• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY130: The Finals! Satoshi VS Alan!!

The battle is pretty epic and intense! I really like the battle between Talonflame and Unfesent, a lot of speed going on as they try to hit each other. It's a shame that they they knocked each other out at the same time.

You got a link to said trailer?
It is either a double KO again or Greninja defeats it. From the trailer on the Preview Thread of the next episode, when Alain sends out Charizard, Greninja is already out.

I never thought I'd see the day where Ash stands on the league field for the finals. This is beautiful.

Ok, so...I'm pretty disappointed in Tyranitar's performance. To me it felt like it fell way too quickly. I also didn't like how that massive Sand Stream amounted to nothing and just faded away after Pikachu splashed the water. I guess boosting Pikachu's electric moves by soaking Tyranitar in water was nice.

Ok, seriously Ash. 2nd time he just threw out Noivern and the opponent ended up sending out a Pokemon with an advantage. Why not keep Pikachu out just to see what Alain had first? Sigh, anyway the battle was good. I liked how Noivern used his echolocation abilities to detect Weavile in the Double Team. It still sucks that Noivern didn't get a solid win the the league though.

Now Hawlucha was great. He popped out of his PokeBall to get revenge for his fallen son. That was amazing. The battle was great too, though I am slightly confused by Hawlucha being able to heat up his body within seconds to become more powerful.

I figured Bisharp was sent out because Alain had some sort of strategy to get a quick knock out on Hawlucha considering the massive type disadvantage. Thunder Wave to slow him down, then Guillotine for a 1HKO. Yep. The fact that Bisharp was called back immediately afterwards imo, shows how Alain wants to keep him for to maybe repeat the strategy for later.

Damn, those birds weren't playing around. That was just awesome. It just escalated into a sky war within seconds of Talonflame being sent out. I'm a bit disappointed that Talonflame tied instead of getting a whole win, but I guess he got one against Slacking last time, so it's fine.

Man, that has to be the fastest Metagross...ever. I love how after Pikachu got hit with Rock Slide, he just pushed off rocks like it was no big deal. I did like how he defeated Metagross using a similar strategy like when he battled Tyson in AG. That said though, I think this win should have gone to another Pokemon. Pikachu getting two wins just seems so unnecessary.

Damn, Alain sent out Charizard like, "I'm done playing around now!". And again, it seems like Bisharp really is being held back to get quick KO's with Thunder Wave and Guillotine. Or maybe he just knows Charizard can quickly destroy Pikachu. Either way, this next battle is going to be tight.

Overall, this final battle is starting out wonderfully. My only issues are Pikachu getting two solid wins while Noivern and Talonflame didn't. I think it would have been better if Pikachu would have started out battling someone and Noivern was sent out to finish it off. But I'd still say it was a good match. 8/10.

After how it seems Ash is on track to win this, especially with his two best, Pikachu and Greninja left, I'll be extremely disappointed in the writers if they make Ash lose AGAIN. I've been watching since Kanto wanting him to just win a damn League Conference just once, if he loses to the E4 or Champion, fine by me, just let him win the Conference, please!

Bisharp's basically Alain's failsafe just in case Charizard struggles, if you ask me. It's almost a shame that Pikachu probably won't be sent out to stop its Thunder Wave cold but since he's already had a very solid performance so far, I can't complain.

Does anyone have any explanation for Hawlucha during his battle with Weavile. He started heating up and got faster or something. I saw someone say it was Bulk Up, but Bulbapedia doesn't confirm this.
It wasn't Bulk Up. It was just Hawlucha's characterization in a more explicit form. Since its debut, its been stated several times that it likes to take damage from its opponent, and then subsequently hype itself up to do even better than said opponent. This is why Shota used Slaking by the way, to disorient Hawlucha's battle style. This is also why back, long ago, Hawlucha kept taking all of Bunnelby's attacks during their fight. Anyway, that's all it was. Too bad it couldn't do much against paralysis though.

It wasn't Bulk Up. It was just Hawlucha's characterization in a more explicit form. Since its debut, its been stated several times that it likes to take damage from its opponent, and then subsequently hype itself up to do even better than said opponent. This is why Shota used Slaking by the way, to disorient Hawlucha's battle style. This is also why back, long ago, Hawlucha kept taking all of Bunnelby's attacks during their fight. Anyway, that's all it was. Too bad it couldn't do much against paralysis though.
Oh, now I get it! Thanks! And I wish Hawlucha had Limber so that Bisharp couldn't paralyze him. That thing already seems OP.

I didn't like Pikachu beating both pseudos. That was a bit too much in my opinion. Shouldn't treat Ash as some kind of Arceus which he is not. Unfezant tieing with Talonflame was fine. Hawlucha winning against Weavile made sense. Bisharp defeating Hawlucha was okay.

Oh, now I get it! Thanks! And I wish Hawlucha had Limber so that Bisharp couldn't paralyze him. That thing already seems OP.
That would have been a cool twist. It could have still lost to Bisharp, but not before getting a hit in while Alain & Bisharp are stunned as to why Thunder Wave failed.

Yep. Pikachu could have also displayed the Electric type's new immunity to paralysis but he's probably gonna fall to Charizard here.

I didn't like Pikachu beating both pseudos. That was a bit too much in my opinion. Shouldn't treat Ash as some kind of Arceus which he is not. Unfezant tieing with Talonflame was fine. Hawlucha winning against Weavile made sense. Bisharp defeating Hawlucha was okay.

Considering Ash's Pikachu is undoubtedly level 100 whereas Alain evidently only uses Charizard often, we can assume Metagross and Tyranitar aren't near as high of level as his Charizard or Ash's Pikachu. It makes perfect sense for Pikachu to net the most KOes, you ever brought a level 50 to a level 100 fight before? It doesn't matter what it is, that level 50 is going down.

I dont like how Lysandre is just in there alone, sitting devilishly with Mairin not even knowing how evil this man is. LEAVE HER ALONE LYSANDRE! SHE'S JUST A BABY!!

I have to say, the best part was pikachu's end credits theme where they reference his love for ketchup

Has Lysandre just confirmed that he will interrupt the battle just to steal the thunder?

D4ZWWfQ.png

p1e4CWf.png

Last edited:
Excellent battle. Pikachu beating both Tyranitar and Metagross seems absurd. I know Pikachu beat a Dragonite back in the Orange league but 3 other pokemon had weakened it.

Other than that, great battle. Amazing battlefield, great animation, strong pokemon, good even match ups. Looking forward to the rest of the battle.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom