• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY140: The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I'm really tempted to do so after reading about Serena in Bulbapedia. Seriously, I didn't expect to read that. Be completely honest, how many of you were expecting this to happen? Seriously, be honest.
I did though I was actually pretty surprised that they did it the way they did. As I said before, they managed to make the shippers happy while not pissing off the anti-shippers.
I was expecting that if they did kiss the writers would decide that if they go that far then Ash would also be outright shown to be into Serena. They made it a very quick and open to debate sort of thing to please everyone and then get the heck outta there before the debate sparks a fight. Clever move. I was really hoping Serena would get the guts to just admit it or else it would feel like a waste for her character however I also did not every buy that Ash liked her that way so the way it turned out was really effective for me. But I am still glad that others can easily take it to be the way they want it. Again that is before any ensuing fan wars.
There aren't enough words to convey how much I wanted Serena to fall back and break her neck while she so dangerously ran up that esculator. You can all fangasm over that kiss but remember, Iris didn't come back for XY so chances are, we will never see Serena again!
I hate to agree but yeah she very well could never come back. That's why I am happy though. The way it is we do not have any loose threads for Ash in terms of that ship while Serena finally got closure. At the very least her arc is fully over in case she never comes back.

WOW! Serena kissed Ash! The moment I always craved for!!!!!! But why wasn't the kiss shown fully! And why did they made her part ways! This pairing was perfect and it deserved to be forever and eternal!!!!! How will I console myself now! I am crying a river at the moment! :cry::cry::cry::cry:
It was not show because clearly they did not kiss. Like I said
HEADBUTT
latest
.........sorry.......................not really;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was not show because clearly they did not kiss. Like I said
HEADBUTT
latest

.........sorry.......................not really;)
Serena 100℅ kissed Ash. Serena's legs were shown leaning towards Ash. The sparkling background during the moment suggested something very romantic, like a kiss. Please don't deny the obvious.

Serena 100℅ kissed Ash. Serena's legs were shown leaning towards Ash. The sparkling background during the moment suggested something very romantic, like a kiss. Please don't deny the obvious.

Don't bother. This is the internet. They'll always be at least one person who denies the obvious.

I'd like to start off with this comment made by @GurahkWeavile in the preview thread, which is now rather ironic:
Serena with an innocent blushing smile as she goes down that escalator........
That cunning vixen! The key question - do we think it was on the cheeks or... the lips? ;)

It was a beautiful episode. Script, acting, animation and the Volt compilation - phenomenal. My expectations (as with probably everyone else) were astronomically high and, though I didn't necessarily get all the elements I pleaded for, the episode was a better end-of-saga than I'd ever hoped for. Dare I even say it... Better than end of OS?

The Dedenne running away gimmick actually being it reacting sensitively to Eureka's feelings made the whole thing nothing short of heart-rending. After Eureka's little exposition, I think we can now safely silence those who insist that Dedenne is Citron's because he threw the ball.

TRio things:
1. Their video made me LOL
2. They were amazingly well animated this episode, better than the twerps I think, the scene of them jumping for joy was so dynamic.
3. The fate of Maaiika and Pumpjin remains to be seen. No hint of them being dumped at least for now.
4. OBVIOUS S&M HINT but seriously Kojiro why did you buy souvenirs of Solrock and Lunatone who you haven't actually come across in Kalos?!

I'm that salty 1%. Was the kiss necessary? Absolutely not. Serena's thirst just won over. Were the other parts of the episode good? Yes. The episode overall (besides the damn kiss), was pretty good. But seeing as I hate 2 out of 3 of the Kalos gang, they really won't be missed by me. Oh well, Sun and Moon will be better.

Time for me to say a tearful goodbye to the Pokemon Anime! It gave a lot of enjoyable moments! But the current disappointment has made me take the decision of quitting. Anyway a journey of 16 years for me ends here. Goodbye!:cry::cry::(:(

Time for me to say a tearful goodbye to the Pokemon Anime! It gave a lot of enjoyable moments! But the current disappointment has made me take the decision of quitting. Anyway a journey of 16 years for me ends here. Goodbye!:cry::cry::(:(

Same here. This episode was good and all, but it marks the end of an era as the anime's humor heads towards that of Nickelodeon's cartoons than Cartoon Network's. The trailers appear to show potential of a good series, but (since it is mooching off Yo-Kai Watch) I've had enough of popularity mooching after Hannah Montana and High School Musical warped Disney Channel into a "teen girl oriented" hub and ruined The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

I'm sad to see you leave the anime fandom, but goodbye.

Sadly, a lot of us are. And not just on the Bulbagarden lot, either.

But the fact that Serena may have kissed Ash, though we don't see it up front. That reminds me of the end of Jak 3. But... ASH KISSES A GIRL OUTSIDE A MOVIE!? He's eternally ten, and the writers say he must not understand love one bit. His reaction to the kiss must be awkward.

I was trying to keep myself from crying and marking out from watching "the kiss".....so many emotions......

As someone who watched all of the episodes in the XY series, this episode left me really satisfied. Before I talk about the rest of the episode, let me address the elephant in the room. I agree that the kiss was the highlight of the episode. I wasn't sure if they would ever do it or not considering the target audience, but the way it was handled was the best they could've done. It was open ended and wrapped up Serena as she left, with Ash not giving a crap as expected.

As for the rest of the episode, it was probably one of the best farewell episodes we've had in the show. It was really nice to see the interactions with Oak and Delia, and it's cool to see that they acknowledged Ash's XY companions. It wasn't made clear if Oak remembered Serena or not though. I also liked how Alain explained why he removed his key stone and Charizardite X, and how he and Marian were going to put the stone away in a cave (I think?). The farewell between Ash and Alain was handled well too imo. That collage edited by Team Rocket was cute, and they're going to Kanto as expected. I'm not sure how they'll get rid of Inkay and Gourgeist though, but whatever. Dedenne running away from the gang was whatever, but I liked how Bonnie really encouraged it to come back.

Aside from the kiss, Serena's goodbye was definitely the saddest to me. She really cared about Ash, and I felt empty the rest of the episode because this was such a one-sided relationship that it isn't even funny. Ash is so used to companions leaving and joining him, so even after Serena showed her true feelings to him, he doesn't think anything of it. This was always doomed to happen due to the fact that Ash is always the protagonist and his companions rotate, but I just wish Ash acknowledged that she likes him. It doesn't even have to be anything more than that. Besides that, she definitely had the most character development out of the XY companions. As shown in the flashbacks, she started her journey to find Ash, then experimented, found a goal in showcases, got runner up in the Master Class, and is now going to do Pokemon Contests and learn as a coordinator. Serena will definitely be the character that I'll miss from XY the most, and I'm not mad that she isn't going to Alola. She has no reason too. But I wish Ash acknowledged that this girl thinks that he's really cute, nothing more and nothing less.

After all this, Clemont and Ash do a quick battle. I'm actually really happy this battle was cut short, as this episode really needed to move along considering how many flashbacks they wanted to show. I did like how they used Bunnelby and Pikachu just like in the first battle of the series though. As for Clemont and Bonnie's flashbacks, they were handled well too. Clemont was probably the least active of the XY companions, as his only important parts in the series were the promise to do the gym battle with Ash, the gym battle itself, and playing a major part in taking down Team Flare. As such, he has the least flashbacks out of the four characters. However, Clemont was always a fun character to have around, and I never got tired of his "Clemontic Gear ON!!" antics. Bonnie was also a great character imo. Ash shown in the flashbacks, there were a lot of great fillers that were focused on Bonnie, like the Tyrantrum episode. She got really important during XYZ, where Squishy was introduced and played an important role to its character. Without Bonnie, Squishy wouldn't see the true value in Pokemon and people working together. The relationship between them was great, and I really liked how Bonnie made that promise to Squishy to have another journey with it someday (which we know won't happen). Both Bonnie and Clemont were great companions, and I'lll definitely miss them.

After that, we get a little montage to see what some other XY characters are doing. Sycamore is about to give a new trainer his starter, but Alain and Marin are shown to be in that cave mentioned earlier. Sawyer also followed up on what he said two episodes ago, and is directly working with his idol Steven Stone on investigating the megalith. Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna are taking a break after the chaotic Team Flare arc, and are just nature sighting. Goodra is shown to be a guardian to the other Pokemon in the ranch, like Ash's Bulbasaur at Oak's ranch. Finally, we see Greninja assisting Squishy and Z2 with the remaining vines.

I was feeling really empty for most of these sequences, since after Serena left I realized this series I've been watching for the past three years was finally ending. However, I broke a smile when Greninja showed up. Aside from his loss at the league, his character was handled well imo, and it made me really happy that even after a release, we still got to see how it's doing. I was also really excited to hear that Ash-Greninja will be in Sun & Moon, and I'm definitely planning on using it on my Sun team after watching XY. My original starter in XY was Delphox, so my opinion on Greninja after these last few years went from "Don't care" to "Greninja is so awesome", and that says a lot to me. Putting him in Smash was a great idea, and Ash-Greninja definitely arose from his rising popularity. I know people were getting tired of Ash's Greninja, but I personally couldn't get enough of him. Every time he appeared, I knew something was going down. In hindsight, I also like that he released it for a greater good, as hims staying at Oak's with everyone else doesn't seem befitting with its character. Even before Frogadier evolved, it was awesome as both a Froakie and Frogadier. I also got a kick out of its frubbles that it used so often before it became Greninja. Greninja was definitely the Pokemon I enjoyed in the XY series the most, and while it will be missed, I will personally get to see it again next month on my Pokemon Sun team!

When Ash and Pikachu are on the airplane, the past three years just rush back in a flash. Usually I don't feel much for these flashbacks, as I've never watched all of the episodes in a series before and never felt strongly connected to most of these characters except for Misty and Brock. However, it felt so surreal to see the entire series in a nutshell and recognize all of the clips shown. I was there when all of this happened, and I enjoyed being a part of it. From saving Garchomp at Prisim Tower, to the first haunted house filler, to first finding Goomy, to Serena fighting a Pikachu trainer for Ash, to even Ash and Greninja parting ways, I was there for all of that and much, much more. I dared myself when XY first began to watch all of the episodes since I liked the first few. At first, it seemed really daunting and time consuming. I mean, watch over 140 episodes for three years? However, I found it really enjoyable. I had 22 minutes of escaping into Kalos to look forward to every Thursday, and I was glad to have done so every week. Some episodes, like the Ash vs. Alain two parter in the league and today's episode, would make me not want to sleep because I got so excited for a few episodes in particular. With the upcoming Sun & Moon series, I'm not sure if I want to watch all of the episodes for it too. However, I will watch the first few and see what I think. Maybe one of these days, I'll catch up with regions I never watched much of, like Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova.

As for the characters in general, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, and even Greninja were all great characters to see for the past three years, and this was one of the best adaptations of Ash throughout the show. I also liked how the Mega Evolution specials crossed over into the main show, and while Ash never beat Alain, Alain was already proven to be tough. I liked how their relationship was handled too. Plus, some of the supporting characters were great. Sawyer was interesting throughout and I liked how he looked up to Ash, showing how far Ash had come in XY. Plus, I like how his admiration of Steven landed him to be his assistant. I also really liked Meyer, he was really badass both as a dad and as a super hero. Plus, Milette's teasing with Serena was hilarious. The trio of Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor was kinda bland, but I still liked that they were adapted into the show. It would have been cool to see AZ show up, but he never did. I don't know what he would've done either, but oh well.

Overall, the XY series was great. It's been a wild three years. Even though I haven't been posting on Bulbagarden forums until recently, I've always been lurking them since late Diamond and Pearl. It was great to finally get invested in a Pokemon series, and XY was definitely one of the best ones to do so with. I don't know if I'll stick around for Sun & Moon's anime for not, but I'll continue to read people's impressions on them here. I don't usually cry during these episodes either, not even with all of the other previous episodes, but once Serena left I started letting a few tears out. It really hit me that this series was ending once they were all leaving. And I won't forget these feelings anytime soon. Pokemon in general has always been a big part of my life too, so I'm glad to share my thoughts and feelings with you guys on this episode. Thanks for everything, XY series. And to our own way!

Last edited:
Great episode... what was best was the closure that was given to all the rivals, companions and even Team Rocket.
The signature at the end was weird.. but I can't wait for Alola!
I just wish that we got to see Ash interacting with Oak and his mom and dropping off his pokemon at the lab, but oh well.
This series was brave.

There aren't enough words to convey how much I wanted Serena to fall back and break her neck while she so dangerously ran up that esculator. You can all fangasm over that kiss but remember, Iris didn't come back for XY so chances are, we will never see Serena again!

Shhh. don't upset the Amourshippers. They're everywhere on Youtube...... I've seen some get really riled up.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom