• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY137: Starting from Zero! Citron's Decision!!

So here's some random thoughts RE: the episode.

- It's been quite some time since the end of the last episode as Miare City has been almost completely rebuilt.
- Looks like we're sticking around in Miare City until Satoshi can get back to Kanto,
- Alan was going through a lot of guilt this episode after what happened with Team Flare, and I just imagined a lot of still bitter viewers revelling in the fact he was miserable.
- Team Rocket were commended by Sakaki for their role in bringing down Team Flare, so that's them not fired for another saga. Naturally, they decide to celebrate by stealing Pikachu.
- I liked that Eureka is still feeling miserable over Puni-chan leaving, since its more believable than her just getting over it.
- Looks like Alan is going to be remaining with Platene and going back to being his assistant for the time being.
- Alan's Lizardon is no longer wearing its Mega Stone while Alan is also missing his Key Stone. I'm guessing he decided to get rid of it considering where it came from.
- Team Rocket decide to dispel any belief they may be turning good by wrecking Platene's lab again. Of course, they quickly realise their mistake in taking on the Kalos League Champion and runner-up.
- Time for the Gym Battle. First is Coil vs Viviyon, and it's complete bull to be honest... Coil is quickly knocked out with a single Energy Ball (although I think it used Quiver Dance before firing). Also, ANOTHER Meadow Pattern Viviyon - look, I know we got an episode with a ton of different patterns, but we could have used a bit of variety since then.
- Next is Rarecoil vs Viviyon, and the butterfly is quickly knocked out with a Rain Dance Thunder combo. Then Alba sends out a female Kaenjishi which is also knocked out (we don't see much of this battle). Finally, it's Karakara up. It quickly knocks out Rarecoil with Bone Club then Elezard goes down too against Bone Rush. Alba gets the badge.
- Back at the lab, Platene gives everyone and their Pokemon (well, those Pokemon that participated in the battle against Team Flare) medals... which really disappointed me. I was expecting them to get them in a ceremony like at the end of the games. Also, Numelgon is still around, when I'd expected a brief shot (or at least a mention) of him being sent back to the Wetlands by now. Still, at least he's got something good out of his visit over all the times he's been knocked out.
- The episode ends with a ceremony to celebrate Miare City's restoration. As everyone watches, Serena remembers Yashio's offer and is considering it.

A very transition-y episode. Sad to say, as expected, Citron barely gets focus even in his own focus episode. I guess they've gotta tie all the loose ends up somehow though.

I'm glad old Citroid stayed "dead", and Citron's low key sadness in that regard was really nice. I really feel he is one of the most 3-dimensional companions Satoshi has ever had the pleasure of travelling with. From that POV I enjoyed what little we saw of the gym battle and I also thought Alba was super cute - harking back to Kanto Satoshi!! Getta Ban Ban was way too loud though and I could barely make out what moves Citroid/Alba were ordering whilst it was playing.

Good that Alan is staying at the lab, that was the right ending for him. Seeing him next to Satoshi in the greenhouse further served to show how much older he is than the rest of the cast. Hopefully he'll grow out of his post-pubertal moodiness but thankfully we don't have to stick around and find out. Wonder how they'll dispose of Manon? Hopefully she won't develop a taste for tripokalons next episode...

I know it's been an awfully long time since we last heard it, but I'm sure the music playing during the motto wasn't the Rocket XY motto music?... Anyone know what it was? P.S. I was so happy to see Maaiika eating croissants again but how come Pumpjin is the only one who doesn't get to eat when they indulge in viennoiserie?!

I'm a little burnt out with XYZ now so my fave moment in the episode was when Satoshi just came out with it and said he was going back home to start from zero :p

Interesting twist, and answers the question I had in my mind. This wasn't just about Clemont, it was Alain, too. No, Alain, you do not deserve our forgiveness, but I will agree you do deserve a second chance. At least he has given up his Mega Ring and the Mega Stone.

I am curious about what is being said, but it probably is of little consequence.

EDIT: Oh, so they're just being direct about it this time. Still expected.

Last edited:
Interesting twist, and answers the question I had in my mind. This wasn't just about Clemont, it was Alain, too. No, Alain, you do not deserve our forgiveness, but I will agree you do deserve a second chance. At least he has given up his Mega Ring and the Mega Stone.

I am curious about what is being said, but it probably is of little consequence.

EDIT: Oh, so they're just being direct about it this time. Still expected.

Direct about it? What do you mean?

Well, I was mistaken about that. We have had this situation before, where he just goes back home for the sake of it. In fact, it's happened in all of the other sagas, so yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.

This is a really nice epilouge to the Team Fare arc, and also a nice setup for the group departure. I also liked how Alain is leaving his past behind him, he definitely has the most character development out of anyone in the XY series. Despite my issues with the league and Team Flare arc, I did enjoy most of the XY series, and will definitely make the best of these last few episodes. Can't wait to see how everything is wrapped up!

Why is Clemont still trying to have Clembot do Gym battles if he's no longer travelling?
The boy that visited the gym said that he battled Clembot before, but he would refuse to fight Clemont instead because he wanted to rematch Clembot instead. That's why Clembot fought in this episode. As for long term, I'm not sure.

Why is Clemont still trying to have Clembot do Gym battles if he's no longer travelling?
Clemont initially didn't create Clembot because he wanted to travel but because he wanted to spend more time on inventing instead of having to fulfill Gym Leader duties all the time. It's pretty obvious to me that's what Clemont still wants to do.

This was a nice episode, but I would have preferred more focus on Clemont and Clembot instead of Alain and and the others.

The battle against the kid was decent, but I wish it would have been longer. Again, really wish that the Alain stuff had happened at another time. But I suppose it was interesting to see how he was taking everything with Team Flare being defeated. I was surprised to see that he and Charizard no longer had their mega equipment. And overall it was nice to see Clembot readjusting to being a gym leader.

I like that Sycamore actually gave the gang and their Pokémon medals similarly to the post league parade in the games. Though I truly don't see why on earth Mairin and Chespie got one, but whatever.

I'll give this a 6.5/10. More Clemont focus would have been much appreciated.

This was actually a pretty good episode. I like how it showed the aftermath of the Team Flare incident, with everyone in Lumiose City rebuilding after the attack. Seeing everyone in the Lumiose Gym as well was really nice. Thankfully also, Clembot did not keep his past memories. What is Clemont going to do now though?

As for the party, it was a very nice touch for this episode! I really love how Marrin went through the effort to have this party. Also, its interesting to see that Alain no longer has his Key Stone. It was nice symbolism to show him moving on from his past mistakes with Team Flare. Not sure what his monologues were though. Also it makes sense for him to return to working with Professor Sycamore. Thankfully we'll be rid of him soon.

Speaking of Professor Sycamore, it was so nice that he gave everyone medals, just like you get at the end of the games. I love that shot of the whole group. I especially loved seeing Chespie and Clemont's Chespin together in that photo.

Also, the battle Alba had with Clembot was pretty decent, though I wish it got a little more screen time.

Overall, it was a pretty good episode, so I'd give it a 7.5/10. What happened with Team Rocket though? Giovanni sure made them happy, but what did he tell them?

Glad to see that some of Clemont's gym pokemon revealed some moves. Pretty good episode. 8/10.

The highlight for me was quite simply getting to see how inept Manon was at putting together Alain's party.

So those medals can be handed out like candy... does that mean I can be the hero of Kalos?

Was their any mention Alain was going to face the elite four? Well, Malvas been punished so shes probably lost her position at the least.....so what happens now?

Was their any mention Alain was going to face the elite four? Well, Malvas been punished so shes probably lost her position at the least.....so what happens now?
I watched the subs and Alain says he has absolutely no idea what he's going to do right now, though Professor Sycamore offered him a chance to work with him again and he accepted. No mentions of challenging them.

I watched the subs and Alain says he has absolutely no idea what he's going to do right now, though Professor Sycamore offered him a chance to work with him again and he accepted. No mentions of challenging them.

Only google translate subs exist of the episode so far, I wouldn't use that as a reference as it could spread misinformation to others.

Anyhow, the episode was fine, but like others said, the battle needed to be a bit longer, or they should've just focused on the fight between Helioptile and Marowak and skip the rest. Now we pretty much got three one hit KO fights which was not very satisfying.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom