• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

Look at the bright side guys... this is the first time ever that Ash got in to the TOP 2 best trainers in a Pokémon League. Plus: fainting 5 of 6 of the oponnents Pokémon (not being totally destroyed with only 1 or 2 OP Poke). He stood just 1 Pokémon away from the title. And more: this is the first League that Ash fights using all fully evolved Pokémon. He improved (slooooowly, but yes).

The ONLY thing that really makes me SAD is the fact that Ash seems not to care about losing the FINAL. If he simply don't care about winning or losing, whats the point? Does he want or not to become a Pokémon Master? Look at Shouta's reaction after losing: he went to study battles, to improve. Ash is just happy that he lost... again... for the 6 time in a Pokémon League... it doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited:
Look at the bright side guys... this is the first time ever that Ash got in to the TOP 2 best trainers in a Pokémon League. Plus: fainting 5 of 6 of the oponnents Pokémon (not being totally destroyed with only 1 or 2 OP Poke). He stood just 1 Pokémon away from the title. And more: this is the first League that Ash fights using all fully evolved Pokémon. He improved (slooooowly, but yes).

The ONLY thing that really makes me SAD is the fact that Ash seems not to care about losing the FINAL. If he simply don't care about winning or losing, whats the point? Does he want or not to become a Pokémon Master? Look at Shouta's reaction after losing: he went to study battles, to improve. Ash is just happy that he lost... again... for the 6 time in a Pokémon League... it doesn't make any sense at all.
I agree, It's like he's become Indifferent to it, Like he's not Even Concerned anymore!!!

I agree, It's like he's become Indifferent to it, Like he's not Even Concerned anymore!!!

Its a curious thing because he got really pissed after losing the battle for the 8th Badge. But losing the League Final? Simply don't give a damm.

I understand that he gets more mature and so, but even a mature trainer need THAT "NEED TO WIN" FEELING you know (like he had a lot in the Battle Frontier arc, or in Kanto/Johto/Sinnoh leagues).

Ash behaves as a Magikarp, splashing through Leagues without purpose.

Other thing that was hugely bizarre in this episode was the fact that Charizard X DIDN'T EVEN GOT TIME to respond the big-mega-red-shuriken-of-doom! Look at the episode folks. There's no available time to move and send a Blast Burn there (and we need to remember that it would be his second Blast Burn, so with less power). Only if Charizard X is like level 100 and Satoshi-Greninja is level 70... even then... zero to logic =/

I will say this: if they really couldn't let Ash win, then a tie would've been fitting. Have Ash-Greninja pull off his attack and obliterate Charizard X before collapsing from expending so much power. Then Team Flare wrecks shit and the rest of the Kalos League is sadly off. Charizard X seemed too... OP as much as I hate using such wore out buzzwords.

I will say this: if they really couldn't let Ash win, then a tie would've been fitting. Have Ash-Greninja pull off his attack and obliterate Charizard X before collapsing from expending so much power. Then Team Flare wrecks shit and the rest of the Kalos League is sadly off. Charizard X seemed too... OP as much as I hate using such wore out buzzwords.

All the more reason why I don't believe it's status quo preventing Ash from winning for now. Let us remember about a few things:

1) Alain. Though he did beat Ash, he is no Ritchie, Harrison, Tyson, or Tobias in terms of character. He has one distinct trait that makes him unique: Anti-Villain. From the very beginning, Alain is associated with Team Flare and it was Lysandre who instill Alain's beliefs of strength and power. From a children's show perspective, that makes Alain's philosophy inherently wrong as unlike Paul or Gary who made their philosophy on their own (and thus you could technically respect their methods even if you don't necessarily agree with it), it comes from someone who is clearly our main villain. This means that unlike regular League rivals who are portrayed as genuinely friendly or simply better than Ash, Alain is basically the opponent that Ash will have to overcome at the very end of series.

2) The League. I've mentioned several times that I felt something was very off about the final battle. Be it music or tone, it was clear to me that this not how the League is suppose to end. No big ceremonies, no Ash reflecting or talking about his future plans. It's simply ends with Alain receiving a trophy... and that's really it. Even though Alain seems satisfied, it felt very artificial as if has no weight to it. Then notice how the episode ends. Not with a resolved ending, but a cliffhanger.

3) Team Flare. The moment Alain wins, that's when Team Flare makes its move. Like Amon hijacking the Pro-Bending Stadium after the final round was done, Team Flare unleash an attack that simply makes everyone forget about the League. Then consider that they were supporting Alain... for sinister reasons. Whether they rigged the League or not, none can deny that Team Flare casts a dark shadow over Alain and this "champion" is not what he seems to Ash.

There are many things I can go on about. But going from a story perspective, this is brilliant writing here. The League ends on a sliver and you almost felt certain that Ash was going to win. Everything was building up to this moment... until Greninja faints. And then episode goes into this eerie mood of something's not right. An Evangelion 2.0. scenario if you will. Alain learned nothing from that win while Ash has finally mature to not take his loss seriously (as he resolved that issue with the Ash-Greninja trials). We see at their monologues that Ash is already the champion in spirit here, while Alain is still following that dangerous goal of never trying to lose in order for Mairin to smile. It's quite clear that Ash deserves the champion title and Alain does not.

That's why it felt wrong for Alain to win. Even if you believe Status Quo Is God, you still feel that it wasn't right at all. And to hammer down that point, the episode ends with Team Flare attacking the League, drawing the audience such as myself in and wondering what's going to happen next. You know, had Ash won the League, I would have been satisfied and simply go back to bed, not caring that much about watching the Team Flare arc. But since he didn't win and Team Flare directly attacks, I can't really rest until I see the next episode. That's brilliant and has me hooked to the story.

Make no mistake friends, Ash and Alain are not done yet. And considering they constantly emphasize Alain's connection to Team Flare to the very end, do not assume he will be on Ash's side at the beginning of this conflict.

Ash-Greninja was extremely close to beating Alain's Charizard even before they perfected the form. Basically, the reason they lost was because Ash fainted. Now that they've perfected the form, people expected Ash to come out on top. Then Ash-Greninja created that huge shuriken that glowed red and people thought that it would be it. Somehow, Charizard still stands. I think that some people are confused as to how it survived that. This gives me more evidence to think that TF rigged the game somehow and I don't know why that dialogue between Malva and TR would occur (unless it actually just was the subber being angry).

Has anyone else seen the section I'm talking about? Just before Greninja and Charizard's battle, where Malva is talking to the camera and says something like "when Greninja is defeated..." before TR comment on why she says that as though it's certain Ash will lose.

Ok then, I imagine I'm pretty late to the party. :p

Wow, I've read all the posts and this thread is filled to the brim with a ton of complaints. I don't blame some people. I was sort of convinced Ash would finally win a League after 20 long years. When I saw that Ash-Greninja collapsed instead of Mega Charizard, I kinda wanted to scream. But then again I wasn't really mad because I knew deep down he was going lose again, even after all the overwhelming hype. Oh well. :(

Although, I wished Alain and his MegaZard would finally fall, I immediately cheered up and went on to watch Team Flare put their plan into gear. To me, that and Ash and Alain's final battle are my favorites parts. The Kalos League might not be the best league I've seen and the battles weren't as strategic as the Sinnoh League ones, but it's been fun to watch Ash progress throughout his journey just to finally reach ahead to the finals. I'm at least glad he ALMOST won.

I'm really excited and HYPED up for Team Flare climax. I just can't wait for all the action. Now that the League is over, it's time to focus my attention on how this will end. Hopefully by some chance, if any, Ash will battle Alain if he turns traitor and make his OP MegaZard go down. I won't really fuss either way, especially about Ash's loss. Anyway, the episode shall be given at least an 8/10. (mostly because of Team Flare)
Better luck next time, Ash. ;)

There is only one thing I could say about this episode.

I feel so fool to believe that they were going to let him win. Just like so many, many people.

I do not know about you guys, but I am too old for this.

But like many more say, the team flare climax remains there.

But they better do something HUGE to compensate for what they have done.

Otherwise, I am done with the anime.

Sonic fans couldn't get Sonic's eyes turned black again, Bronies couldn't get Twilight Sparkle's library rebuilt (and also couldn't get a certain infamous fandom nod's eyes re-crossed, couldn't get Twilight Sparkle to not get wings, etc.), and Pokemon fans won't get Alain's victory retconned. Fandoms in general have utterly ruined the credibility of petitions. And to be really frank, fandoms have shown that they are the last people who should be lent an ear to.

I broke my "no more JP version" promise just for this episode, and though my usual problems with that version still prevail, I really don't see what the fuss is about. It was a neat battle which ended on legitimate results. I'd rather somebody lose than have extenuating circumstances call the match off. And really, Ash is such a gentleman, even in defeat.

And you know what? Dogasu's right (no joke; this is actually something I wholeheartedly agree with him on): the franchise always was about the journey instead of the destination. That's part of why I regard the League as the worst part of all sagas: what was basically a road trip show suddenly becomes your average sports game. And personally, with the exception of the Olymipcs (which happen to be running this year at this time), sports bore me.

One more thing: the show now finally has entered an area that truly matters: the Team Flare Arc. In which they apparently want to turn Lumiose City (and possibly also Kalos itself) into the Spirit Wilds.

My questions to Ash after the match...

1.WHY U NO USE SUBSTITUTIONS? Using Pikachu for every single matchup was a bad idea. Heck, if Pikachu had used Thunderbolt two more times on Charizard, the match would have gone(100000% sure) to Ash.
Instead he tries to get all fancy....

2. Who puts a Goodra against Bisharp? Ash, YOU should have used some logic. Its what you were famous for, in this series at least! An Edward-Scissorhands speed demon with Guillotine against a slowpoke powerhouse(who has to CHARGE UP WITH BIDE... mind you). This is anime, forget stats, you know what is going to happen.

3. Why did you shrug off this loss so fast? You were so good, you had got the farthest you ever did..... and you shrug it off so fast. Everyone knows that you deserved to win.. oh well you are the God of Sportsmanship.

Man, I was stupid. Even I was expecting Ash to win, but what I failed to see was that Ash was cruising through the match. A league final is not won without some struggle, right?

Anyway, glad I was neutral. Sawyer seems to be the real hero of the league. He fought well, showed determination and some emotion(beyond Alain's stupid power,power,power rants) and seems to be progressing in his goal.

My questions to Ash after the match...

1.WHY U NO USE SUBSTITUTIONS? Using Pikachu for every single matchup was a bad idea. Heck, if Pikachu had used Thunderbolt two more times on Charizard, the match would have gone(100000% sure) to Ash.
Instead he tries to get all fancy....

No, Pikachu was only called out two times and stuck around to face Alain's ace Charizard (as Pikachu is the second strongest chance to take down the lizard).

2. Who puts a Goodra against Bisharp? Ash, YOU should have used some logic. Its what you were famous for, in this series at least! An Edward-Scissorhands speed demon with Guillotine against a slowpoke powerhouse(who has to CHARGE UP WITH BIDE... mind you). This is anime, forget stats, you know what is going to happen.

Goodra was brought to the battlefield first. Alain recalled Charizard and send in Bisharp. For Ash, bringing Greninja to deal with Bisharp this early on would likely risk his best chance of taking down Charizard in the future. Better Goodra weaken Bisharp for Greninja to defeat than have Goodra be the one to deal with Mega Charizard X.

3. Why did you shrug off this loss so fast? You were so good, you had got the farthest you ever did..... and you shrug it off so fast. Everyone knows that you deserved to win.. oh well you are the God of Sportsmanship.

Satoshi had learned something that Alan has yet to understand: What it really means to be a Pokémon Trainer. If this was Ash of the Ash-Greninja trials, he would have been too busy focusing on defeating Alain to feel the thrill and fun of Pokémon battles. By letting go of that obsession to be the strongest, Ash is able to put his mind at peace and fully mastered Ash-Greninja. That is why, unlike the other Leagues, everyone knows that Ash deserves to win the Kalos League Championship moreso than anyone else.

I'm just gonna write a fic where Ash DOES win a League for once. It'd be inconsistent with continuity, but I just want to give my childhood hero a break.

(and no, the Orange Islands don't count)
Just don't make it a massive tearjerker like one I've seen in which Pikachu dies right afterwards... :cry:

Moving away from Satoshi's loss, does anyone else agree this episode had one of the best endings (if not THE) that the anime has ever had. Seeing Miare City, Prism Tower and the stadium being wrecked by Z2's vines was really chilling to see and sets things up brilliantly for the upcoming arc.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom