• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

You all should know by now, Ash will never win a league. No matter how strong he gets, they'll always have someone beat him.
BUT WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? WHY DO THEY NEVER LET HIM WIN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?! IT'S NOT LIKE HAVING HIM WIN AT L-E-A-S-T ONE SINGLE LEAGUE OF AN OFFICIAL REGION THAT IS BASED OFF THE GAME WIN END THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't Ash win a god damn league for once? Why is that so hard? Who set this rule that he never can? And why do we constantly need ridiculously OP characters to storm in at the last minute?
I agree, It's like the Writers feel that If He Wins a League the show will be over!!!!! and that's JUST a load of Tauros Spit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though you could quite easily have him win, lose to an Elite 4, and then send him off to the next region where he'll hope to continue progressing without having to alter the formula of the show much at all.
I AGREE; WHY CAN'T THEY JUST DO T-H-A-T?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
One part that kinda sorta maybe gets me is that they probably don't even realise what they're doing wrong with Alain right now. This is a guy who has never lost once in the main series, which would make Gary weep. Things aren't too rosy when they're teaching viewers how not to write characters.

One part that kinda sorta maybe gets me is that they probably don't even realise what they're doing wrong with Alain right now. This is a guy who has never lost once in the main series, which would make Gary weep. Things aren't too rosy when they're teaching viewers how not to write characters.
This is my exact problem with Alain winning. He hasn't lost since his debut. His win record is now 28-1. This is just how you don't write a character. This makes him seem too perfect if he never loses or goes through any struggles or anything.

Frankly I think people calling this a jumping the Sharpedo moment are a little ahead of themselves. Let's see how the Team Flare Arc goes first.

This is my exact problem with Alain winning. He hasn't lost since his debut. His win record is now 28-1. This is just how you don't write a character. This makes him seem too perfect if he never loses or goes through any struggles or anything.
Mmm. I guess there's the prospect of him facing some struggles as he comes to grips with how gullible he's been with Lysandre and Team Flare. Y'know, since he weakened Z2 enough for it to be caught and put in this position...

Frankly I think people calling this a jumping the Sharpedo moment are a little ahead of themselves. Let's see how the Team Flare Arc goes first.

Predictably, Lysandre is spared by the adaptation and is arrested by Officer Jenny instead of being crushed to death by the Ultimate Weapon. But yes, the Team Flare Arc isn't done, and has a chance to either redeem this anime, or destroy it altogether.

The most annoying part is, that while I don't pretend to have any particular gift for creative writing, I mean I was ok in school but nothing special and haven't written anything since then, but I feel like even I could write a better story than the current writers do. Not just me, most of us could.

It's almost like something from a Creative Writing 101 class about what not to do in your story. Goku was able to win the World Tournament, Yugi became King of Games and still had a story. I don't watch too much anime, only that which gets dubbed into English, but Ash is the only one I know of who never actually gets to win or reach his goal?

This episode was disappointing. In the XY/XYZ series, this was the strongest and most confident Ash of all time. He managed to bring the best out of Greninja and yet he still lost. I thought there was no way Mega Charizard, with all the damage he took, would have survived that super powered water shuriken and he shouldn't have. I guess he's that OP

Why is everyone so mad about it? It was ok to me, but seeing Ash losing touched me a bit. Oh well, maybe he will try harder in Alola.

tumblr_oc3tqpdvqO1r2iinvo1_540.png

Check out those dislikes... wow...

Why is everyone so mad about it? It was ok to me, but seeing Ash losing touched me a bit. Oh well, maybe he will try harder in Alola.
Or be reset, considering how well he's done in Kalos. We got closer than ever before in Sinnoh, then Unova dumbed the competence right out of him.

tumblr_oc3tqpdvqO1r2iinvo1_540.png

Lol. I really don't need to say much more.

I'm having a giggle at this thread but it's only going to get better when the "Haha! I SAID that he was going to lose!" crowd gets here

Thanks for the ride, League. Maybe this shows plot twist will be that Team Flare wins the final battle and everyone dies.

Because the way they went about it after everything that had happened throughout the series was complete and utter bullshit. Everyone knew he was going to lose to Tobias (since Paul was the main focus of the Sinnoh League), I never bothered with BW (although that series was apparently a hot mess in itself), but there was absolutely no logic to this loss considering a) Ash's character development this season and b) the anticipation the writers deliberately built and encouraged. Alain and his OPZard are straight-up Gary Stus, and I'm not taking that accusation back.

I never bothered with BW (although that series was apparently a hot mess in itself)
In BW, Ash loses to someone who mistook a TV remote for a Pokédex, thought that you needed seven badges to enter the league, thought the league would be held in Johto, forgot to register, thought that Registered was a Pokémon species, only got in thanks to Ash's intervention, and brought 5 Pokémon to a Full Battle.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

The most annoying part is, that while I don't pretend to have any particular gift for creative writing, I mean I was ok in school but nothing special and haven't written anything since then, but I feel like even I could write a better story than the current writers do. Not just me, most of us could.

It's almost like something from a Creative Writing 101 class about what not to do in your story. Goku was able to win the World Tournament, Yugi became King of Games and still had a story. I don't watch too much anime, only that which gets dubbed into English, but Ash is the only one I know of who never actually gets to win or reach his goal?

What rules are there that prevent Ash from winning? I've seen many franchises where the main character succeeds, yet their adventures are not over yet. It is inexcusable to keep a person ten years old and never letting him win leagues for decades, let alone give no appeal to older fans. Someone should be fired over this.

Gosh, and I thought the Japanese are neutral on this. Guess they're just as angry as we are.

Someone should be fired over this.
Apparently this episode was written by the same writer who did Ash vs Cameron, and we all know how much of a steaming turd that one was.

Gosh, and I thought the Japanese are neutral on this. Guess they're just as angry as we are.
Lesson of the week: Don't underestimate your anime fanbase.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom