• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

"If Ash was going to win the perfect chance was in Kanto or Johto" Wrong the perfect chance was now. All the stars was aligned, from the sheer frequency of Ash saying he was going to win compared to other series to Amour to 20th anniversary to Ash forme Greninja to Sun and Moon not appearing to have gym matches. This was the first time as far as I can tell that people actually thought he had a chance as it was happening. I knew the chance was small but it is annoying to think that I will never get a lot of people to admit it was there and in a way it doesn't matter because at this point and until we get something bigger than all the reasons tons of people including me were repeating over and over and over he doesn't have a chance anymore it seems. When I complained about the result to a friend I had to deal with the annoying "Red is better than Ash" meme.

But at the same time he never got this far and maybe when and if he does win he might be able to do with a higher quality league arc. Reserves no completely skipped battles returning rivals the works.

Last edited:
"If Ash was going to win the perfect change was in Kanto or Johto" Wrong the perfect chance was now all the stars was aligned. From the sheer frequency of Ash saying he was going to win compared to other series to Amour to 20th anniversary to Ash forme Greninja to Sun and Moon not appearing to have gym matches. This was the first time as far as I can tell that people actually thought he had a chance as it was happening. I knew the chance was small but it is annoying to think that I will never get a lot of people to admit it was there and in a way it doesn't matter because at this point and until we get something bigger than all the reasons tons of people including me were repeating over and over and over he doesn't have a chance anyone it seems. When I complained about the result to a friend I had to deal with the annoying "Red is better than Ash" meme.

But at the same time he never got this far and maybe when and if he does win he might be able to do with a higher quality league arc. Reserves no completely skipped battles returning rivals the works.

We have one leeway to all of this: Alain and Team Flare. They are true climax of the story, the culmination of many things not the League. And really, the only obstacle that Ash needs to personally overcome is Alain himself. I do wish the next few episodes airs today. I can't wait.

I believe the argument is that he didn't deserve to win more than Ash. For many people (and I count myself amongst these), Alain has not proven himself to be a deserving champion. Compare his journey to Ash: he's been manipulated from the very start, has shown contempt (in my interpretation) for those who he regards as weaker. Look at his semi-final match up, he just walked off, no congratulations or well done. Poor sportsmanship in comparison to Ash who, if you remember at the start of the tournament, doesn't look down on those who can't complete the gym circuit. He has never had a desire to become champion, unlike Ash. Ash has shown sportsmanship, has not contributed to Team Flare's schemes and overall respects the bonds of Pokemon more than Alain

Alain was obsessed with strength and still is. Only this time, he sees strength as a means to an end. Even in the battle, you saw him obsess over it. This obsession, in my opinion, makes him an unworthy winner.

I completely agree that Ash is more deserving in terms of sportsmanship and behaviour. However, unfortunately Alain is stronger. But Ash beats him in every other aspect. He really deserved to win, but Alain should have won.

I completely agree that Ash is more deserving in terms of sportsmanship and behaviour. However, unfortunately Alain is stronger. But Ash beats him in every other aspect. He really deserved to win, but Alain should have won.

To me, the only Pokémon that needs to be stronger against Alain is Greninja. Think about it. It was virtually an even match, down to the exact numbers of wins and defeats. The only difference was Greninja vs Charizard.

And really, when you think about it, that's where it's ultimately going to boil down to in the inevitable rematch. Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X.

telling people to kill themselves if they're fine with the outcome is not going to be tolerated
I didn't tell ANYONE to kill themselves!!!!!!!!!!!

that was just a lazy cop-out to keep the status quo
I Agree with you there COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking into the episode a little more... I think this could be worth speculating: Could it be that the writers and everyone creating the episode first made it in a way that Ash was the one who would win, but weeks after it was made, the people on top ordered them to make it so Alain won instead? Somehow, the way the clips were shown, they could switch not that much of the animation nearing the end of the battle showing ash winning, and to make it look much more believable an episode.

Just a theory...

After looking into the episode a little more... I think this could be worth speculating: Could it be that the writers and everyone creating the episode first made it in a way that Ash was the one who would win, but weeks after it was made, the people on top ordered them to make it so Alain won instead?
No. The outcome of the league should have a direct effect on subsequent episodes.

After looking into the episode a little more... I think this could be worth speculating: Could it be that the writers and everyone creating the episode first made it in a way that Ash was the one who would win, but weeks after it was made, the people on top ordered them to make it so Alain won instead? Somehow, the way the clips were shown, they could switch not that much of the animation nearing the end of the battle showing ash winning, and to make it look much more believable an episode.

Just a theory...

I think it has something to do with Alain's association with Team Flare. Notice how off the music and tone is to the scene? This is the Cerberus Syndrome. And I think the real match between Ash and Alain is during or after Team Flare.

The point about the depression arc was that Ash-Greninja's power is not based on winning, is based on the bond and how much you care about your Pokémon. It was fully mastered when a Pokémon was endangered. I might sound like a broken record, but I still feel that the League is not exactly over. At least for Alain and Ash. Alain I can only see humiliation conga from here on out. For Ash, this is where Ash-Greninja dwarfs Mega Charizard X if Olympia's prophecy is anything to go by. I think Orange Shuriken is the key.
Your assumptions may become reality if Ash ends up fighting Alain in the Team Flare plot. Maybe it will be there where Ash-Greninja finally defeats Mega Charizard.

EDIT: Just saw your above post, saying the same thing. Anyway, that may explain the somewhat underwhelming fight between the two in the league final.

I just can't like him though, because
he's been shown to just be too perfect. With him losing like once the whole series and going on to have a string of wins that led to him winning a league bugs me
I agree, It Bugs me too; He's BASICALLY a Gary Stu that NEVER LOSES, Which is the STUPIDEST Thing Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it only me that I had anticipated that the Kalos League itself is merely a MacGuffin and a red herring for hiding something more important afterward since the beginning preliminary, therefore Ash winning the Kalos League is something utterly unimportant at all to begin with?

Because I foreseen that since the first episode of Kalos League arc, hence I was being completely indifferent towards the final result. Whether Ash win or lose, it has no influence to me personally.

Though, it is just interesting to see the reactions and read the response of many other fans.

I read all the messages and I create a acoount for reply.. I am angry about the resolution and disappointed, because I expected this episode for almost 20 years, I viewed all the chapters and always will hope that Satoshi win a league. Obviously you expect improve and developing for Satoshi, but how much time is necessary, 20 years more? 30? I don't think that the anime ends for winning a league, you have multiple options for continuing the series and keep the journey, but in my opinion I feel that how this league ends, things will not the same. Sorry for my bad english, is not my native language.

Lmao!

You know, when Gekkouga fainted I actually swore out loud. Couldn't believe he was so close to winning but just couldn't go that extra step. And then I was over it. Gosh, this fandom really knows how to overreact. The fans have made this just one big joke and I feel almost like I fell for a prank by the show :p

That being said I am still super pleased with Ash placing second in the league. Knowing he made it to the final feels so weird. I stayed away from the forums for months to avoid spoilers and go into this league blind and it was totally worth it. Never thought he would get so far and I was like a 5 year-old at Christmas throughout both the semi-final and final matches. I can still easily say that Kalos saga has been easily one of the most excellent.

By the end of this episode, I was completely looking forward to what happens next with Team Flare. The story goes on, guys!

well the salt is real, that's for certain.
maybe after the team flare arc they can make ash a retroactive winner or something by means of alain cheating or something
either way this is kind of disappointing that 18 seasons later the only league he's ever won is the orange islands, which was made exclusively for the anime.

My full review as I am kept all night:

Right off the bat, we are given the rest of the Charizard vs Pikachu fight and it predictably ends with Pikachu losing to Charizard. Ash calls in Goodra and starts Rain Dance. This is an epic battleground of soaking rain, and Goodra puts up a good fight against Bisharp despite the type disadvantage, though it got hit by Guillotine. Bisharp is so weakened that Greninja makes short work of it without getting a scratch. And finally its Charizard vs Greninja. Already Greninja shows that it can push Charizard backwards, and it isn't stopping anytime soon. Even when fully evolved, the two are titans to be reckoned.

But here's where the episode went into an Evangelion 2.0 scenario. A tape recorder that began skipping out of order. The music of XY&Z starts way too early and ends way too soon. This is where the battle was at its most intense, but it's also felt like the match was not reaching its climax. Like something cataclysmic is about to happen. The Shuriken Disc was not build up, only seems to be a preview that spooks Alain, and there was no XY&Z music accompanying it. That's when you realize just how close the battle really is.

And that's when it comes to the aftermath. Everything felt wrong. I mean everything. It's strange, almost alien. Even when considering status quo, it's bizarre. The build-up and the tension were all there, but the result felt like a Twilight Zone episode. Something that was not meant to happen. Even Alain holding a trophy felt artificial, like it was a trinket instead of a grand reward. And that's when Lysandre made his move. That's when I realize the whole match was a red herring.

Lysandre was wicked here. Truly evil. And that Z2's brainwashing felt even more disturbing with Alain winning the League. If it was Ash, we would have something to celebrate before Team Flare strikes. But with Alain, it felt completely artificial from beginning to end.

And oh boy, the destruction. This makes the Ultimate Weapon look like a child's toy because this is the type of destruction that folks could only dream of in mature anime. The vines actually destroyed the League conference and Lumoise is completely engulfed. When you consider the champion, you realized that Alain winning the championship is a curse. Because how would the residents react to the news that their new champion was responsible for this mess.

All I can say is, the story here is not over. Ash and Alain still have some unfinished business to settle once this is all done. Particularly on "Alain, how could you be so stupid." Also the fact that Alain has virtually disgraced the name champion and made Ash look good in the process.
Nice theory. Who knows - Alain might feel responsible for the whole Team Flare crisis because he has been collecting Mega energy for them all along. He might consider himself unworthy as a trainer for contributing to a dangerous operation and putting lives at risk. Might step down from the title he's earned. Anything could happen.

But that aside, it is disappointing that an anime targeted at young children would never let their hero win. Accepting a loss and learning drom your mistakes are both important qualities a hero should have, but heroes are someone you look up to and root for. Ash is and was the hero of many children, and it is disheartening to see him lose even when he was at his best.

-The hype with the Greninja form, even a video dedicated to it.
-The writers seemed to learn from their Best Wishes mistakes and made XY the most solid entry in the anime franchise.
-Ash's character picked up fron when it was left off at the end of Diamond & Pearl in terms of competence and development.
-Ash's most developed team and the first with all region native Pokemon fully evolved.
-20th Anniversary of the franchise.
-New Generation that seems to discard the League system around the corner.
-And while not anticipated, Pokemon GO has brought the franchise back into the general spotlight.

The moment was PERFECT for him to win the League. Him winning a regional league doesn't put a halt into future travels and adventures. He can win Kalos, but come across new obstacles in Alola he can't overcome. There will always be new things for him to face. He can win some, and lose some. Not lose ALL, because that's just incompetent thinking and shows how little faith the people running this show have in making something truly worthwhile.

And I feel further sad because of what this character has meant to so many at certain points in their lives. From the nostalgia dorks to the little kids watching today. Ash has brought them joy. I've seen adults with their Kanto Ash hat hunting for Pokemon for their GO games, like I saw a little kid the other day with a plastic Kalos Ash hat at work buying Pokemon cards. Ash deserved this win, all the kids who's hearts he's touched through out the years deserved this win.

The moment was PERFECT for him to win the League. Him winning a regional league doesn't put a halt into future travels and adventures. He can win Kalos, but come across new obstacles in Alola he can't overcome. There will always be new things for him to face. He can win some, and lose some. Not lose ALL, because that's just incompetent thinking and shows how little faith the people running this show have in making something truly worthwhile.

And I feel further sad because of what this character has meant to so many at certain points in their lives. From the nostalgia dorks to the little kids watching today. Ash has brought them joy. I've seen adults with their Kanto Ash hat hunting for Pokemon for their GO games, like I saw a little kid the other day with a plastic Kalos Ash hat at work buying Pokemon cards. Ash deserved this win, all the kids who's hearts he's touched through out the years deserved this win.
I Agree with you; HE N-E-E-D-E-D TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guys so the flare arc is 6 episodes long 4 half hour long and the climax at one hour special but if they brainwash ash that would add more fuel to the Ash vs lysarde Battle at the end rright man i watched the preview of the whole arc and they not show much but is a big hype for me

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom