• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY140: The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Funny the possibility of having people bothered by off-screen kisses when we have kids show with on-screen kisses nowadays. Total Drama features lots of kisses and the viewers like them.

Children do not get confused over characters innocently kissing in a program. Especially off-screen. If it were anything objectionable, the censors wouldn't have allowed any of it to begin with. Anything shown on Tv these days targeted towards a younger audience has already been screen for anything inappropriate. Plus, it's the kids' parents that need to worry what their children watch, and for them to decide what is good or bad for them.

I see everyone either talking about the kiss or talking about their feelings for the episode. For me, besides the kiss, the other best part was when Chespin and Pancham "made peace"
DP120.jpg

I see everyone either talking about the kiss or talking about their feelings for the episode. For me, besides the kiss, the other best part was when Chespin and Pancham "made peace"
DP120.jpg
MY SONS ;A; I weep for them. They're gonna miss each other so much. Aside from the legendary kiss, this was easily my fav part.

RE the kiss & corrupting children's minds:
Considering that we super-focused, older fans weren't all immediately sure as to what had happened, how many kids watching Pokemon casually do you think might have just missed it altogether?...

Still made the episode terrible in my opinion. Add on the bad writing and the poor judgement of the league, Goodra and Greninja which leaves the entire series unsatisfying. I seen better Goodbye episodes than this. Misty, May and Dawn's farewell episodes was far better than this and Iris's farewell episode in my opinion.

My thoughts on this is that it's a good finale, but not a good episode. Team Rocket's part was fine, Serena's part was also Nice. Bonnie and Dedenne had a really nice moment. Clemont and Ash was honestly just kinda there. Weird how the guy we're sort of traveling with didn't really share much of his thoughts on his Kalos journey as a whole. I think the overall episode is bad though since like a third of it is just flashbacks. When they have 20 minutes to cramp everything together why did they need to have so many flashbacks?
Of course I wish something could have been done for Ash and TR's old Pokemon, but next year is the 20th anniversary for the anime, so hopefully they'll do something with them next year instead.
I wish they could throw us a bone once in a while though. Ash's short trips back to Pallet Town is one of few things in the anime everyone eagerly waits for, but again we got nothing. No Tracey, Brock or Misty. No Oak's lab. Oh well. There's always the premiere for the Sun & Moon where Ash will probably be in Kanto for like 30 second to a minute lol

Oh, btw, this series ended with the score Alain 3 and Ash 0. This is the first time Ash has not beaten a rival who he battled thrice.

Oh, btw, this series ended with the score Alain 3 and Ash 0. This is the first time Ash has not beaten a rival who he battled thrice.
I think this was just wrong of the writers to never give Ash a chance to beat him, or at least tie with him. They always do give him a chance to beat a rival that he's lost to multiple times. They gave us an amourshipping kiss, but they couldn't give us Ash beating Alain.

The reaction to the kiss is one thing I truly love also.

Last edited:
After gathering much thought on the last episode of XY, I do have to say it stands out from the rest of every farewell episode there is before. Namely there is no last minute Team Rocket attempts to steal Pikachu and the XY group gets to have all their Pokémon come out and battle as a team one last time. In fact, ironically, the last conflict with any antagonist our heroes faced in the Kalos region is not Team Rocket but Xerosic and his plans to recreate Team Flare. And that was in the last episode, not this one. It kinda highlights how it was ultimately about Ash and his friends' adventure rather than just simply Ash and Pikachu's adventure, followed by Team Rocket. I personally find it to be enjoyable change of pace as the main strength of the episode is how the characters deal with the parting of ways and there is no distraction to that question whatsoever. In many ways, it is more of an epilogue than any other final episode of each Pokémon series. Wrapping up the last threads of the XYZ while still leaving some doors open in the future.

Alain's explanation for no longer having the Mega Ring and Megastone is a perfect way to end his story. It should never be seen as anything but a curse and a reminder to the horrible mistakes he's made under Team Flare. And while he does not outright confirm it, it does give me a sense of condolence that Alain might have also revoked his champion title and trophy as well, as it was earned by him using Lysandre's tools (which he wishes to no longer be associated with) and would remind him of that toxic goal of being the strongest (which led him astray from his original goal of understanding Mega Evolution). Of course that wouldn't make Ash automatically the champion without a lot of technical issues, but it would at least make him officially the highest ranked trainer of the Kalos League with the champion position being left permanently vacant. And considering the fact that Alain is never actually referred as the champion in the post-Flare crisis, only acknowledged as a finalists as far as the translations go, while Ash's rank is constantly brought as if he was the overall star of the League, I do see this being quite possible. Keep in mind though that this has more to do with my desire to keep the champion title and trophy clean rather trying to have Ash get the trophy by any means. That's why I'm satisfied even though I kinda want one more Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X match to officially make it clear of who is the real champion of Kalos. For Alain, is 99% redeemed for me.

Bonnie and Dedenne's subplot is quite an endearing one and I really do wish to see more of her as an actual trainer. I could easily see her three years later leaving the Kalos region with Dedenne and Squishy to deliver Ash-Greninja back to his rightful trainer in the Alola region, where Ash is currently building a Pokémon League with all of his Pokémon together. And I could see her then compete in the League tournament and unleash Complete Forme Zygarde upon her unsuspected opponents.

As for Serena, I wasn't that surprised that they didn't forget her crush on Ash and had a resolution to it through a confession. I knew that if they were going to introduce this aspect of her character from the very beginning and continue to tease and push this relationship all the way late in the XY&Z story arc, it was begging for a conclusion of sort by the end of this series. I wanted Serena to confess her feelings because I know it is better to let it all out and risked being rejected rather than simply bottling it up and missing your chance. As Miette puts it, "If [she] keep [her] head in the clouds," someone else will confess to Ash instead. After all, the only reason Ash did not notice Serena's crush is because she was too shy to even hold his hand in a romantic tone. Confessing her feelings to him would not only showcase that her love for Ash is still strong even after seeing him at his lowest moment, but it would also showcase her development from a shy and passive girl to someone isn't afraid to speak her mind and make her own path. That's why I applaud her for turning down Palmero's offer in favor of her own path. And that's why I was delighted to see Serena make her move on Ash.

What I did not expect was Serena to actually kiss him. Of all the things that I could have imagined when Serena finally confesses, the kiss was last thing I could ever predicted. I expected her to tell him or hug him or at the very least hold his hand. But a kiss (especially one directly on the lips) is practically unthinkable for nearly all fans and it's a delightfully bold move on the writers to actually go that far. So much that I became optimistic enough to even consider giving Sun & Moon series another look.

And so our protagonists leave and have their little flashbacks to all of their adventures. I can recognize virtually all of these episode moments, and they are a reminder that coutray to popular belief, XY was not always super serious show devoid of all humor. It had a lot of comedic moments with the Kalos crew, moments that makes me want to rewatch the series again. It shows that you don't really have to overemphasize comedy in a Pokémon series. Just have the right balance of fun and seriousness for all ages to enjoy. One funny thing to note is that Ash's flashback to his little journey has him remember all the little moments he had with Serena such as the ribbon gift and Ash getting sick and collapsing on Serena. While it's primary focused on Ash's battles and his Pokémon, particularly Ash-Greninja, it does make the shipper inside me hope that Ash, after coming to terms with Serena's kiss, realizes how much Serena means to him as a companion to his Kalos journey and it would eventually blossom into a romantic love on his part.

And when flashbacks ends with Ash and Ash-Greninja hugging each other, Ash finally returns back to Pallet Town just like Diamond and Pearl. And rather than ending with a Next Time-A New Beginning! like the other series, XY&Z ends with the message "And to our own way." It's a strange way to end the series with this message, but in a way, it's fitting. XY&Z marks the end of an era for many people, helped by the fact that SM has a new art style and that there is no foreshadowing (other than brief easter egg from Team Rocket) of Ash ever going to Alola region in this last episode. And really, there's no better way to potentially end Ash's story than here. Ash has finally reached the top of the League and is widely hailed and praised across the Kalos region as both a trainer and a hero. He mastered a new kind of evolution that no one has ever seen and or encountered. And the girl who accompanied him finally admits her love with a kiss. It truly is the legend of Satoshi as a Pokémon Master. And one that cannot be topped anytime soon.

So much that I became optimistic enough to even consider giving Sun & Moon series another look.

It's actually great that this episode got you interested in Sun and Moon. I just hope that Ash is offered a scholarship/placement in the school because of his league position/heroics... it would work with continuity and it would also show that other regions know about the Kalos incident.

One good and bad thing about the series is that to some fans, it was TOO GOOD and as a result, anything that is not XYZ will be a disappointment.

It's actually great that this episode got you interested in Sun and Moon. I just hope that Ash is offered a scholarship/placement in the school because of his league position/heroics... it would work with continuity and it would also show that other regions know about the Kalos incident.

One good and bad thing about the series is that to some fans, it was TOO GOOD and as a result, anything that is not XYZ will be a disappointment.

Well it seemed that way with DP too. But XY proved some wrong. So who knows.

Bonnie and Dedenne's subplot is quite an endearing one and I really do wish to see more of her as an actual trainer. I could easily see her three years later leaving the Kalos region with Dedenne and Squishy to deliver Ash-Greninja back to his rightful trainer in the Alola region, where Ash is currently building a Pokémon League with all of his Pokémon together. And I could see her then compete in the League tournament and unleash Complete Forme Zygarde upon her unsuspected opponents.

As for Serena, I wasn't that surprised that they didn't forget her crush on Ash and had a resolution to it through a confession. I knew that if they were going to introduce this aspect of her character from the very beginning and continue to tease and push this relationship all the way late in the XY&Z story arc, it was begging for a conclusion of sort by the end of this series. I wanted Serena to confess her feelings because I know it is better to let it all out and risked being rejected rather than simply bottling it up and missing your chance. As Miette puts it, "If [she] keep [her] head in the clouds," someone else will confess to Ash instead. After all, the only reason Ash did not notice Serena's crush is because she was too shy to even hold his hand in a romantic tone. Confessing her feelings to him would not only showcase that her love for Ash is still strong even after seeing him at his lowest moment, but it would also showcase her development from a shy and passive girl to someone isn't afraid to speak her mind and make her own path. That's why I applaud her for turning down Palmero's offer in favor of her own path. And that's why I was delighted to see Serena make her move on Ash.

What I did not expect was Serena to actually kiss him. Of all the things that I could have imagined when Serena finally confesses, the kiss was last thing I could ever predicted. I expected her to tell him or hug him or at the very least hold his hand. But a kiss (especially one directly on the lips) is practically unthinkable for nearly all fans and it's a delightfully bold move on the writers to actually go that far. So much that I became optimistic enough to even consider giving Sun & Moon series another look.

And so our protagonists leave and have their little flashbacks to all of their adventures. I can recognize virtually all of these episode moments, and they are a reminder that coutray to popular belief, XY was not always super serious show devoid of all humor. It had a lot of comedic moments with the Kalos crew, moments that makes me want to rewatch the series again. It shows that you don't really have to overemphasize comedy in a Pokémon series. Just have the right balance of fun and seriousness for all ages to enjoy. One funny thing to note is that Ash's flashback to his little journey has him remember all the little moments he had with Serena such as the ribbon gift and Ash getting sick and collapsing on Serena. While it's primary focused on Ash's battles and his Pokémon, particularly Ash-Greninja, it does make the shipper inside me hope that Ash, after coming to terms with Serena's kiss, realizes how much Serena means to him as a companion to his Kalos journey and it would eventually blossom into a romantic love on his part.

And when flashbacks ends with Ash and Ash-Greninja hugging each other, Ash finally returns back to Pallet Town just like Diamond and Pearl. And rather than ending with a Next Time-A New Beginning! like the other series, XY&Z ends with the message "And to our own way." It's a strange way to end the series with this message, but in a way, it's fitting. XY&Z marks the end of an era for many people, helped by the fact that SM has a new art style and that there is no foreshadowing (other than brief easter egg from Team Rocket) of Ash ever going to Alola region in this last episode. And really, there's no better way to potentially end Ash's story than here. Ash has finally reached the top of the League and is widely hailed and praised across the Kalos region as both a trainer and a hero. He mastered a new kind of evolution that no one has ever seen and or encountered. And the girl who accompanied him finally admits her love with a kiss. It truly is the legend of Satoshi as a Pokémon Master. And one that cannot be topped anytime soon.
None of that is going to happen. If it did then the whole show is officially rubbish and is not worth watching. I don't think anything would redeem Ash after the Kalos saga.

None of that is going to happen. If it did then the whole show is officially rubbish and is not worth watching. I don't think anything would redeem Ash after the Kalos saga.

Oh XY and XY&Z is worth watching. There are only two things that I really do not like, but that is mostly based on personal preference. Already, I'm thinking of alternative story arc of Sun & Moon for Satoshi should the actual SM series fail to impress me. And really, what did you expect when you continuously insistent that status quo be unchanged instead of pushing the boundaries? You reap what you wish. And I've learn to accept and live with my wishes.

For me, this was the most well-written, and well crafted final episode for any of the sagas. Everyone got some focus, there was joy and sadness, and moments of quiet. And I just felt that it all balanced out nicely when it was all set and done.

It was nice to see the gang's last day together with them all enjoying one final lunch (I'm guessing) with each other before they all parted ways. Sycamore, Alain, and Mairin stopping by to say goodbye to them was nice. Although I was never much of a fan of Alain, I'm glad to see that he gave up the Mega ring and keystone that Lysandre gave him. This was a very harsh life lesson that he went through and I'm glad he's back working with Augustine and doing research for him with Mairin.

The scene at the airport with all the Pokémon receiving a good portion of the spotlight in their goodbyes to each other was great. Hawlucha, you dear soul, you're trying to be so brave and unaffected. It was great to see Braixen and Sylveon take notice of quiet little Bonnie and Dedenne, finally, when no one else seemed to. I have to give props to Dedenne's VA for doing such a wonderful job with its distraught tone of voice. That really got me. And the scene where it was behind the tv screen and peeked around to "yell" at everyone and then pulled its ears down over its face. Poor Dedenne. It took until the last few episodes of the saga for you to regain some relevance to the storyline.
I feel like Dedenne's reaction here was something that had been building up since the beginning of the episode. I noticed that whenever Bonnie reacted with sadness to all the talk of Ash & Serena leaving, Dedenne felt that sadness in her as well. So Bonnie putting her feelings out there on her sleeve and saying the things she did, that was very brave of her. It was great to see the others talk to her afterwards and really bolster her and Dedenne's spirits with what they said.

I'm actually rather shocked that the writer's had the guts to write the scene where Serena kisses Ash. Whether it was a kiss on the cheek, or on the lips, I won't speak to, or guess about, that. I honestly believe that the gang's reaction would have been the same in either case simply because a girl kissed Ash :D regardless of where it landed.
I'm happy for the Amourshippers. It's nice to know that there's at least one shipping faction within the fandom that has finally received some sort of validation for their favorite pairing. I'm also glad, though, for the way the writers wrote Ash's seeming noncommittal reaction. At least the other shipping factions can still believe that Ash might harbor some feelings for their favorite female protag.

The battle between Clemont & Ash was a fitting ending, I thought, for their last moments spent together. It was a nice callback to the fact that Clemont was the first trainer Ash met in Kalos that he battled. It doesn't matter to me that we didn't see how the battle ended. That wasn't the point. It was a nice, friendly, "one for the road" battle. Something they will both hold dear in their memories for some time to come.

The flashback scenes were something that I don't recall having previously been done in any of the other final saga episodes. I didn't feel like it was out of place or anything, and I actually enjoyed watching past events recalled for each of the characters as they went through their journey together with Ash. I feel as though Ash had quite an emotional impact on each of his travelling companions in this saga. More so than in any of the others. And within the flashback scenes that Ash himself was remembering it would seem that he, too, has some very fond memories of the way his companions, pokemon, rivals, and friends have affected him as well. The final shot being given to the hug between him and Greninja before they parted ways was as it should be.

So now Ash finally arrives home, by himself and in the dark of night. Interesting. This was a very stylized ending, I thought. Maybe a little too stylized. What with the seemingly symbolic gesture of Ash closing the door, while we remain outside watching, to the camera panning up into the night sky to write "And to our own way" on the stars. I could totally misconstrue this ending if I wanted to, to think that it was a series finale instead of just the saga finale. I'm sure that was not the writer's intent. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to give a very special saga a very special ending. We are saying goodbye to "Kalos Ash". His journey here has ended and we are moving on. I have to take a moment to throw my hat down on the side with those who prefer an incarnation of Ash that is a little more heroic, a little more badass, than not. I have greatly enjoyed my time here with Ash in the Kalos region and I'm sad to see this particular saga end.

If it was a kiss... this was between 10 year old's we're talking about, of coarse it's off screen

Yeah, usually kisses on the lips between characters who are 10 aren't shown, if I remember correctly. They'll show on the cheek, but never on the lips. The youngest on the lips kiss I've seen was probably between Aang and Katara, and they were 12 and 14 respectively. Maybe 13 and 15? I have no idea how old they were at the series finale.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom