's plenty of creative opportunity for this match-up.

Karamazov has it right. Based on the pokemon's speed relative to each other and noting how much time it took, there's just no way. Also, The way Pikachu was jumping on the logs...The logs would have to be much heavier than Pikachu to give him that much momentum. realistically the logs would have simply been shot away from Pikachu, with Pikachu gaining limited movement forward. But they never pay attention to physics in animation, this has been established since cartoon characters had the ability to pull hammers out of thin air. I have a feeling all the kids watching this just think, WOW that's so cool! While those who understand these things are like, "uh uh, I don't think so."

Shit. Now that you mention it, you're right about the logs. And now it's gonna bug me any time I rewatch this ep.

If nothing else, I will say that this whole battle made up for the so-so beginning of the league, IMO. I was very impressed with Ash's tactic to defeat Aegislash, despite the... crazy unrealistic physics, but I can look past that. I also do wish Goodra had gotten a win, though, instead of a double knockout.

But all in all, an excellent two-part league battle. Hope the next one's just as good or better - and that Ash wins.

Karamazov has it right. Based on the pokemon's speed relative to each other and noting how much time it took, there's just no way. Also, The way Pikachu was jumping on the logs...The logs would have to be much heavier than Pikachu to give him that much momentum. realistically the logs would have simply been shot away from Pikachu, with Pikachu gaining limited movement forward. But they never pay attention to physics in animation, this has been established since cartoon characters had the ability to pull hammers out of thin air. I have a feeling all the kids watching this just think, WOW that's so cool! While those who understand these things are like, "uh uh, I don't think so."

Physics aside, the authors intent is clear, its like one of the greatest speed feats in Samurai Jack, when he defeated a handful of mercenary's before a water droplet hit the ground. The physics are wonky, but the intent is clear.

Physics aside, the authors intent is clear, its like one of the greatest speed feats in Samurai Jack, when he defeated a handful of mercenary's before a water droplet hit the ground. The physics are wonky, but the intent is clear.

Yeah, which is why it didn't keep me from absolutely loving the episode.

This was actually a pretty decent wrap up! Pikachu got a pretty decent role here, though it could have done without two double KO's. The Ash-Greninja battle with Mega Sceptile was pretty nice also and also, it looks like its 100% confirmed now that Ash-Greninja is saving the giant fiery disc of death for that ungodly op Mega Charizard X!

Edit: I love the difference with Ash and Alain here in the semi-finals. Alain gets all cocky and walks away. Ash goes to chat and shake hands with Sawyer. Ash always being the good guy.

Pretty good episode. Best so far of the league.
Gaint firey disk of death?

Anyway proud of ash for Fi ally making it to the finals but I still have my doubts on him winning. I haven't watched lague episodes in years if ash does win would he go against the elite four?

Gaint firey disk of death?

Anyway proud of ash for Fi ally making it to the finals but I still have my doubts on him winning. I haven't watched lague episodes in years if ash does win would he go against the elite four?

The giant fiery disc of death refers to an unknown attack that Ash-Greninja is shown using in a battle, now confirmed to be against Alain. This was shown in an official highlight video released for Greninja.

I can't say anymore than what was already said here. It's an overall well done episode. I hope to see something like this, if not possibly better, in the final.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom