• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY138: The Last Battle with Satoshi! Serena's Choice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually gonna miss Serena. She was actually fine as a character, her moments with Ash where short, sporadic, but adorable nonetheless. Plus she made one heck of a last performance.

My burning hatred for Pokémon Showcases put aside, I am actually happy to see that the writers are going to show one more performance, even if I have to endure Shauna doing her Fairy Wind routine for the umpteenth time and deal with the fact that her Ivysaur is never evolving to its final form (when even Trevor the Terrible Trainer managed to evolve his starter all the way because somehow taking pictures of the Legendary birds means experience, oh well).

What makes me look forward to this episode is that we're getting a performance with more than three Pokémon for the first time. The writers established in the very first Showcase that Performers are allowed to perform with a full team, but we never got to experience that, so it's nice that a "full performance" (kinda) is on our way. Besides that, I'm glad Shauna is appearing again, she was the best out of Serena's rivals (as if that meant much lol) and it's cool that she's getting a farewell episode rather than simply disappearing.

One thing that bothers me is that Serena is battling Ash to "make up her mind" about her future as a Performer, like if a BATTLE out of all things is going to help Serena, who has like three battles listed in her CV (vs. Aria, vs. Woodward, vs. Miette and James), two of them interrupted (hahaha). Serena is not a battler and Ash barely had any involvement in her Showcase campaign so seeing them battling each other for the first time after an entire series is really weird to me. Better late than never I guess? That just goes to show what a mess the XY group really was.

Fingers crossed for Braixen's Evolution happening here. I don't care if it mirrors May's Combusken evolving into Blaziken. Oh, Ash should really be using a Pokémon other than Pikachu here (but we should be thankful is not Greninja so I'm not going to complain too much).

But not everybody hates them.
Not everybody loves the Team Flare arc... Your point?

No! Serena please don't go! The show won't be the same without you! But you are going to leave anyway..

Went from Ash meeting a girl at Summer Camp, to a reunion in Kalos.. to a past that will be forgotten. I don't want to forget about that!

No! Serena please don't go! The show won't be the same without you! But you are going to leave anyway..

Went from Ash meeting a girl at Summer Camp, to a reunion in Kalos.. to a past that will be forgotten. I don't want to forget about that!

The show will live on. People are still gonna be suckered in and continue to watch this show, no matter who Ash gets paired up with. I knew she was leaving anyway, but I'm hoping for a satisfying goodbye to her

and deal with the fact that her Ivysaur is never evolving to its final form

Probably because seeing a Venusaur in a Pokemon Showcase situation would look awkward with how big Venusaur is.

(when even Trevor the Terrible Trainer managed to evolve his starter all the way because somehow taking pictures of the Legendary birds means experience, oh well).

Except Trevor did battle and Charizard has shown a great desire to fight, which is probably led to all of the battles it had and offscreen battles are still battles.

One thing that bothers me is that Serena is battling Ash to "make up her mind" about her future as a Performer, like if a BATTLE out of all things is going to help Serena, who has like three battles listed in her CV (vs. Aria, vs. Woodward, vs. Miette and James), two of them interrupted (hahaha).

Serena is not a battler and Ash barely had any involvement in her Showcase campaign so seeing them battling each other for the first time after an entire series is really weird to me. Better late than never I guess?

Ah, how wouldn't a battle help her? Pokemon Showcases's like Contests are similar to Pokemon battles anyway, by the simple fact that all require using moves creatively in order to achieve a goal, wether its defeating another Pokemon or making the moves look appealing to an audience. And Serena has had heaps of battles, just not a lot of official one on one battles, but battles nonetheless, especially against Team Rocket.

That just goes to show what a mess the XY group really was.

What? I don't see how they're a mess in the slightest.

Oh, Ash should really be using a Pokémon other than Pikachu here.
Probably because they're both each others main Pokemon and this is their goodbye episode to each other.

Not everybody loves the Team Flare arc... Your point?

My point? Well, I said my point, not everyone hates Pokemon Showcases, just like not everyone likes the Team Flare arc, and I know that, that's all.

And this was when the fandom learned shipping in this series is nothing more then fanbait....

Good thing I learned that lesson back in Diamond and Pearl, which had far less indication of happening...

Last edited:
But still it just seems so anticlimactic to me.
Maybe, and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I just don't think this is a filler. On the bright side, you could end up liking this after it airs. I mean, we don't have a whole load of informaiton on the episode yet.

Maybe, and I'm sorry you feel that way, but I just don't think this is a filler. On the bright side, you could end up liking this after it airs. I mean, we don't have a whole load of informaiton on the episode yet.

True, I guess I won't know until I watch it then.

I am really hoping that the conclusion between Ash and Serena is a satisfactory one. They don't need to say anything gushy, but just make sure that the two do care about one another and one that would hit more home than when Misty left.

Yes, I am so sappy. Deal with it.

Was it undoubtedly confirmed in anyway that this is Serena's final episode? I have to know!

No goodbye will ever hit the emotional feels like Misty's goodbye did, not even Serena's. Oh I am sure it will be sad and I will miss her but it won't have the same impact in my opinion. I like Serena's character individually and she has a nice friendship with Ash but (and this is only my opinion, but I am sure I'm not the only one who has seen it) it's just not that deep like people make it out to be. however I do believe that she will get a very nice send off and I hope all the fans are not disappointed. that is my hope. :D

Also we don't really know if this is her final episode. she could just be coming to her decision and who knows maybe they'll give us a group send off for Ash in another episode, you never know. :cool:

Probably because seeing a Venusaur in a Pokemon Showcase situation would look awkward with how big Venusaur is.

Another one of my problems with Pokémon Showcases.

Except Trevor did battle and Charizard has shown a great desire to fight, which is probably led to all of the battles it had and offscreen battles are still battles.

I won't discuss things that you are assuming to have happened off-screen. I don't remember Trevor ever saying he and his Charmander spent hours on end training just so the little Fire-type Pokémon could eventually evolve into a Charizard (but I've been ignoring most of Trevor's appearances so I could be wrong here). What I know about Trevor is that he is more concerned with taking pictures than anything else. Just compare him to his friend Tierno. Also, Shauna seems much more dedicated to Showcases than Trevor to battles. You can have your headcanons and say that Charizard has had countless battles off-screen. I'll stick to what I know really happened.

Ah, how wouldn't a battle help her? Pokemon Showcases's like Contests are similar to Pokemon battles anyway, by the simple fact that all require using moves creatively in order to achieve a goal, wether its defeating another Pokemon or making the moves look appealing to an audience. And Serena has had heaps of battles, just not a lot of official one on one battles, but battles nonetheless, especially against Team Rocket.

Your argument is incredibly weak. Pokémon have used their moves to perform a multitude of tasks in the anime. We've seen Pokémon watering plants with their moves. How are watering plants and battles related? Yes, Pokémon use moves in Showcases. No, that does not make Showcases similar to battles.

I find it weird that a battle is going to help Serena somehow decide her future when she spent most of the series not battling. Shauna aka the girl who introduced Serena to the world of Showcases is here, Serena can call Palermo any time and accept the offer to train to become the next Kalos Queen, but what's going to make Serena realize what she wants to do is a battle with Ash. Like really? Oh, and I just have to say it is really a sad day when you have to mention battles against Team Rocket to make a case for Serena being a battler. Really really sad.

What? I don't see how they're a mess in the slightest.

Good for you. Not seeing the terrible mistakes the writers made with this group allows you to enjoy the series a lot more I suppose. I, however, can see how Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie fail as a group. I could write one looooong post about it, but for now I am going to focus on Serena and how her friends had nothing do with her goal.

I won't say that Ash didn't inspire Serena, because he obviously did. Ash's willpower, his attitude towards disappointing results, how he is always saying that nothing is a waste of time because every shit Trainers do on their journey is helpful in the end... All of Ash's personality traits have helped Serena over the course of the series. Ash has been a good role model for her.

Aside from that, Ash has done nothing for Serena's career as a Pokémon Performer and that's sad because they've been together 24/7 for a long time now. You would think they would have affected each other's lives a lot more. I mean, I can use the struggles of an athlete at the Paralympics to inspire me, I can look back and see everything Britney Spears went through and how she is so over it and so much better now to motivate me, but I have no real relationship with them. If a person is right here by my side all the freaking time I expect them to be more than a role model inspiring me to do better. I expect them to be a lot more involved in my life.

A lot of people complain about the group in the Diamond & Pearl series, but I can easily see how they affected each other's journeys. Ash and Dawn were always training together. Ash implemented Dawn's spinning dodge technique into his battles, he used the way Dawn dealt with Lila's sleep-inducing skills to come up with the Counter Shield, he learned from Dawn and benefited from having her around. Likewise, Dawn also learned from Ash. The whole Mamoswine eating its own Ice Shard to gain an ice armor came from Ash's Grotle. Her Pachirisu had problems to control its Electric-type moves and Pikachu helped him with that. Brock also helped Dawn, and she was able to regain Mamoswine's trust thanks in part to the first aid techniques Brock taught her. Brock, after witnessing all the great things Ash and Dawn had accomplished in Sinnoh, decided it was time for him to step up his game and become a Pokémon Doctor. They all had a role to play.

In the XY series, what can you say about the group? Yes, it's lovely that Serena and Bonnie act like sisters, it's adorable and cute. And what more? Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie have no real interference in each other's lives. When Serena was crying at that pier and cutting her hair, she was by herself. Her friends weren't there to support her. I don't remember Serena ever asking for input when coming up with her dance routines, something Nini asked complete strangers to do back in her debut episode. Serena never took a page from Ash's Gym battles, and Ash couldn't exactly implement baking Poké Puffs against Gym Leaders. The only way Serena's friends participated in her goal was raising the Glow Caster to cast a vote for her. It's that sad.

Here's a picture showing May and Dawn's support systems:
PU0-cERUohMNlL3SHVgLhGJMt_qO4pxMoBcsBnBBVaN2mCyAVhFDoG_lualBWeN4uzvlcaXT7-zenNoZWaRjES0_HCqGBxMfJpQ6WlVlheDvHmGVNpKKo5t9G40NnHVADD8SvMk_HiQcKA8jXmLX9Cx2-v2wt2NDTNgX42m3_oIcbzIQPuLPM-OEmtgfff_BEaoG4Yn3XJBIi_4_Jw_uxYAH87rvKmepUgAGgz1f68ksGCFPIBHYCVJH5qHBLgET9zD0W0-8yAsSO8DHG_W28_NYB1GuIU334SQGeOLtrhBl2UWCRdl6vdkCkNvzY2RbiKqF-knN1lxRaJ-QjGmDJklln2cnWMSBnhZGm7Ju1AbHyYzUvlop9XkLHHtl8ALHqUkPSjnzybR2C1iGl7DSNpXskbT5pi8yk3q5_OVwHdAfMUNmOoVWEML2q5TyvDNlTKPtjbRDUK66isr8YAxi6_R6SLShz_CPjpVUrLnizII2Oaip_C0L5oH33U6ziEL1P7nwUH8GBB0mPW1MBOiVtNtWBxcoVU3YQt-JGooCzdns-l2wsy3CWbowDbx0Qy3XSxFshjOT_4ykKV0lgFzNA-T2ciWdIBwGzlMW7ZIelE0s6CGh=w593-h308-no

The one on the left was taken from Channeling the Battle Zone! after May lost her battle against Solidad in the Kanto Grand Festival. The one on the right was taken from A Grand Fight for Winning! after Dawn lost her battle against Zoey in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. I find this very symbolic. Their friends were there for them. They were waiting for May and Dawn. To comfort in May's case, to congratulate in Dawn's case. No matter what the reason, they were there. As friends. Serena lost against Aria and she went to a room where she talked to Palermo, a stranger to her. And I was full of hope when her mother appeared by the door, but Grace didn't enter the room and I was like "whaaaaaat?"

I feel like Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie have been together for so long yet they are strangers still. They eat breakfast together, but that's it. I might be exaggerating (I know Clemont built a device to help Ash with Greninja) but I don't see any meaningful interaction between them. They traveled a whole region together, I expected more.

Probably because they're both each others main Pokemon and this is their goodbye episode to each other.

Yes, that should be the reason. I remember how Dawn used her Piplup against Ash's Pikachu when she said goodbye to Ash in Goodbye, Junior Cup - Hello Adventure!. Oh wait, she used Quilava.

My point? Well, I said my point, not everyone hates Pokemon Showcases, just like not everyone likes the Team Flare arc, and I know that, that's all.

What?

• Lysandre-Fan said we should express our love for the XY series because it gave us the Team Flare arc.
  • L-05308 argued that it also gave us the really terrible Showcase arc.
  • You said not everyone hates Showcases, as if to validate Lysandre-Fan's statement.
  • I said not everyone loves the Team Flare arc, countering both you and Lysandre-Fan while also agreeing with what L-05308 had said.

That's it. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions. I thought you were also saying we should be thankful that we got the Team Flare arc, my bad.

It's sad that Serena is going, but I already know that it's going to happen eventually ever since the final showcase episode. In my head cannon, Ash and Serena will meet each other in distant future.

I never caught on to the Serena appeal that many Amourshippers did... outside of her cheap as dirt loses, it seemed like she was incapable of doing anything wrong in the viewers and anime's eyes. I'm still pissed that she tried to compare her Showcase loses to Ash's string of defeats with Greninja. They were nothing alike and it wouldn't matter if she's a good listener, she wouldn't have been able to help him. But everyone wanted Ash to apologize for being human and got pissed that Serena was the one to give an apology.

Not sure what I've feel about this episode, hope the battle is good but I sure won't be happy if Pikachu loses to Braxien

My guess: The battle between Serena and Ash is not for her to decide and affirm her mindset to continue as a Performer. Rather, it is for her to "give up" on Ash, let herself understand that this boy will never staying with her, where she can finally walk away from him convincingly and become independent.

I know I've been waiting for this episode for so long, but now that it's here:cry:

I'm surprised people is surprised she is leaving. Ever since the end of the first series when Brock went to stay with Professor Ivy, Ash has been dropping companions, in the last 2 instances (going to Unova, and going to Kalos) he has ditched all companions and Pokemon apart from Pikachu.

I'm sorry AmourShippers but Ash will be forever alone.

I'm surprised people is surprised she is leaving. Ever since the end of the first series when Brock went to stay with Professor Ivy, Ash has been dropping companions, in the last 2 instances (going to Unova, and going to Kalos) he has ditched all companions and Pokemon apart from Pikachu.

I'm sorry AmourShippers but Ash will be forever alone.

I love Serena, but anyone who expected her to stick around has (at this point obviously) misled themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom