• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY130: The Finals! Satoshi VS Alan!!

I didn't see the whole episode because my stream didn't work for a few minutes, but for Pokemon Quiz, they featured Unfezant Male, not Metagross. Anyway, that was a great first part of the league finale! Next week is gonna be even more awesome!

Okay, it was good to see Hawlucha get one win, and get payback for Noivern at the same time.
That Metagross, was ridiculously fast. Can't believe Pikachu is carrying the team again, beating both Tyranitar and Metagross xD

Unfezant vs Talonflame, was actually more epic than what I initially thought it would be, and despite the end result of said battle.

Pikachu doing some damage with Quick Attack and Thunderbolt before the battle against Greninja. GOOD.

So Alain still has Bisharp and Charizard of course, and Ash has Pikachu, Goodra and Greninja left over.
I can definitely see that red water-shuriken to be the move to finish the match.

Most disappointing thing to take from this battle so far is Noivern not being able to get a win. Really sucks :(

(Before anyone says it, yes I kinda copy/pasted lol [From MAL])

This was a pretty good episode overall, but not quite as good as last week's (although I'm hoping the awesome is being saved for the final battle). Initial thoughts.

- In the past, Satoshi's mom and Okido would travel to watch him compete in Leagues. Now they can't even be bothered to watch him on TV. Come on writers, a couple of quick cameos? Is that too much to ask? I'd like ones from Takeshi, Kasumi, Haruka etc. but can't we at least get one from his freakin' mom!
- It sucks so much that Onvern is going this whole league without a straight win, although I did like that Luchabull came out his ball to check up on and later avenge him. Nice nod to their friendship which I'd worried had been forgotten upon Onbat's evolution.
- Guess Luchabull decided the wrestler costume wasn't working for him.
- What the hell was that whole thing about with Luchabull glowing red? I genuinely thought for a few seconds we were going to get a new attack (my guess was Fire Punch) but now it just seems to have Luchabull's 'red hot spirit'... which can melt ice, for some reason.
- Fiarrow vs Kenhallow was the best part of this episode, extremely fast paced and exciting... which was ruined by another double-knockout. Seriously writers, just work out who should win. You can easily knock that Pokemon out quick next battle.
- Sky Attack was essentially just a gold Brave Bird.
- I'm gonna say it... Metagross went down way too easily. One direct Thunderbolt and an Iron Tail was all that did it. Also, why was Satoshi and friends surprised at its speed considering they'll have already seen it battling against Louie.
- I liked that Pikachu got in a few quick hits against Lizardon. I thought the episode was going to end with him being knocked out.

Good start, Ash! Good start! He managed to bring down Alain to just Bisharp...Who of course gets an OP OHKO move like Guillotine, the the most OP Charizard the anime has ever seen.

As for the battle, the animation was pretty high quality. The battles were even great! It was bice to see Hawlucha get revenge for Noivern and I live that he came out to see if he was okay. What was up with the red hot burning though? Aside from that, double KO with Talonflame and Unfeazanf and Pikachu got to take down two Pokemon. Pikachu also got in some damage against Charizard so if that thing doesn't go down, I will scream.

Great episode! Now its time for Ash to end this once and for all!

I laughed a lot when James was shown celebrating Pikachu's win over Metagross and got a bad look from both Jessie and Meowth :D
Nice fight, Pikachu got the spotlight again (I think its well deserved) and although Onvern didn't win I loved seeing Hawlucha getting worked up to avenge him (by the way, was that Unburden we just saw?).
I hope Onvern gets his redemption on team Flare arc now (y)

Last edited:
Hmmm....

Using the water on the battlefield to clear Sandstorm, good. Possibly even boosting the power of Thunderbolt on Tyranitar.

Alain breaking Stone Edge to make multiple small projectiles like the old Stone Edge: Approved

Pikachu reflecting them back: was that a call back to Grant?

Using Noivern's sound to find the real Weavile among the double teams; Brilliant

Hawlucha and Noivern moments: Always nice

Hawlucha's BURNING JUSTICE!

So, I guess Hawlucha probably has Unburden then.....does Hawlucha have a hidden ability? I mean besides BURNING JUSTICE

Wait, Bulbapedia is saying BURNING JUSTICE is Bulk Up?

Sky vs Sky bird, lets go

Well another tie huh: well I suppose it is better than having Talonflame get worfed by Charizard

Well between this and Sawyer I think Pikachu's been well represented this conference

At least all the hits that Pikachu's taken might explain why Pikachu doesn't fry Charizard next ep

A reference to the Tyson Fight I see?

Still, Pikachu landed some tough hits on Charizard. My wild guess: Charizard will defeat Pikachu in regular form next episode, and return to rest so Goodra fights Bisharp. Goodra may defeat or tie with Bisharp, I'd bet defeat Bisharp then be beat by Charizard, then Greninja fights it. Will Ash be champ or runner up?

We can only find out.

Hawlucha's BURNING JUSTICE!

So, I guess Hawlucha probably has Unburden then.....does Hawlucha have a hidden ability? I mean besides BURNING JUSTICE

Wait, Bulbapedia is saying BURNING JUSTICE is Bulk Up?

If that was in fact Bulk Up then Hawlucha will have used five moves through the battle, as he also used Karate Chop, Hi Jump Kick, X-Scissor and Flying Press. Also, Bulk Up only gives a boost to attack and defense and we clearly saw Hawlucha had his speed increased.
Gotta wait for subs I guess!

Last edited:
If that was in fact Bulk Up then Hawlucha will have used five moves through the battle, as he also used Karate Chop, Hi Jump Kick, X-Scissor and Flying Press. Also, Bulk Up only gives a boost to attack and defense and we clearly saw Hawlucha had his speed increased.
Gotta waut for subs I guess!

Perhaps he learned it mid battle out of willpower, replacing Karate Chop? He uses the other three moves after BURNING JUSTICE after all, but I don't recall seeing Karate Chop after that.

Well between this and Sawyer I think Pikachu's been well represented this conference

Yeah, I'm glad to see him not getting completely shafted by Ash-Greninja.

Noivern... Well, I can't say I'm not surprised when we consider that his opponent was a Weavile.

Regardless of how well and impressive this battle goes, I'm going to bet that Alan wins in the end. Given Ash's previous league records and the nature of this anime, Alan is all but 100% guarantee to win, anyway. But still, the way this league has been, even if the first episodes were rushed, Ash being in the finals is still quite impressive and shows how far he has become (even if Alola is going to push the reset button).

Regardless of whether Alan wins and the status quo remains, or Ash wins and finally breaks people's cynicism towards this anime, I wonder how the next few episodes with Team Flare are going to play out? At least there is less room for fillers this time if the arc finishes in mid-October.

I definitely like how it started, with Pikachu using the water both to dissipate the sandstorm and to probably increase the damage on Tyranitar. It reminded me a bit of Ash's second gym battle against Brock (good times). Alain made good use of Weavile, and I admittedly enjoyed it when Hawlucha avenged Noivern, especially when Hawlucha made a glorious hold and spin on Weavile. That was awesome.
Now you wouldn't think a battle between 2 regional birds would be exciting, but man, was that display of speed memorable.
Lastly, it was amusing seeing Metagross beat someone much lighter than it in terms of speed. And that last part where it spun to get it off actually made me feel sorry for it when it felled.

Honestly Alain is not 100% garunteed to win this battle. By the looks of next episode's summary's, it says it all comes down to Ash-Greninja and Mega Charizard X. Charizard took a fair amount of damage here and we know he'll be fighting Pikachu, Goodra, and Ash-Greninja. If that thing does not fall, I'd be furious. Mega Charizard X is not the perfect Pokemon.

Last edited:
Alain was such an underdog this episode, he's definitely winning...

I think it just implies that, like ORIGINS Red he puts too much focus on his Charizard.

And plenty of people who start their matches off as underdogs lose at the end: Morrison for example. Arguably Paul too: at the end of episode 1 he was down two Pokemon and Buizel vs Drapion was still ongoing.

Here's a thought: Ash fights Charizard so hard Bisharp wins by endurace

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom