• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

I didn't tell ANYONE to kill themselves!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say that you did. Don't put words in my mouth. That comment did come up from another user and I felt the need to include it in the in-thread warning. In the future, if you feel the need to comment on something a staff member says in a warning, talk to them privately instead of doing so in the thread and derailing the topic again.

I am disgusted by the attitude towards Ash losing the league. Was there signs and reasons for him to win? Yes but the writers never confirmed that he would win the league. Ash landed top 8 in Unova and that never got that much hate as this one. Half of Ash's team got slaughter by Darkrai and the other half by Latios but no one called it the worst league ever. Charizard costs Ash a league by disobedience but everyone was keen to let that off the hook.

There is nothing but bias hatred towards this episode and league. I have at least shown some level of maturity and acceptance in the matter. Would I have like to see Ash win the Kalos league? Yes but I am not going to moan and groan about how it didn't went my way. This is how the writers wanted it to go and the sooner that it is accepted, the sooner we can move on and look forward to Alola.

Even if Ash would have to fight against Alain again in Team Flare Arc, even if he wins, even if Alain will decide to return Winning Cup it won't change a fact that Ash lost in a fair fight. He is a loser. And nothing will change that. Kalos Crisis? Who cares? We see the same type of thing in each region as it was in previous regions. He lost his main battle again. And Alain didn't learn a thing as he won. It just proved that his ideals and methods were right.

I am disgusted by the attitude towards Ash losing the league. Was there signs and reasons for him to win? Yes but the writers never confirmed that he would win the league. Ash landed top 8 in Unova and that never got that much hate as this one. Half of Ash's team got slaughter by Darkrai and the other half by Latios but no one called it the worst league ever. Charizard costs Ash a league by disobedience but everyone was keen to let that off the hook.

There is nothing but bias hatred towards this episode and league. I have at least shown some level of maturity and acceptance in the matter. Would I have like to see Ash win the Kalos league? Yes but I am not going to moan and groan about how it didn't went my way. This is how the writers wanted it to go and the sooner that it is accepted, the sooner we can move on and look forward to Alola.

It can't be accepted so easily this time. The show implied he will and he had to win. Other result would have a been a worst writing. Which they did. I won't forgive it and many others too. They need to learn a lesson. If not - nothing will change.

Even if Ash would have to fight against Alain again in Team Flare Arc, even if he wins, even if Alain will decide to return Winning Cup it won't change a fact that Ash lost in a fair fight. He is a loser. And nothing will change that. Kalos Crisis? Who cares? We see the same type of thing in each region as it was in previous regions. He lost his main battle again. And Alain didn't learn a thing as he won. It just proved that his ideals and methods were right.

It can't be accepted so easily this time. The show implied he will and he had to win. Other result would have a been a worst writing. Which they did. I won't forgive it and many others too. They need to learn a lesson. If not - nothing will change.
I don't think it was implied that he would win but it was implied that he had a chance to win. The writers believe that it was good writing so that is good enough for me.

There is more to being a champion than simply being a straight winner. At least in Pokémon. The reason I deemed Alain to be unfit to be champion is his attitude and his little connection to Team Flare. Imagine the headlines of a champion who nearly destroyed Lumoise City by unwittingly aiding a villainous gang several times. And the runner-up of the Kalos League is the one who saved everyone from dying. Champion or not, it doesn't change the fact who was the hero and who was the fool. I've used the movie Cars as an example of how a champion doesn't make you are a hero that everyone looks up to before.

The fact of the matter is that victory was only determined by a sliver. And a sliver is enough for one to consider a rematch and reexamination. And Alain's methods and ideals, make no mistakes, will be challenged and broken by the Team Flare arc. If he is wise enough, he would have realized that his methods and ideals are the reason why Kalos is on fire. If he looks hard enough, he would realize that problems he has were his fault.

1) This is the internet, people are free to express their opinions and apparently most people's opinions are against this episode.
2) The way they hyped up the episode through commercials, Pokenchi, Corocoro and even the episode title itself all gave indication that this would actually be Ash's chance to win an official Pokemon league.
3) Refer to #2 as to why nobody gave the other leagues as much flak as this one. . In addition, it's Pokemon's 20th anniversary and the series is as popular as ever thanks to Pokemon GO's resounding success. Imo though, Tobias was as if a Gary Stu underwent Mega Evolution and pretty much the peak of bad character writing.
4) Once again, there's reasons people hate this episode and league, not because they're "biased".
5) Not exactly mature by calling other people "bias" because they have differing opinions than yours.
6) People have been accepting Ash's losing streak for 19 years now and this league may have been the straw that made Camerupt call a chiropractor. If people just take this lying down, then nothing will EVER change in the anime and every region will continue to have the same played-out gags, the same expys, the same disappointments and excitements. I don't know about you, but I think cartoons can be 2D and still have depth to them.

In other words, Sun and Moon are looking like they're going to change up the main series game formula and it's about time that the Anime gets on the same train.

The fact of the matter is that victory was only determined by a sliver. And a sliver is enough for one to consider a rematch and reexamination. And Alain's methods and ideals, make no mistakes, will be challenged and broken by the Team Flare arc. If he is wise enough, he would have realized that his methods and ideals are the reason why Kalos is on fire. If he looks hard enough, he would realize that problems he has were his fault.
That's a reason for Alain to commit his life to protecting Kalos in order to redeem himself. It has nothing to do with the league.

Ehrm, freedom of speech dude, it appears that you're saltier on the salty fans than they are to this episode lmao
The writers got lazy the whole league, they gave Goodra such a shitty performance, heck only Pikachu and Greninja received the spotlight, and that would be bcoz they skipped all the battles before the semifinals
They are just too lazy to even think of a plot where Ash would be some big shot trainer
Kalos is all about Megas, every featured battles has mega in it, another proof of laziness (the megas)
Unova is overall a shitty season, doubt there's much that watched it so the shitstorm is not as bad as this one
Sinnoh has the best league and the best season in the series imo, Paul vs Ash is arguably the best battle all time, more tension, more history and battle of two contradicting trainers who has both owned the star pokemon of that battle
Hoenn showed everyone of Ash's battle, everyone gets to shine, only Torkoal don't get that much
In Johto he used every Pokemon he can, there's drama in almost every battle
Kanto is just as good as this
Everyone of us wants Ash to win the league, are there guys that don't?
Even the status quo guys, in their heart, want Ash to win, it's all a matter of do you believe he'll win or not?
And maturity? Says the guy annoyed at the guys voicing their opinion lmao, but since we're wathcing a show for kids, nvm

That's a reason for Alain to commit his life to protecting Kalos in order to redeem himself. It has nothing to do with the league.

But the League feeds his desire to be the strongest. Something that would be soured upon realizing where that path has taken him (Lysandre was the one who set him on that path). The championship would likely affirm him as the strongest. But depending on how the arc will go, it is likely for Alain to realize that he hasn't been truly the strongest and that there are people more deserving of the championship than him.

1) This is the internet, people are free to express their opinions and apparently most people's opinions are against this episode.
2) The way they hyped up the episode through commercials, Pokenchi, Corocoro and even the episode title itself all gave indication that this would actually be Ash's chance to win an official Pokemon league.
3) Refer to #2 as to why nobody gave the other leagues as much flak as this one. . In addition, it's Pokemon's 20th anniversary and the series is as popular as ever thanks to Pokemon GO's resounding success. Imo though, Tobias was as if a Gary Stu underwent Mega Evolution and pretty much the peak of bad character writing.
4) Once again, there's reasons people hate this episode and league, not because they're "biased".
5) Not exactly mature by calling other people "bias" because they have differing opinions than yours.
6) People have been accepting Ash's losing streak for 19 years now and this league may have been the straw that made Camerupt call a chiropractor. If people just take this lying down, then nothing will EVER change in the anime and every region will continue to have the same played-out gags, the same expys, the same disappointments and excitements. I don't know about you, but I think cartoons can be 2D and still have depth to them.

In other words, Sun and Moon are looking like they're going to change up the main series game formula and it's about time that the Anime gets on the same train.
My apologies but I find it outrageous to bash Alain, the episode, the series and the writers for something that is not that big of a deal. Ash did had a chance to win but was not guaranteed.
Ehrm, freedom of speech dude, it appears that you're saltier on the salty fans than they are to this episode lmao
The writers got lazy the whole league, they gave Goodra such a shitty performance, heck only Pikachu and Greninja received the spotlight, and that would be bcoz they skipped all the battles before the semifinals
They are just too lazy to even think of a plot where Ash would be some big shot trainer
Kalos is all about Megas, every featured battles has mega in it, another proof of laziness (the megas)
Unova is overall a shitty season, doubt there's much that watched it so the shitstorm is not as bad as this one
Sinnoh has the best league and the best season in the series imo, Paul vs Ash is arguably the best battle all time, more tension, more history and battle of two contradicting trainers who has both owned the star pokemon of that battle
Hoenn showed everyone of Ash's battle, everyone gets to shine, only Torkoal don't get that much
In Johto he used every Pokemon he can, there's drama in almost every battle
Kanto is just as good as this
Even the status quo guys, in their heart, want Ash to win, it's all a matter of do you believe he'll win or not?
And maturity? Says the guy annoyed at the guys voicing their opinion lmao, but since we're wathcing a show for kids, nvm
What I meant was that bashing the show, character and writers would serve no purpose. It won't change what has happen.

Some of us actually care about how he wins. He has so many Pokemon at this point that relying on just two "aces" for a league victory feels hollow and misguided.

Shadao said:
But depending on how the arc will go, it is likely for Alain to realize that he hasn't been truly the strongest and that there are people more deserving of the championship than him.
I don't know what emo Alain is going to think, but Ash and anyone else in their right mind wouldn't accept a pity trophy.

Some of us actually care about how he wins. He has so many Pokemon at this point that relying on just two "aces" for a league victory feels hollow and misguided.

I don't know what emo Alain is going to think, but Ash and anyone else in their right mind wouldn't accept a pity trophy.

Which is why I speculate a rematch yet again.

Shinzō Fujita has been with the anime since about the 39th episode of the anime, so there's no vendetta going on at all.

The league is over. No rematch is going to change that.
I originally thought that a rematch would feel empty, but with things in Team Flare looking like they might go another direction with Alain, going off of what Shadao is saying, there might be reason to settle things once and for all between Ash and Alain, if Alain betrays Ash in some way.

I originally thought that a rematch would feel empty, but with things in Team Flare looking like they might go another direction with Alain, going off of what Shadao is saying, there might be reason to settle things once and for all between Ash and Alain, if Alain betrays Ash in some way.
That's a contrived theory if I ever saw one. Alain has no reason to keep helping Team Flare once the cat is out of the bag.

And again, no rematch of any kind is going to change the outcome of the league. Deal with it.

I am disgusted by the attitude towards Ash losing the league. Was there signs and reasons for him to win? Yes but the writers never confirmed that he would win the league.

While some people's reactions were over the top, you're not making any better contributions with that generalizing opening sentence. A lot of people were disappointed with the outcome, albeit for different reasons. Yes, some have a bad case of excessive entitlement, but others have provided rational explanations as to why they didn't like Ash's defeat.

Ash landed top 8 in Unova and that never got that much hate as this one. Half of Ash's team got slaughter by Darkrai and the other half by Latios but no one called it the worst league ever. Charizard costs Ash a league by disobedience but everyone was keen to let that off the hook.

The BW arc was generally disliked. When it came to the Sinnoh league, while it was outrageous Tobias has at least two legendaries, Ash came down in blazing glory. Charizard costing Ash in Kanto was perfectly reasonable as Ash was still learning the ropes on raising his Pokemon.

This is rather hyperbolic and also contradictory, as opinions are inherently biased. And I'm sure people already acknowledged the fact that this was how the writers wanted the conclusion to go. However, this does not necessarily mean they should approve of the outcome. Let the open marketplace of ideas run its course and perhaps, the writers will put the criticism into consideration.

Except he won't and there will be no rematch between them. Though I see Alain changing somehow after the Flare Arc is over. Because of him Kalos will be almost destroyed and I doubt he will remain the same. He needs to atone for his sins and he will stay with Professor helping him rebuild Kalos. No chance for him challenging E4 or Champion. This dream will be over for him one way or another.

And Ash is a loser of Kalos League. Nothing will change that fact. Greninja is too weak to beat Charizard. And he will never be his strongest pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom