• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

Posting my reply from a previous thread:

...crushed. I was liking this series so much, and thought Ash would finally pull through, especially considering how his character was built up, and then the writers went and trolled everyone. Goddamn it. My enthusiasm for the anime has just completely vanished after that stunt.

I think I'm actually done with the anime. It really is the same thing over and over again, Alain never had any badges, then just swoops in at the end, with his overpowered Charizard that just wins everything.

I mean literally the most unexpected shocking moment of the XY series, was Serena doing a Britney and chopping off her hair!

Why can't Ash win a god damn league for once? Why is that so hard? Who set this rule that he never can? And why do we constantly need ridiculously OP characters to storm in at the last minute?

Literally I don't see the point anymore, he's going to travel over to Alola, and then get reset and beat by some kid with a starter, or some Gym Leader/Trial Captain carry on along his journey, get split from his friends in about 5 different caves and forests then reunited, then head to the league and lose. There you go, no need to watch anymore, just laid out the whole next 3 years of the anime for you!

Finally, it's not just the fact he doesn't win I can't stand, it's the constant teases, which while not outright lies, are deliberately done to get you watching just in case. Asking questions like how will Ash win, putting victory in the title, calling it his most important match ever (why was this match more important than the other 5 times he got beat, because he was Top 2 is that all?)

Ash didn't win? I'm so shocked.

Oh wait, no I'm not. Don't we go through this same song and dance every time a league rolls around?

Honestly for me it's not the fact that Ash lost - even though admittedly if he did win after how the battle turned out then my feelings of wanting him to win would have taken over, but still, it was just not a good battle. Just compare it to Sawyer's battle with his Mega Sceptile, which was much more epic.

I'd rather have had Ash lose to Sawyer than to Alain. Alain is just a Mary Sue, comes in, so amazing at everything, takes on legendaries and wins, takes on 10 megas in a row and wins, challenges 8 gym leaders in quick succession wins em all, goes to the league wins all the way. Who is this guy Dj Khaled?

At least Sawyer could have been like the player in games, starting off shit then going growing.

I'd rather have had Ash lose to Sawyer than to Alain. Alain is just a Mary Sue, comes in, so amazing at everything, takes on legendaries and wins, takes on 10 megas in a row and wins, challenges 8 gym leaders in quick succession wins em all, goes to the league wins all the way. Who is this guy Dj Khaled?
As a somewhat avid fanfic reader and aspiring writer, that's the impression I can't deny getting from Alain. Thanks, XY saga, for teaching me how not to write a character.

Last battle vs Sawyer was the greatest of XY Anime.

OMG!
Nothing to say about this battle vs Alain.

Disappointing!
I don't care whether Ash wins or not as long as they show us a great battle.
However, the way to lose is unreasonable and unacceptable!
Golden Shuriken was the climax of the battle and you can't let it turn down!!!!!!!!!!!

Scriptwriter sucks.....

Sorry to say that...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I mean literally the most unexpected shocking moment of the XY series, was Serena doing a Britney and chopping off her hair!

for me it was mega evolution act I actually being an above average xy episode

Literally I don't see the point anymore, he's going to travel over to Alola, and then get reset and beat by some kid with a starter, or some Gym Leader/Trial Captain carry on along his journey, get split from his friends in about 5 different caves and forests then reunited, then head to the league and lose. There you go, no need to watch anymore, just laid out the whole next 3 years of the anime for you!

I watch the anime for the fun Pokemon animation and fun characters that pop up, while enjoying some story elements there and there. I just hope that Ash's companions are actually fun characters next time around. Mallow has an interesting design and might have a personality that interests me more, so I've got hope.

Finally, it's not just the fact he doesn't win I can't stand, it's the constant teases, which while not outright lies, are deliberately done to get you watching just in case. Asking questions like how will Ash win, putting victory in the title, calling it his most important match ever (why was this match more important than the other 5 times he got beat, because he was Top 2 is that all?)

This is true. If people doubt this claim, I haven't watched a Pokemon anime episode live in 3/4 years(unless you count Origin), but it was the teases that I saw being shared and commented on Tumblr that made me want to check the episode out live.

I'm not sure if I'd agree that Ash losing to Sawyer would have been that much better, but I guess it wouldn't have been that alienating if the battle was as good.

Anyone who has followed this show for a long time shouldn't be surprised by this outcome, although I have to say that taking Ash as close as he could possibly be to winning, only to have him not win in the end is a crappy thing to do in this type of show. If they were going to do something with it then fine, but it'll just be brushed under the rug and Ash will smile it off and say he'll do better next time. Which he probably won't because he couldn't possibly do any better than he's already done.

Well, saltiness aside, I thought the whole league fell flat. Even with the Ash/Sawyer battle the whole thing felt like a procession of easy wins for Ash and Alan because of OP Greninja and OP Charizard. That both of them won so easily in the early rounds, not because they were superior trainers, but because they had a single Pokemon that was so overwhelmingly powerful, wasn't a good sign. They tried to balance it out with the Ash/Sawyer battle but even that one ultimately came down to Ash-Greninja just simply being stronger than everything else. Which is really disappointing considering that Ash obtained at least 7 of his gym badges by using creative and clever strategies, but by the time the league came about all that was gone.

That's the most disappointing thing for me. I mean, Ash losing is Ash losing. It happens rightly or wrongly. But compared to DP or even AG's league, the Kalos League didn't do it for me.

After every sign pointing in the right direction, Ash STILL loses to Alain. There's NO WAY that OP Mega Charizard X should have survived that last attack. Alain is officially a gary stu to me. Fuck you, writers!

Alain is just a Mary Sue, comes in, so amazing at everything, takes on legendaries and wins, takes on 10 megas in a row and wins, challenges 8 gym leaders in quick succession wins em all, goes to the league wins all the way. Who is this guy Dj Khaled?

While I say that the anime jumped the shark, I still think there is a chance to prove that Alain isn't a Gary Stu. He's going to be around for a few more episodes, and this is a good way to really show him off as an actual character as opposed to a Tobias-expy.

Satoshi is much happier with his loss than most of the viewers are right now

That's just Ash for you. Cursed to forever be 10, and always taking his losses well, just not realizing that all his attempts at success will be futile despite his victory on the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier. If I were him, I'd just take Scott's offer and become a Frontier Brain instead of spending centuries of challenging leagues with a 0% chance of winning any.

Posting my reply from a previous thread:

...crushed. I was liking this series so much, and thought Ash would finally pull through, especially considering how his character was built up, and then the writers went and trolled everyone. Goddamn it. My enthusiasm for the anime has just completely vanished after that stunt.

Mine too. Ash losing will only lead to everyone above the age of 10 becoming so cynical to this anime, and now cynicalism is at its highest. (By the way, I love your avatar with Roxas).

I would love the anime more if Tobias came and beat Alain...

Guys, I think Ash's lost signals that Ash will eventually beat Alain and set up for a really nice plot. If Ash won, there aren't too many options they could have done. Ash winning would have been against TF's plans, and we need Ash to step up and beat them. He's slowly building his way there, and I don't think that there's something so wrong about him losing. If he didn't win, where would you take the anime? It would be hard to start in a new region. But he's becoming more professional and mature, so eventually, he will become like Alain and win everything. That could happen in Alola. But losing may have been the only way to go forward in the anime.

Basically Ash is Karl Malone who will possibly never win a title just by losing over and over in the playoffs. I lost the hype for the Flare arc because of this monstrosity of an episode. No excuse for losing. You lost a 3rd time to Alain.. Who does that?! (Writers I'm looking at you.) I look forward to not watching the 7th loss in his career in Alola. Ash.. your career may end sooner than you can say... Pokemon Master.

But he's becoming more professional and mature, so eventually, he will become like Alain and win everything. That could happen in Alola.

Do you genuinely believe that? :p If Alola does have one of these league tournaments (not looking likely) he'll be back to Top 4 in no time!

Having him lose is essentially the lazy option. It allows them to revert back to a blank slate and start over, as opposed to having to actually deal with any complications that would arise from him winning. Even though you could quite easily have him win, lose to an Elite 4, and then send him off to the next region where he'll hope to continue progressing without having to alter the formula of the show much at all.

But in some ways I'm kinda glad he didn't win, because the moment just didn't seem right. I think it was the lack of fanfare about his progress, the fact that none of his family or old friends were there or shown to be watching, and that he didn't use any of his old Pokemon and only two of his battles were proper battles - all things that made the final feel a lot less epic and big an occasion as it should be.

Do you genuinely believe that? :p If Alola does have one of these league tournaments (not looking likely) he'll be back to Top 4 in no time!
Top 8, Runner-up, Top 4... Two steps forward, one step back?

They just killed the anime, the anime was at its peak right now (At least the XY series's peak) and they destroyed it like this. Their games weren't selling that well but Pokémon GO has helped Nintendo recover from the loss and if Ash has won, then fans would surely be back to the show and start playing games again. But unfortunately....NO! they just destroyed an opportunity. I can see the end of Pokémon is near.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DID HE H-A-V-E TO LOSE?!?!?!!!!?!?!??!?!???!?!!? I WANTED TO SEE HIM WIN FOR ONCE!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T THE WRITERS E-V-E-R LET HIM WIN?!?!!?!?!?

...only to be defeated by another Mary Sue/Gary Stu with poor development. Bonus points if Pikachu is defeated early in Alola by a Magikarp who only knows Splash.

They just killed the anime, the anime was at its peak right now (At least the XY series's peak) and they destroyed it like this. Their games weren't selling that well but Pokémon GO has helped Nintendo recover from the loss and if Ash has won, then fans would surely be back to the show and start playing games again. But unfortunately....NO! they just destroyed an opportunity. I can see the end of Pokémon is near.

The end of Pokémon? Nah, we can trust Nintendo and Game Freak to find a way to keep the franchise popular, especially with Pokémon GO being strong. The first thing they should do is create another Pokémon anime (ala, Origins) that would appeal to teens and adults while letting the current anime decay to a preschooler show.

Personally, if I could come back from the show having Satoshi lose to a complete idiot who thought the Isshu League was in Johto and only five Pokemon were used in a full battle then I can come back from anything. Yeah, Satoshi lost but it's hardly going to kill the anime. We've seen progress, and it's not like the show will spend another twenty years before allowing Satoshi to win so it's a far cry to say the show has jumped the shark and is close to death. I much prefer this ending to Satoshi losing to a Legendary Trainer or some guy's Nyarth or, like I said, the moron from Isshu.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom