• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY136: The Zygarde Counterattack! The Final Decisive Battle of Kalos!!

I love the idea of all the important characters coming together to defend Kalos in a common effort! And what I've seen so far, this episode must be just epic! Wow.

I know it's offtopic, but I can't help mentioning it: There's an observation I made that I think other Cynthia fans might be glad to hear: In this episode it took two (!) champions, all the gym leaders and several other characters to deal with one villain and one legendary. As opposed to that, Cynthia dealt with much more legendaries basically on her own (with the help of our heroes, of course). First against two (!) legendaries during the Team Galactic finale and then against the three(!) genies in Unova. I guess that simply says it all about Cynthia's strength compared to the rest :D

I love the idea of all the important characters coming together to defend Kalos in a common effort! And what I've seen so far, this episode must be just epic! Wow.

I know it's offtopic, but I can't help mentioning it: There's an observation I made that I think other Cynthia fans might be glad to hear: In this episode it took two (!) champions, all the gym leaders and several other characters to deal with one villain and one legendary. As opposed to that, Cynthia dealt with much more legendaries basically on her own (with the help of our heroes, of course). First against two (!) legendaries during the Team Galactic finale and then against the three(!) genies in Unova. I guess that simply says it all about Cynthia's strength compared to the rest :D
She truly is the Pokemon Queen. What happened here was incredibly impressive though for everyone and I want to point out that Steven Stone and Diantha did hold out the longest against the Megalith. While people like Korrina, Ramos, Viola, Grant, Wulfric, Professor Sycamore, and Malva were taken out of play during the first assault in this episode, Steven and Diantha still stood strong with their Pokemon and were never taken down.

Cynthia is an amazing character in both games and anime. This episode and arc has been the highlight of the Kalos region. Very impressed by this episode.

Damn, I'm so tempted to watch this episode...but on the other hand I want to avoid spoilers . What shall I do now? :D

Best Villainous Team Arc end EVAR:p

Wow Even with imminent death approaching Clemont still can't run:p Sucks that Serena didn't go join in on the fight. Seriously, this is the most intense and important moment coming out of the entire series, and possibly the last time for her and her Pokemon to d something relevant. Really disappointing.

I love how Ash and Alain were literally jumping across the roots to get to stone Zygarde's core to stop it. But geez Ash, cant you stop turning around everytime a gym leader gets smacked. The longer you take to get to the core, the more they get beat up. I loved the scene of Viola flying with Vivillion to attack and the ViolaXGrant moment afterwards:D. And Lol, TR got blasted. Too bad Diantha saved them. I thought that they'd make Ash the one to save Chespie, since he always has to be the hero, so I was thrilled that Alain did it mainly by himself. And wow, a happy, jumping Mega Lucario. Not what I thought its reaction would be.

I should have expected Lysandre would still be alive...but seriously how the hell was he still alive. Really, I would have like to know that. And what they hell was with the random Who's that Pokemon in this hour special? Anyway, FINALLY, Meyer's secret has been reveled. I was starting to think that it wouldn't happen. I really want to know what took so damn long for Squishy and Z2 to transform to help everybody. At least Complete Zygarde obliterated Lysandre. But why do I feel like we'll see him alive in the next episode?

I love that Bonnie and Squishy had their moment together before he left. But was he able to speak to her telepathically this entire time? Eh, I guess it's better than if he would have left without saying anything at all. I'm surprised that I'm actually going to miss Squishy. He may not have done much, but I loved his interactions with Bonnie.

Well, let's see what happens next. 9.5/10.

I'm gonna say it now... this has been the best arc the show has ever done. This is, quite simply, a movie in TV episode form and to be honest it beats all the XY movies hands down in terms of action and drama. This episode gave me everything I could have wanted from the finale (with the exception of Serena doing nothing, which was my only sore point). Well done show, thanks for a great couple of months.

Speaking of Serena, after the last couple of episodes I'm starting to think Manon is going to end up travelling with her.

Speaking of Serena, after the last couple of episodes I'm starting to think Manon is going to end up travelling with her.
I don't think that Monon is going to travel with Serena since Serena is going to Palemero to get tutored. Manon will continue being with Alain. If Manon does go with Serena, she'll be pretty bored.

Still can't forgive the league for getting glossed over... but this was indeed a spectacular Team Flare finale

I don't believe Lysandre is dead, but he deserved it. This was really great, all gym leaders fighting together with the metalith Zygarde and Zygrade Complete Forme is the only one who saved the world! Well, at least the title card segment features Ash in both episode in this 1-houe special, so why isn't in both pages yet? Very curious. Can anyone share a new ship for Viola and Grant? I think this was just adorable. 10/10 I'm giving for this great episode! This was the best acr ever since DP.

This....was.....AMAZING!!! This whole specieal had me on the edge the whole time, and I loved every single minute of it. This was a truly satisfactory climax, and I don't think any other story arc is gonna top this. I may be surprised if I find one that does, but this was just too incredible. Cannot put into words, you must see it to believe it! 10/10!!

When the dub of this arc comes out, I'll be feeling the excitement everyone else here did. As it is now, it was okay-ish, but its problems held it back. Misused music for the nth time, and Yuki Kaji's absolutely pathetic performance as Squishy ruined the goodbye scene completely. Really finding it hard to believe it's the same man who gave a great performance as Clemont in last week's episode, let alone that it's the same man who won an award for his work in Attack on Titan. But then again, I've seen talented people reduce themselves to pitiful roles before (Dom DeLuise playing Christopher Columbus in The Magic Voyage's dreadful English dub comes to mind).

I know I'll sound a bit psychopathic for saying this, but I'm glad to see this show grow the nerve to kill a villain off.

As a whole, this was the best Team arc so far for me, although I still have plenty of issues with it that I'm not going to get into.

Seeing the Gym leaders come to the rescue was soo satisfying. Glad to finally see them having a part to play in defending their region. Which is funny because the XY games were a step down in that department compared to Black and White. Seeing them carve a path for Ash and Alain, even though they were taken out of the game pretty early.

I'm pretty sure the scenes with Steven and Diantha built a new ship, or cemented it if it already exists, especially when they were literally back-to-back. :p Still not sure why Stevan was needed, though. I mean, yeah, sure, ORAS were Gen 6 games but still.

Edit: Even now until the end, Perfect Zygarde still looks like a Megazord to me
That's really the main reason I never liked Perfect Zygarde. People have always compared Pokemon (the creatures themselves) to Digimon and I'll always find it silly, but no Z isn't a Pokemon it's a freaking Gundam.

Seeing the Gym leaders come to the rescue was soo satisfying. Glad to finally see them having a part to play in defending their region. Which is funny because the XY games were a step down in that department compared to Black and White. Seeing them carve a path for Ash and Alain, even though they were taken out of the game pretty early.
The thing about the Gym Leaders that makes this much better is that BW was a failed opportunity with them. In the Team Plasma climax, in the games, all of them but the Striation Triplets joined in to hold off the sages, so you could confront N. In Episode N, the only gym leader there was Cilan. They missed a huge chance, but here, even though they did not play a role in the Team Flare climax in the games, the writers used them to their full advantage. The Gym Leaders and Diantha all mattered here. None of this would have been possible if it weren't for them carving a path for Ash and Alain. They were used here to the fullest potential and its what I really loved about them all being involved.

This episode was actually fantastic, I cant say much about it but I was really; really into it. Eureka cheering on 'Squishy', and then their goodbye. The fact that everyone came together and made such a good set of scenes together.

I think I might be gay for Steven Stone apparently.

Serena didn't join the fight because asked her to stay and protect Bonnie and Manon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom