• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY139: Farewell, Satoshi Gekkouga! Xerosicy's Counterattack!!

There could still be a chance that Greninja will return with Ash once the order in Kalos is fully restored. Who knows, he could use his bond to find Ash in Alola. After all, Greninja is a Water-type, so it shouldn't have issues reaching an archipelago, right?
How can Greninja be able to reach the Aloha region when It's on the other side of the planet from Kalos? Greninja doesn't know that Ash is going to Alola.

How can Greninja be able to reach the Aloha region when It's on the other side of the planet from Kalos? Greninja doesn't know that Ash is going to Alola.

Greninja may not know, but Zygarde may locate him, just like it did during the Snowbelle arc. And if it may seem Fartfetch'd that Zygarde can locate Ash that far, keep in mind that Zygarde collected the cells from all around the world during the Team Flare saga, so there is a good chance that the Legendary can locate Ash with the cells present in the islands.

Besides, considering that both Zygarde and Ash-Greninja appear in Sun/Moon, it would make sense to have an event in-anime connected to them.

You guys, check out what Rika Matsumoto posted on her Twitter feed earlier today:

In the scene where Satoshi parts ways with Satoshi-Gekkouga I put my memories of Haro, my beloved pet dog who was by my side for twelve and a half years, and put them into my performance of Satoshi's lines. Actually, the day I recorded all this was three days after Haro left me to go to Heaven and I had a lot of feelings swelling around inside me at the time. I'd be happy if what Satoshi felt resonated with audience in a real way..."Thank you, Gekkouga. See you again..."

So this is why I felt so emotional whilst watching that scene!! Wonderful woman...

Don't understand all the complaints about this episode. XY is over. Greninja's time is over. Instead of the regular, boring dumping of Greninja at Oak's place, it's instead released with a tie-in plot to Team Flare. It's released with a purpose. How is that a bad thing? And if the writers want to bring Greninja back in the future, they will bring it back. It won''t matter if it's at Oak's ranch or in the forests of Kalos; it will be brought back regardless.

Don't understand all the complaints about this episode. XY is over. Greninja's time is over. Instead of the regular, boring dumping of Greninja at Oak's place, it's instead released with a tie-in plot to Team Flare. It's released with a purpose. How is that a bad thing? And if the writers want to bring Greninja back in the future, they will bring it back. It won''t matter if it's at Oak's ranch or in the forests of Kalos; it will be brought back regardless.
As I said before, the complaints are most likely from people who don't like how Greninja is released after everything it and Ash have been through. I'll admit, I didn't like it either, but...there's nothing to do about it, so all one can do is to get over it.

Last edited:
It's obviously a bad thing lol. If Greninja was Oak'd, it'd still remains under Ash's ownership. As it has been released, it isn't anymore under Ash's ownership. Even if it was left under someone's care like Goodra was with Keanan, it would still be a Pokemon that Ash can call back anytime. But Greninja has left with Zygarde for the sake of protecting Kalos, so it's very unlikely that it'll ever come back. And the release is pointless because of the fact that Ash has a strong bond with Greninja. Releasing a Pokemon that has a strong bond with you is meaningless. And why is it released? To help Zygarde in protecting Kalos who is more than strong enough to protect Kalos itself.

Last edited:
It's obviously a bad thing lol. If Greninja was Oak'd, it'd still remains under Ash's ownership. As it has been released, it isn't anymore under Ash's ownership. Even if it was left under someone's care like Goodra was with Keanan, it would still be a Pokemon that Ash can call back anytime. But Greninja has left with Zygarde for the sake of protecting Kalos, so it's very unlikely that it's ever come back. And the release is pointless because of the fact that Ash has a strong bond with Greninja. Releasing a Pokemon that has a strong bond with you is meaningless. And why is it released? To help Zygarde in protecting Kalos who is more than strong enough to protect Kalos itself.
Having watched the subbed version, I understand it a little more now. Zygarde is going around Kalos to get rid of the last remaining vines created by Team Flare. However, even they can't sense exactly where those are, something that, for some reason, Ash-Greninja can.

The TRio scene subbed is so cute. Wonder if they'll put their little video on Instagram, aww, idiots.

Having watched the subbed version, I understand it a little more now. Zygarde is going around Kalos to get rid of the last remaining vines created by Team Flare. However, even they can't sense exactly where those are, something that, for some reason, Ash-Greninja can.
Some silly reason to make Greninja a hero is basically all that means... I'm okay with it, but the reasoning is still quite comical

My problem with Zygarde needing Greninja to get rid of the last remaining vines is this. At the end of the Team Flare arc, Perfect Zygarde sent out a green healing pulse across Kalos, that not only returned the sky to its blue hue, but removed the vines. Unless these are ENTIERLY new vines, they should not have been there if that pulse removed them all. If so, then they could easily have removed all these vines alone.

Its not just the vines, but the negative energy resulting from the event that's creating he vines that is the problem, and that is the energy Greninja can see.

I thought the farewell made a lot of sense, and they set up the distant-Ash-Greninja by showing Greninja operating separate from Ash. And then some of Ash's lines at the end, "This is a bond that cannot be severed," ect, suggest Greninja will be able to access bond form because their bond has become deep enough not even distance can break it. I'm also pretty positive we'll see Greninja again. This farewell scene definitely gave me the feels.

E
My problem with Zygarde needing Greninja to get rid of the last remaining vines is this. At the end of the Team Flare arc, Perfect Zygarde sent out a green healing pulse across Kalos, that not only returned the sky to its blue hue, but removed the vines. Unless these are ENTIERLY new vines, they should not have been there if that pulse removed them all. If so, then they could easily have removed all these vines alone.
Exactly. The writers just wanted to make a nonsense reason for releasing Greninja, that's it!

If they are going to release Ash's water starters then he shouldn't get them at all. What doesn't make sense is that Ash caught about 9 pokemon in Unova but never released any of the pokemon. Plus Charizard returned which took his number of pokemon in region up to ten or eleven.

However in Kalos, Ash caught only 6 pokemon. He caught Goomy as his fifth, fully evolved and then released even though he had room for one more pokemon. Now in this episode, he sends Goodra back to the swamp and releases Greninja all in one episode. Basically, he now has only 3 Kalos pokemon in his possession. That is 4 pokemon in his current team. That is the shortest team I have ever known Ash to have in the region.

I still think the lack of build-up in Gekkouga's departing was frustrating. I have no trouble with him leaving, it just felt forced and out of the blue. (Just hope he doesn't end up being a robot and then sliced in half afterwards)

Now as for him returning, yeah I believe he could. In a special episode perhaps, or a two-parter. However if Satoshi is dumbed down in SM as it appears in the trailers, I'd hope for Gekkouga not returning...

You guys, check out what Rika Matsumoto posted on her Twitter feed earlier today:
b4e.jpg

Well, I just finished watching this episode for the second time. I'm not sure if I can properly articulate what I'm feeling right now, but I certainly will try.

Although I'm sad to see Goodra go, I kind of always had the feeling that Goodra was going to be one of those Pokes that Ash gets every once in a while that he's just not destined to keep forever. So I'm okay with Goodra going back to the wetlands to its other PokéFriends that it helps to keep watch over. I do feel, though, that it's possible that if Ash had actually asked Goodra in the form of an outright question, it might have opted to come back to Kanto with him. Or maybe not. I guess we'll never know. Still, I'm okay with knowing exactly where it is should Ash ever want to reclaim it.

As for Greninja.... I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that it was Ash who felt the red vines creeping under the ground first, and then I suppose that feeling touched Gre, which is why it popped out of its Pokeball. I'm going to backtrack for a moment here and say that since the first inception of this Bond Phenomenon power, I have often wondered if perhaps the writers were trying to recapture a little of the latent Aura Guardian power that manifested in Ash in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew late into the AG saga. I know that power got nerfed in DP and was basically relegated to equating to a clairvoyant power that he felt, which was shown to us in the Riolu arc.

But here, I feel as though I am seeing something along similar lines with the Bond Phenomenon having reached its full potential. And that it has now, finally, morphed into an actual telepathic connection between Ash & Gre. It was a pretty wondrous thing to see Ash be able to follow Gre's movement, and direct it in its attacks, through their connection even though Gre was far ahead of Ash.

I understood the explanation that Zygarde & Squishy were giving to Ash & Co which expanded on the comment that Bonnie made earlier how she thought that Zy & Squishy had destroyed the vines. So it was only the surface vines that they destroyed, but the negative energy had apparently bored deeper into the earth than they had originally thought, and now those vines are finding their way back up to the surface. So Gre, for whatever reason, seems to be able to sense these vines. I suspect that this ability in Gre may be a direct result of the power which he receives from and shares with Ash.

So that brings us to Ash's soliloquy. My own feeling is that Ash's handling of the matter was valid, considering the circumstances. And I really felt that Ash gave as good an explanation as he could considering the situation he felt that he & Gre were in. He basically acknowledges that it could very well have been no coincidence that he & Gre found their way into each other's lives. And that it was Ash who was the trainer that was needed to see Gre through all of its growth up to this point where they now found themselves. It was Gre who made the choice to have Ash as its trainer, and Ash giving Gre the leeway to make its own decision, as to whether to stay or go, I feel is a reflection of that first choice that Gre made. I am glad that Ash handled it in this way, instead of him just making an arbitrary decision to tell Gre to go without allowing Gre to give voice to its own feelings.

The wording of the dialogue in Ash's soliloquy was pretty specific, I thought, and I have to wonder if it was a conscience choice on the part of the writers to have him point out that nothing could separate the connection between them and their bond had now become that which could not be torn asunder. I feel that this potentially leaves the door open for Ash to be able to call Gre back to his side, if the SuMo writers would want to go that route in the new anime. The reunion would not be a hard one to achieve based on what Ash himself said. He could simply call to Gre through their telepathic connection and tell him he would like him to step aside from his guardianship duties for awhile because he either wants or needs him to come to Alola. It would be a simple matter of telling Gre to go to Sycamore's lab. Ash would call Sycamore and make him aware of the situation and that he wants Gre transferred to Kukui's or Cousin Oak's lab to be retrieved.

You know, when the final evolutions for the Kalos starters were revealed back when, I absolutely hated Greninja. I thought it was hideous with that ridiculous tongue scarf wrapped around its neck. So for me to be sitting here, feeling this level of emotion over Gre leaving Ash, says something about the tremendous writing that has been done with Ash & Gre's storyline over the past few years. Gre, I will actually miss you, and I hope I am given the opportunity to see you visit awhile in Alola.

~Over and out~

Last edited:

Despite the controversy of this episode, I did notice how Rika Matsumoto did a really exceptional job with that scene while watching. To be honest, at the time I was thinking something like, "Wow, she sounds almost too good for a scene made up on the fly to get rid of Greninja." Seeing this, it makes a LOT more sense to me now. Not that I doubted her acting skills since we all know by now how great she is but it felt so genuine.

they wanted to make end of fan discussion why he should always use Greninja, take to Alola becuse its a so strong and fast pokemon, plus Battle Bond needs perfection in games for next generations. And imagine what mega form it could get in future.
It already has two good abilities.

The fastets water starter we got in 6 generation immune to psychic attacks.

Greninja can always somehow comeback in future with Zygarde in a other region with Hoopa through a worm hole for an very important battle. If the Bond is so strong it will feel when to come.
They want to focus the anime around new pokemon.
If there will be a league for masters from all the 12 regions then Ash will probably participate and his best pokemon will come back somehow like Goodra Did.

Even if greninja wasn't released, the next episode will have to be the last episode. So it doesn't matter now or in the next episode. Now when I think about it, I feel like this is the best thing he can get. Staying with the legends that are present in SM which certainly opens possibility of him returning. If they return, then he will return with them. It's actually better than rotting at Oak's and has greater chances of returning. I hope it's just better than what we had with charizard.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom