• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY134: Siege of Miare Gym! Citroid Forever!!

I got to admit that Noivern and Goodra's treatment in the series and this episode hasn't been great. Feels like they hate Dragon pokemon which annoys me. Although it made since for Gyarados to be a powerhouse since Lysandre is the villain and they need to make him a powerful opponent.

Was the Malamar Xerosic was using in his battle against Clemont the same one as the evil recurring Malamar?

Was the Malamar Xerosic was using in his battle against Clemont the same one as the evil recurring Malamar?

If it was, they never explained it. Though I do see good fan fiction out of that potential scenario. Xerosic's Malamar wants to avenge Team Flare's defeat and decides to go back in time and destroy the world with its fellow co-conspirators.

Just seen Aeon's subs and actually cried a little. Clembot's memories went down with him.

Even if Clemont rebuilds him, he won't be the same...
Had to be the only way... if not then just rebuilding him wouldn't be a true sacrifice, unless they do the Gravity Falls thing (my only big complaint about the finale)... Painful regardless though

Had to be the only way... if not then just rebuilding him wouldn't be a true sacrifice, unless they do the Gravity Falls thing (my only big complaint about the finale)... Painful regardless though
Yeah. Looks more like Gravity Falls finale than a normal series. There's one question. Why is no one adding Pokemon Quiz images to episodes and Pokemon Quiz section on Bulbapedia? If the episodes air on USA in the future, there will be only Who's That Pokemon? images without quiz ones.

I was gonna point this out before, but I guess now is better than never.

Is it just me or is Mairin sort of short next to Serena? It never occurred to me that there might be a possible age gap between her and the older kids of the XY gang. Either she's short on purpose or the anime crew is low key trying to insinuate that Ash, Serena, Clemont are much older than what the mass public believe them to be.

I really loved this episode. Everything (apart from the animation), seemed really well planned and nice. The emotion the XY&Z series has conveyed is really top-notch for Pokemon, and I like the development of the characters. We grow with them and feel their emotion. All of the characters' appearances were good to see, and I love Steven's appearance. But Gyarados was OP. I think that it's more than just Mega Evolution, because that was ridiculous. Also, the Hyper Beam was dark, which suggests interference. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the treatment of the less 'special' Pokemon of Ash's. I obviously like Ash-Greninja, but I don't think that it should be the only one who is decent. I'm fine with having one slight stand-out, but I don't want them all to be extremely weak compared to it.

- Zysnake not to get turned by Puni-chan's Song, but Eureka and Papa saved only by Citron's intervention. (It would have felt so much more stark and desperate!)

I actually really liked how Squishy was taken out of its trance by the song. However, I think that the situation you suggested could have worked with Z2 instead. That would provide two different types of emotional interactions.

I was gonna point this out before, but I guess now is better than never.

Is it just me or is Mairin sort of short next to Serena? It never occurred to me that there might be a possible age gap between her and the older kids of the XY gang. Either she's short on purpose or the anime crew is low key trying to insinuate that Ash, Serena, Clemont are much older than what the mass public believe them to be.

I believe so. I think she's between Ash and Bonnie. That's what it seems like, especially due to her new trainer status and current lack of battling skill.

One thing I forgot to mention of key importance...
Gyarados has always been a beloved Pokemon of mine.
I have raised a Magikarp in every game I have ever played (except my first run of Yellow where I used only Pikachu but never mind that).
This episode
RUINED
Gyarados.
That red colour, that crappy animation revealed to me that...
Its not really a magnificent sea monster at all!
It's just a big shrimp.
:cry:

Everyone except Sawyer, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor.
Regarding the latter 3, nobodies can't just become somebodies but it's very sad that these three have infected Shouta with that curse too.
What I most liked about Eureka saving Puni-chan was that she didn't start singing the song because she thought it was the only thing to bring it back to its senses... she just started singing it because it was all she had left, because she was terrified and genuinely thought she was about to die. It was only when she saw it was having an effect that she started singing it properly.

Like I said before, considering that people were groaning at the idea that Puni-chan's song would bring it round, it was so well acted by Marisa Iye and so well animated that I forgive it because for me it was the highlight of the episode.
All of this.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually LIKE Puni-chan's Song after that episode. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! Pure magic (and I think it helped that the episode's animation budget clearly got downed in this one scene).
Even if Clemont rebuilds him, he won't be the same...
It's all a bit Wall-E isn't it? I hope Citroid doesn't somehow get its memories back though (it was different in Wall-E!), would be quite unsatisfying.
I'm sure we recently had a reconfirmation of Satoshi's age as 10 though I cannot remember on the spot what that was... I think Manon is just short.

Far out, I just watched the episode properly now and man did it hit me right in the feels; both Clemont and Bonnie's scene were really emotional. Almost started crying during the robot's 'death' scene, seeing Clemont's invention lose all its memories like that was real heartbreaking to watch with the AZ theme fitting perfectly imo. Steven(Daigo) was awesome as usual with his casual entrance(and the way he blew up TF's sheds).

The only downsides were a lack of Manon screen time(come on SHE was the one who should have taken responsibility to rescue Hari-San) as well as Alan not saying much in this episode(aside from giving commands to Charizard) which really Ash's lines could have gone to him as Alan has more of a connection to Lysandre than Ash ever did. Thankfully Ash's shonen speeches only lasted a few seconds with most of his screen time resulting in his Pokémon being decimated by Gyrados.

Despite the negatives the Clemont and Bonnie scene's were so emotional and great that it completely outweighs the downsides so I might give this one a 9-9.5/10

That'd be amazing but I didn't personally pick up even a sliver of a hint that those Malamar might be working for Xerosic, so I'd have to say no to that. If it was, then that'd be another minus for XY(Z) for the lack of development. :p

The first half was excellent. It raised the stakes and the drama even more with things like Lysandre sweeping Ash's team and Team Rocket's sacrifice. However, the second half had 2 things that prevented me from fully connecting to the situations. The first one was Squishy's song, instead of a cute moment it was a painful remainder that a mediocre ending lasted 10 months and counting, and the second one was that Clembot died because of an overload and not because of Xerosic's attack. That doesn't mean they were bad or so-so moments, they were decent endings to their plots, but could've used a little more action. I liked how Clemont used the trap anyway.

The games' fandom thinks that Kyurem launching an ice attack to the player is dark. I wonder what they would think of Mega Gyarados using Dragon Tail and Incinerate on two young boys on the top of a 90 feet tower.

I can't help but be confused about the direction the anime is going to take after this episode, considering there are 7 episodes left for XY&Z. This episode felt really close to what should be XY&Z's ending. I trust the current writers and directors, here's me hoping for decent content in the remaining episodes. So far it's been very entertaining.

I think Eureka and Citron gained great depth to their already well built characters.

I can't help but be confused about the direction the anime is going to take after this episode, considering there are 7 episodes left for XY&Z. This episode felt really close to what should be XY&Z's ending. I trust the current writers and directors, here's me hoping for decent content in the remaining episodes. So far it's been very entertaining.

I think Eureka and Citron gained great depth to their already well built characters.

We have to do the traditional next gen hype episodes after this. Actually, it might be my imagination but I think the time we will have left for next gen hype and wrap up episodes is less then we got in DPP and Black and White.

*rubbing hands together from glee overload*

Where to begin...

STEVEN STONE ♡ THE KNIGHT 'ON' SHINING ARMOR (which is a shiny mega metagross)

But srs

He just casually states his profile - that he's the strongest and the greatest - after he blows up the Team Flare storage and then goes on to sweep them? TOP SWAG

Serena battling from an unstable aircraft? That was a nice action scene :D

The Puni-chan song actually brought tears to my eyes. Damn, Bonnie's voice actress was good. And Meyer coming back to shield his daughter after getting tossed aside by Zygarde smack onto the building tugged at my heart.

RIP Citroid you will be missed.

Malva said some really relatable lines tho. It reminds me of the minor messages gen 6 delivered overall. Maxie/Archie stating that they would take responsibilities for their actions like the adults they should be, and Malva saying that as adults they should be there for when the kids need them as they change the world for the better... they really changed a lot from adults shoving all the burden onto a ten-year-old to adults sharing the responsibilities. It's a minor detail, but one that I'm impressed with.

A-are we still sure that this is the Pokémon anime?
The stakes have actually been set really high. The regional team is all that they've been built up to be and actually reflect their in-game counterparts pretty closely. And the emotional scenes actually have some effective payoff.
People are comparing this arc to the Legend of Korra finale. Freakin' Legend of Korra.

Malva saying that as adults they should be there for when the kids need them as they change the world for the better... they really changed a lot from adults shoving all the burden onto a ten-year-old to adults sharing the responsibilities. It's a minor detail, but one that I'm impressed with.
100% agree. One of the best developments to come from this arc IMO and demonstrated nicely by Pachira herself, Daigo, Limone and the TRio (... Platane and Carnet have some room for improvement...) who clearly made efforts to protect the youngsters. I'm hoping the gym leaders turning up will add to this flavour which is far more realistic than what we're accustomed to in Pokemon movies and evil team sagas.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom