• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY140: The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Taken from MAL by user Hyuse
The flight Serena was going to board was H71 Latias. In the Hoenn pokedex (H71) is Mawile which also mean Kucheet (クチート) in Japanese name which if you translate クチ to kanji it becomes 口 mouth and the ート means - to. Which all stands for "with the mouth" or "to mouth" if you do a slight translation. This is not a coincidence and purposely done brilliantly by the writers. The kiss Serena did was to the mouth.

Found this interesting, so I thought I'd post this here. If it's wrong however, feel free to correct it.

Bittersweet feelings. I absolutely loved the fact that she implicitly kissed him (a peck on the lips, because there's no way in hell they'd react like that --especially Bonnie-- with just a kiss on his cheek), and told him that he's her goal; the eyes shimmering, the fluff on his hair after smiling post-kiss, and the final scene with him going back home, and the text; it didn't say "To be continued" or "Next time, a new beginning!", it felt like a series finale.

However, the season is ending, that's the bitter part. This team has been easily the best for me, I could relate to everyone, and I felt huge sympathy for them, I felt they were well fleshed out and very likable. The late-game season could have been amazing and end the XY season with a high note (Ash winning the League, asking Serena to accompany him --or viceversa, I'm a huge Amourshipper, deal with it--), but the status quo killed much of the hype.

Still, I rate XY as high as the Original Series.

I'm gonna wait till I see the english sub is up on youtube to watch the whole thing, but I did watch bits and pieces.

While I am in no means an Amourshipper, I did like that ending for Ash and Serena. It really shows how much Serena has grown. Serena evolved so much as a person over the course of the series, and this kiss brings some real closure. For her it was a way of admitting to him that she likes him. The Serena from the first part of the series would not be able to do that. She has had an awesome character arc. That was the right way to end her time in the series.

*PRAISE*

That kiss implication was unexpected. I'm so glad that Serena received the closure in the best way possible. She started out as someone who couldn't admit her feelings to her crush, and then finally gained the courage to kiss him. That's one awesome character development. Amourshipping FOREVER <3

Ugh... why did they have to make her kiss him =~=... Now all I'm gonna hear in Sun and Moon is bring Serena back.

;^; My ship got no such love in that department (RIP Pearlshipping)

wow so serena actually kissed him. :eek: And from the looks of it, it was'nt a cheek kiss, because a kids show would not hide it.

Mind you the Pokemon Heroes Kiss had Misty and Brock looking surprised (and Misty all jealous) too and that was a kiss on the cheek

Now this is how you handle a finale. You don't make a Team Rocket mischief-based plot to get the main characters to use their Pokémon together and then cram in a farewell scene at the end. As it should, the farewell scene is the episode itself.

Dedenne running away seemed like some generic plot that'd take useful time from the episode in the previews, but turns out it served to give Bonnie a satisfactory closure, all while summarizing what the other characters have done in the series and showcasing the entire group together, Pokémon included, for the last time. The scenes showing the other recurring characters were also really nice, I love it when they briefly show what everyone is up to after their sendoffs.

It was also nice how we got to see Delia in the XY artstyle, and she even interacted a bit with Ash's friends; I was worried we won't get to see her in this series. That said, I just realized the fact that we saw Oak only two times in XY... even Giovanni, who's basically the TRio's Oak, had more appearences. Weird. Also, random guy at the airport gets his own voice actor, but Tracey still can't even have a non-speaking cameo? What in blazes?

Anyways, my only actual concern in this episode are Inkay and Gourgeist. I mean, sure, there's Ash's team too, but he always leaves his Pokémon in Pallet Town, so there's not much need to explain their absence in the next series. Jessie and James, on the other hand, always had some sort of explanation as to why they leave their Pokémon. There doesn't seem to be an actual reason for them this time, so I'm worried they will just unceremoniously vanish in SM. There's always the possibility that they keep them, but I kinda doubt they'll do that this time.

Back in the day, I used to review important episodes a bit more thoroughly... Lately, I've been having trouble coming up with stuff that haven't been said before so I just demoted myself to appreciate little details I care about. So, this time there's this:
I'm a sucker for comparing the same characters and locations drawn in each series' artstyle, and Pallet Town was just beautiful in this episode. Here's a look at Ash's house from the first BW episode, and the last XY episode:
CzeHN5s.png

ecFD293.png

...Don't get me wrong, I like a lot how that BW one looks too, I'm just glad they faithfully recreated that same design now, because last time we saw it during the BW finale, the house looked really off, for some reason:
WItpcTK.png

This just shows how much care they put on this finale. The animation and backgrounds were all excelent throughout the entire episode. And with that... well, onto Sun & Moon, I guess. Some fans will probably stop watching the anime here, but I'm going to stick around for the next one.

but the status quo killed much of the hype.
I think the kiss alone broke the status quo way too hard for the universe to handle any other deviation from its natural course.

The ending text was very different this time around, it somewhat tells that SM will not be a continuation. Is it really going to be a reboot? They couldn't do it with BW and I think this can just be another failure. What if it is set in a different universe? Or maybe it is set before XY? Otherwise, why would they use it. I think it is really the end of the whole series. They will be starting fresh from the 20th century. Damn it, if it is so, they could have just made him win the league and then told us SM is a reboot. Or maybe it is ser between DP and BW? We have to wait till 17th.
Anyways, Serena is a popular character and she will be getting a special obviously. I just hope the artwork used for it is XY artwork. Contests would look amazing in that artwork. Plus they can use extra fluid SM animation for it. She will obviously return someday since almost every female character did. Iris was just hated by everyone so she didn't get a return. But if SM is really a reboot it wouldn't happen. If it is a failure, they would bring her back just like they did with Dawn.

I'm no AmourShipper but judging from how Ash and Serena were positioned, it definitely looked like a kiss on the lips. However, while Clemont and Bonnie (even Dedenne and Pikachu) were shocked and blushing, Ash was just uncertain about what happened and sent Serena off with the same smile he had given every past female, and even male, companion he has parted ways with on his travels. Sure, I'll give Serena props for finally expressing her feelings for Ash, but if it doesn't sink into everyone's head that Ash is oblivious to love after this, it's a lost cause.

Last edited:
The ending text was very different this time around, it somewhat tells that SM will not be a continuation. Is it really going to be a reboot? They couldn't do it with BW and I think this can just be another failure. What if it is set in a different universe? Or maybe it is set before XY? Otherwise, why would they use it. I think it is really the end of the whole series.
Or maybe they just decided the "Next time... A new beginning!" thing has already run its course.
Mainly because SM being set in a different universe or a different timeline makes absolutely zero sense.

Well Serena officially got further than the other Pokegirls for sure. Even Misty (que a stampede of angry Gen 1 fans).

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed this gen in the anime from start to finish I felt this episode's conclusion was LEAAAAGUES better than the BW final episode. The last episode of BW kind of just shipped Iris and Cilan off into the sunset in the last 5 minutes of the episode and felt very lackluster. This episode felt like a proper sendoff for these lovable characters and though it was hard seeing them go, I can say the XY series ended with a satisfying conclusion. Even if you decide to drop the anime and don't check out Sun & Moon, you can actually have this be the last episode in your mind and it works. BW ended with Ash traveling to Kalos so that sort of felt more like a continuation to me than anything else. But I think the writers intentionally ended it this way knowing they'd lose a lot of watchers in the next region, which is likely true. Especially considering the anime will break the mold completely and do something completely different from the norm, just like the games.

I said before I'll at least give the SM anime 10 episodes, if not 20 episodes to see how it goes. Honestly the art and animation aside, it feels like it's going to be a lot of lame forced comedy and having LOTS of filler episodes with Ash and Pikachu just doing random stuff. XY means a lot to me since I got back into both the games and the anime with Gen 6 after being absent for Gens 4 & 5 and even though I've been slowly but surely checking out the Diamond & Pearl and BW episodes (after only seeing a small percentage of both), I just feel Gen 6 hit it right for me both when it comes to the games and the anime. It's sad to see these characters go and even sadder when they talk about meeting again when we know it will never happen because that's how the anime franchise rolls. But I suppose I should be happy I got what I wanted out of this three year run and even though this gen still had slow sections I never got too restless and always enjoyed it.

I was really shocked to hear about this special episode airing next week but I'm definitely intrigued.

EDIT: The only thing I didn't like about this episode was that they didn't even bother to show Ash's huge collection of Pokemon, even in a group photo like in BW. This kind of goes along with how they pretended Ash never owned a Charizard or a Sceptile, as examples, but not having him reference them when meeting Alan and Shota.

Last edited:
To each their own but I don't see how you can hate the XY series. Maybe not LOVE it like some of us do but it was far more consistent than the previous series, especially the first few seasons. Of course I liked Pokemon growing up and will still enjoy the first two gens, and I still like the Advanced series in the anime quite a bit. And as I said a few posts ago, I haven't seen a lot of Black & White and Diamond & Pearl to compare them properly but so far the tone and structure, especially dealing with filler episode ratios and Team Rocket, are far more enjoyable in X&Y.

Excuse me? Who are you to call other users on the forum lame? People have the right to like or dislike it.

Anyway, with the disaster of a series over, I am going to look at the next series to see if it can redeem the anime.

DashingFox dislikes it as well but he/she didn't make a fuss of it like some other people.

At the last episode of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, we didn't see Ash's older Pokemon as well.

Yeah but at least we saw them on the sinnoh league. This is the first series to not show at all ash's older pokemon.

While I don't like flashbacks that much, I liked the overall mood of this episode. Also the first kiss Ash became from a female protagonist and Serena having the guts to do it was wonderful.

Great conclusion and overall great series. A huge improvement over BW.

Too bad we're now dashing into a comedic focused series. Can't really stand what we've seen of SM.

I loved the kiss event, an the event with every character take his memories with himself, and I am happy to see the 3 trover, tierno,and shana appeared in this episode, and take a travell with eac other

Excuse me? Who are you to call other users on the forum lame? People have the right to like or dislike it.

Anyway, with the disaster of a series over, I am going to look at the next series to see if it can redeem the anime.
Of course anyone is able to say whether they liked or disliked it -freedom of speech after all- it's just that when the person continues to say they hated it in their posts, it gets a little old. I mean no offense, just saying.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom