• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY140: The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Charizard, Sceptile, and Lucario continue to be prominent in the anime and the franchise overall, long after they were introduced. They're hypemons that rake in money, and Greninja is the latest to reach that level of hype. Chances are they're going to bring him back sooner or later.

Story-wise he doesn't have to stay in Kalos after he takes out the remaining plants, whenever they want to bring him back they can say he finished that.
How exactly is he going to come back? Ash never gave the pokeball that Greninja stay in to anyone and Ash doesn't return to previous regions aside from Kanto. And there is no way Greninja can travel all the way to Alola or to Kanto. Greninja maybe popular but nothing indicates it's future return.

Last edited:
How exactly is he going to come back? Ash never gave the pokeball that Greninja stay in to anyone and Ash doesn't return to previous regions aside from Kanto. And there is no way Greninja can travel all the way to Alola or to Kanto. Greninja maybe popular but nothing indicates it's future return.

You'll be surprised on what kind of excuse they could use to bring back a popular character. And Greninja is easy. Zygarde Cells are across the globe. And it's not like Greninja is not aware of human civilization or where he can go...

For all I know, a Hoopa did it.

You'll be surprised on what kind of excuse they could use to bring back a popular character. And Greninja is easy. Zygarde Cells are across the globe. And it's not like Greninja is not aware of human civilization or where he can go...

For all I know, a Hoopa did it.
It be pretty poor writing to bring it back without a good excuse. And so far there is no good excuse to bring it back.

It be pretty poor writing to bring it back without a good excuse. And so far there is no good excuse to bring it back.

And you think that would stop them? In a world where Satoshi manages to accomplish 20 years worth of achievements in less than a year? Where Charizard is brought back in Best Wishes because Ash grew nostalgic for his old friend? And did nothing of importance? Or perhaps the world where Ash is finally going to school after a 20 year journey?

Ash-Greninja being the most popular Pokémon in recent memory is a good enough excuse for the showrunners, no matter how contrived it is.

And you think that would stop them? In a world where Satoshi manages to accomplish 20 years worth of achievements in less than a year? Where Charizard is brought back in Best Wishes because Ash grew nostalgic for his old friend? And did nothing of importance? Or perhaps the world where Ash is finally going to school after a 20 year journey?

Ash-Greninja being the most popular Pokémon in recent memory is a good enough excuse for the showrunners, no matter how contrived it is.
I am pretty certain that we have seen the last of Greninja. No reason to give others false hope.

I am pretty certain that we have seen the last of Greninja. No reason to give others false hope.

Pretty sure? You do realize that fan service has profound influence on the show, even when it doesn't look like it. After all, who would ever suspect that the shown runners would actually give what Amourshippers always wanted but never quite imagine happening?

Never forget the kiss. Or Ash's Charizard for that matter. Or even Cilian.

Pretty sure? You do realize that fan service has profound influence on the show, even when it doesn't look it. After all, who would ever suspect that the shown runners wouldn't actually give what Amourshippers always wanted but never quite imagine happening?

Never forget the kiss. Or Ash's Charizard for that matter. Or even Cilian.
First bit should not have happen as this is a kids show. Charizard was never released. Cilan is irrelevant in this matter. I don't buy that Greninja will return at any point in the near future.

First bit should not have happen as this is a kids show. Charizard was never released. Cilan is irrelevant in this matter. I don't buy that Greninja will return at any point in the near future.

But Amourshippers wanted a heartwarming conclusion to the romance and they got more than they bargained for. Isn't that fan service? Charizard's goodbye might as well be a release for many had he not returned for the movie and last saga of the original series. And Cilian is clearly appealing to fans of Best Wishes, so it's not like they have completely forgotten about the past.

It's all fan service and that is what matters for any old character. Team Rocket should have been dead a long ago in some of their perils of the original show, yet the writers always save them no matter how implausible it may be. It's all in the unwritten rule of comics and franchises.

But Amourshippers wanted a heartwarming conclusion to the romance and they got more than they bargained for. Isn't that fan service? Charizard's goodbye might as well be a release for many had he not returned for the movie and last saga of the original series. And Cilian is clearly appealing to fans of Best Wishes, so it's not like they have completely forgotten about the past.

It's all fan service and that is what matters for any old character. Team Rocket should have been dead a long ago in some of their perils of the original show, yet the writers always save them no matter how implausible it may be. It's all in the unwritten rule of comics and franchises.
Amourshipping is fanfiction that should never have been allowed in the first place. And no, Charizard was clearly stated to be in training in the anime so not release not matter how many movies or saga it miss. As for Cilan, he is a companion that leaves Ash just like the others. They shouldn't do fan service because it is poor writing and makes some like me unhappy.

Amourshipping is fanfiction that should never have been allowed in the first place. And no, Charizard was clearly stated to be in training in the anime so not release not matter how many movies or saga it miss. As for Cilan, he is a companion that leaves Ash just like the others. They shouldn't do fan service because it is poor writing and makes some like me unhappy.

You expect stellar writing from Pokémon after you proclaimed that Ash will lose despite the narrative saying otherwise because of marketing first status quo you said you have come to accept?

Can't eat cake and have it too.

You expect stellar writing from Pokémon after you proclaimed that Ash will lose despite the narrative saying otherwise because of marketing first status quo you said you have come to accept?

Can't eat cake and have it too.
I am glad Ash lost the league now. If he won with Greninja then it would have made the release more insulting. Nothing worse than a trainer releasing a pokemon that won the league for him. Also Ash was always going to lose the league. They only allow smaller wins for him like BF and Orange Islands.

Why are you so adamant on stating that kissing is not kid-appropriate? Last I checked, a lot of kids movies don't have a problem showing kissing scenes. Movies like The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Frog, Shrek... all of those appeal to the kids just fine and nobody has issues with the kisses on-screen being kid-appropriate or not. Kids learn how to kiss by interacting with their parents (if you've never seen a mother kiss her baby, then idk) so it's only natural that kids know what a kiss is supposed to be and how it's done. Finally, Serena's age shouldn't be a problem because 10-year-olds can develop crushes. Kisses and love can be kid-appropriate. Please don't mix them up with adult-material.

They included Ash's Greninja in the demo and allowed us to transfer it to the main game. Why Ash's Greninja specifically? Because it is super popular. It ties into marketing. It's a positive money-grabber. Greninja ranking number one on the popularity poll just proves that how much the fans love him. Fans would be willing to buy Greninja-related products, and the fans who voted for Greninja would want to take it along during their journey through Alola. They'd love another Greninja appearance just like how they brought back Charizard when it barely did anything. Greninja is released, yes, and he followed Zygarde, yes, but that does not mean he can't come back. The writers can make up a story - any story - to bring him back, bad writing or not. Greninja sells, and they'd be stupid not to make the most out of him.

This episode seemed a lot more 'final' than others have felt to me - the way this ended just made it feel like there's no intention of continuity. I don't think I've had that feeling from any other ending, combined with how different the previews of SM make Ash's characterisation seem, it feels like this is more of an ending.

I therefore don't know how to take this episode - it will only really be in retrospect after we understand Ash's character in SM that you'd really know if this was a nice wrap up to XY, or a very inadequate way of essentially writing off Ash as we know him.

Taking it just as an ending for XY, I don't really have many complaints. The way the Pokemon handled their goodbyes was a real highlight - and the Dedenne running away scene didn't drag anywhere near as much as Piplup.

I'm disappointed that there's not another episode entirely set in Kanto following this one - Ash's adventures feel really detached from eachother when there's not the on screen return to Oak's lab, or even his room.

Right now though, I can't escape the feeling that I've just watched the last episode that will be recognisable to me as the Pokemon Anime that I've watched all these years. I hope that I'm wrong.

Why are you so adamant on stating that kissing is not kid-appropriate? Last I checked, a lot of kids movies don't have a problem showing kissing scenes. Movies like The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Frog, Shrek... all of those appeal to the kids just fine and nobody has issues with the kisses on-screen being kid-appropriate or not. Kids learn how to kiss by interacting with their parents (if you've never seen a mother kiss her baby, then idk) so it's only natural that kids know what a kiss is supposed to be and how it's done. Finally, Serena's age shouldn't be a problem because 10-year-olds can develop crushes. Kisses and love can be kid-appropriate. Please don't mix them up with adult-material.

They included Ash's Greninja in the demo and allowed us to transfer it to the main game. Why Ash's Greninja specifically? Because it is super popular. It ties into marketing. It's a positive money-grabber. Greninja ranking number one on the popularity poll just proves that how much the fans love him. Fans would be willing to buy Greninja-related products, and the fans who voted for Greninja would want to take it along during their journey through Alola. They'd love another Greninja appearance just like how they brought back Charizard when it barely did anything. Greninja is released, yes, and he followed Zygarde, yes, but that does not mean he can't come back. The writers can make up a story - any story - to bring him back, bad writing or not. Greninja sells, and they'd be stupid not to make the most out of him.
If I had kids, I wouldn't expose them to such a thing. I would give them something to watch that is fun and doesn't involve romantic material which I believe is inappropriate for them. As for Greninja, unless it can swim halfway across the world to Ash or know how to buy a ticket for plane/boat then I don't see it returning. I get the whole popular thing but it takes more than that to bring a pokemon. You need good writing and a a plan on how to bring a pokemon back.

If I had kids, I wouldn't expose them to such a thing. I would give them something to watch that is fun and doesn't involve romantic material which I believe is inappropriate for them.
The "romantic material" in this episode was a kiss, nothing more. What part of that is inappropriate?
NOTE: I wouldn't be saying this if it were on-screen sex.

The "romantic material" in this episode was a kiss, nothing more. What part of that is inappropriate?
NOTE: I wouldn't be saying this if it were on-screen sex.
It is my belief that a kiss is inappropiate for kids to watch. I am not apologizing for my belief. From my experience, kids go "ewww!" at the sight of kissing so that pretty much confirms my belief on how inappropriate kissing is on kids show and anime.

It is my belief that a kiss is inappropiate for kids to watch. I am not apologizing for my belief. From my experience, kids go "ewww!" at the sight of kissing so that pretty much confirms my belief on how inappropriate kissing is on kids show and anime.
...I'll just leave this thread alone and leave this image to do the talking.
upload_2016-11-3_20-49-13.png

Greninja can stay in contact with Sycamore, who would be able to send Greninja to Ash if he asks. Charizard had no problem staying in contact with Oak even though he was in training. There are plenty of ways to make Greninja appear in Alola without having to make him swim across the ocean.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom