• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY130: The Finals! Satoshi VS Alan!!

Doesn't matter. Pikachu beating two pseudo is still BS and making Ash look overpowered. I hope the 2nd part would be better than this in my opinion.
I can understand your frustration.

I do think you may be using the term "overpowered" freely though. If Ash looked so overpowered in this episode, Alain wouldn't have knocked out 3 of his Pokemon and a guaranteed two in the next.

Honestly, its such a stretch to call Ash overpowered if he's facing Alain, a character that has a PERFECT win streak in the MAIN series. He's beaten Ash 2-3 times, 8 gym leaders, Trevor, Remo, and 3 other trainers only using Mega Charizard X for the most part, with help from Metagross. He's about as perfect as they come in the main series.

Ash is significantly stronger in the XY series, which is true. Minus Pikachu, his whole team is fully evolved, including two Dragons. He also has a Pokemon that can undergo a very powerful transformation that is uncommon. Though its a huge stretch to say he's overpowered, compared to Alain.

Seriously what do the fans want? We complained when Ash was significantly downgraded in BW, but now he's too powerful in XY?

Last edited:
What I did like was the tie between both Unfezant and Talonflame. I was skeptical about Alain having Unfezant as a strong pokemon but it did fairly well. Weavile winning against Noivern made since as Ice is 4x strong against Flying/Dragon. Hawlucha winning was also good. Bisharp winning was fine because it had a one hit KO move. Those were the fine points of the episode. DP Ash was an acceptable for me but I'll see what next episode would bring.

Okay... I managed to find a sub video by myself, and I found something which is TOO funnily translated. I imagine that as an input by the subber, but could someone tell me if this was real by any chance?
Screenshot

This took most of my laughs of the episode...

Seriously what do the fans want? We complained when Ash was significantly downgraded in BW, but now he's too powerful in XY?
A compelling story wouldn't hurt. However the league ends, it will feel hollow to me seeing as the highlighted Pokemon (Pikachu, Greninja and Charizard) are overglorified.

Honestly, there are so many "psuedo legendaries" now it's hard for me to see them as anything special, and it's not like I haven't seem them go down like chumps in the games, too. Is there a base stat total line where something HAS to be portrayed as powerful, and if so, what is it? 600? 525?

Change "Pikachu beat two psuedo legendaries" to "Pikachu beat two Pokémon" and it's nothing unheard of--that's still less than Charizard and Infernape have done in the past.

Personally, if this is Ash's league victory it'd feel wrong to me for his starter not to be a large part of it.

Okay... I managed to find a sub video by myself, and I found something which is TOO funnily translated. I imagine that as an input by the subber, but could someone tell me if this was real by any chance?
Screenshot

This took most of my laughs of the episode...
Haha no, not real unless you want it to be. That's just a fan sub.

I especially loved the aerial battle between Unfezant and Talonflame. Such speed. Much awesome.

And Pikachu getting wins against two pseudo's being bs? I get that it is difficult in-game, but hey, if it's a small little intentional power boost in Ash's direction for the win, then I'm all for it. Heck, Tobias got two legendaries just so he can win. Cameron's rulebreaking on not bringing 6 pokemon to a full-battle stage was overlooked just so he can win. Giving Pikachu some power boost so he can win against Tyranitar and Metagross with a relatively reasonable strategy? I think Ash deserves that much.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE.

I'm a little late to the party but I felt like giving my opinion on this episode. And I loved it! I found Ash VS Sawyer to be fairly entertaining, but this battle isn't even over and I already like it more.

And Ash seems like he has a reasonable chance to win! Alain currently has a slightly weakened Charizard and a slighitly weakened Bisharp while Ash has an almost defeated Pikachu and both Greninja and Goodra at full health. #It'sHappening

Now that I've seen this episode, here are my thoughts:
-Pikachu is putting in quite a bit of work, two kills in one match while doing some good damage to Alain's ace. Not a bad showing for the mascot.
-Noivern losing to Weavile is expected, but disappointing. The poor little guy hasn't had much time to shine and it looks like he's leaving the league without any major victories under his belt.
-With that said, Hawlucha coming out of his ball to comfort him was great to see. Hawlucha has a great relationship with the rest of Ash's team and seeing him act like a big brother to Noivern after his loss was a nice touch for the character. It was also nice to see him avenge his protégé, though the fighting spirit thing was a bit odd.
-The Talonflame vs. Unfezant match was a great aerial battle, at least visually.

So all in all, not a bad episode. Some negatives, but it holds itself up very well, lets hope the last episode delivers.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom