• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY's 3D Models: The Good and the Bad

The horror...
I mean, I know guys like the Pokedex 3D models but the Cel-Shading is really helpful for keeping the series in its cartoony form.
Two more words: Uncanny Valley.

Cel-shaded graphics age really well, too. I could boot up Sly Cooper or Okami and they look just as gorgeous now as they did back in the day, when I can't necessarily say the same for, say, Ocarina of Time.

So in Pokedex 3D's case, the cartoony models and realistic render lighting highlights just how unreal the models are. If you want to render a Pokemon realistically then you do not necessarily have to go all anatomically-creepy-realistic (and that's one of the less creepy ones) but you DO have to include things like fur textures/tufts that actually LOOK like fur. Glossing it over with solid colors/textures while also giving it realistic light/shadow rendering just makes it look like a model or balloon. (insert rule 34 joke here. Or better yet, don't.)

(On a final tangent, I find it curious how the edge of Lucario's white fur around the belt looks more fur-like on the 3DS than on the Wii U.)

Last edited:
Salamence and Charizard look odd, imo.

I also thought how funny Metagross looks when it enters the battle. The ground-shaking animation happens when it is still overing over the ground for a few seconds. xD

I think the fainting animations could have been better, like they were in Col/XD/Battle Rev. Like Rosalia, which is supposed to hold its flower to its head and step backwards like it is actually fainting. Little things like that make it more...emotional. And if you don't want it, just let us recall quicker by pressing A mid-faint.

I thought that the fainting animations were fine. They were short and sweet, while the ones from Stadium to Battle Revolution got progressively worse. The animations in those games seemed to drawn out and older gen animations got progressively shorter and seemed incomplete. Vileplume in Revolution simply twitches and goes back in its Pokeball.

Back on topic, I was very pleased with many of the fresh new models for all the Pokemon. I didn't really have a problem with the gliding or flying animations, it made the Flying type Pokes seem much more mobile. There were a view problems I had with some animations:
- Vaporeon looks a bit awkward with its tail dragging along the ground.
- Metagross entering the battlefield and having the hitting ground animation before it actually touches the ground.
- All Pokes with smoke just look off, especially Torkoal.
- I feel that some Pokes have unnecessary animations, like Florges using its vines.
- Goo Pokemon are kind of awkward in animation too.

I think the fainting animations could have been better, like they were in Col/XD/Battle Rev.
Some of the fainting animations in console games were . . . over the top. Like Machamp. Every time one of them faints it's like "Why? Why? WHYYYYYY -- *collapses* " Or the way Xatu rocks increasingly back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.... Or -- actually, I don't think I even want to know what Marowak does with that bone club when it faints....

(Re: 001-151, 152-251)

But of course it goes both ways. For one, I always liked the way Jigglypuff just goes "pop!" when it fainted. (I also love Jolteon's 'hurt' animation, the way he spins back, then shakes off his head and just walks back into place.)

Last edited:
Why does everyone hate Mr. Mime's model? When I first saw it, I thought it was the cutest thing! ._.
I love whenever Mr. Mime faints, gets me every time
Yeah, that just cracks me up, as it looks like it's facepalming. I get a chuckle out of that every time I see it. It's kinda cute in a weird way.

I have no problem with Mr. Mime's 3D model, I'm just a little freaked out about how it's constantly moving. Yeah, I know why it's doing that but it just kinda creeps me out a bit.
I think the fainting animations could have been better, like they were in Col/XD/Battle Rev. Like Rosalia, which is supposed to hold its flower to its head and step backwards like it is actually fainting. Little things like that make it more...emotional. And if you don't want it, just let us recall quicker by pressing A mid-faint.
Or Gardevoir, who dropped to its knees with its hands clasped. Whenever I saw that, I felt so bad.

I agree that maybe some more effort should have been put into the fainting animations but I also feel the same about the animations when your Pokemon is hit. I loved it in XD when Roselia was hit by an attack and it would fall, then get up, put its "hands" on its hips and shoot the opponent a look as if to say, "How dare you?!" That indignant glare never failed to garner a laugh from either me or Prime. Something like that in X and Y would have been the icing on the cake for me. Too bad it didn't really happen.

After thinking about it, I find it strange for Pokemon like Tropius to fly but not flap their wings. Tropius could flap its "wings" at the very least, instead of looking like it's gliding in place. I haven't seen Xatu in X and Y yet, but just hearing about the fact that it flies in battle is just...no. I would rather see it stand than fly. Probably because I am so used to seeing Xatu stand on the ground. Maybe for Pokemon like Xatu, Dragonite, and Tropius, they could just stand on the ground in normal battles and then fly in Sky Battles. That would make Sky Battles visually more interesting imo.

Also, as others pointed out, why does Mega Blastoise use its mouth for moves like Aura Sphere and Hydro Cannon, but not its cannons? Are its cannons just for show or something? Other than what I have mentioned, I haven't seen anything that bothers me. I particularly like watching Charizard use Flamethrower, for example.

Most of the flying Pokémon like Salamence, Tropius and Xatu really look awkward flying permanently, I agree that they should've went with the standing models for them. Also, Haxorus looks pretty off to me.

Outside of them, I like most of the other models, particularly Froslass and Samurott.

I know I've said it in another thread, but it bugs the hell out of me that the crack in Golurk's chest is just a flat color and not a crack in the model. And I'm not going to get into the Xatu/Skarmory hovering issue. But some others:

Misdreavus: Its hair. Its hair looks so damn weird.
Musharna: That dream mist or whatever it is looks like a weave that is glued to its forehead. I never liked Musharna to begin with, but this cemented my distaste.
Ferroseed: Nothing against the model, I just miss how it used to spin while sitting there.
Lugia: I dunno what it is about it, but the flight animation, that... goofy floppiness it seems to have.
Pineco: Its eyes are painted on its scales! Or cone spines, whatever they are... They just look so flat.

On a side note, I am in love with Anorith's model. It's just so damn cute.

You know what they say about the Uncanny Valley? I had a eureka-moment the other day when mentally comparing Pokedex 3D's more-realistic rendering of Pokemon to XY's cel shading.

The cel-shading is more believable because you accept it as a stylized depiction of an otherwise "realistic" (i.e. believable, willing-to-suspend-disbelief) creature. Whereas when the rendering is wholly realistic, that's where the Uncanny Valley kicks in and you realize just how fake it looks. "It looks like a model/toy/statue/whatever".

Kinda like how some people complain about movies shot in 48fps instead of the standard 24.

Parasect's "shell" is oddly colored. From what I can tell, it's a shade of purple. From Gen II to Gen V, it's sprites all featured a red colored shell but the Sugimori art had purple. Is there a particular reason why there's such a discrepancy in its color?

Dragonite looks goofier than usual in X and Y, especially with that silly smile on its face. Worst of all, why didn't Game Freak bother changing its facial expression wheh it flinches? It looks like it enjoys getting hurt.

Dragonite looks goofier than usual in X and Y, especially with that silly smile on its face. Worst of all, why didn't Game Freak bother changing its facial expression wheh it flinches? It looks like it enjoys getting hurt.
Yeah, I'm with you. I wish that GF had given it the same "Up yours" expression that Iris' Dragonite had. That slightly angry look it had in Best Wishes was kinda awesome if you ask me; it should have carried over into the game.

Blastoise using its mouth to use Hydro Pump is very messed up, but I find even more messed up Charizard using Wing Attack with.... the tail.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom