• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY's 3D Models: The Good and the Bad

Something about Eelektross's model annoys me, as it looks far more smaller than it did in the Gen V games, which made Eelektross look great.

Raichu's tail bothers me. It should come to a sharp point but the battle model has it kind of squared off.

I don't know if anybody has seen Claydol's model but boy did they goof up on it. It's noticeable at first, but whenever the camera has the side by side shot you clearly see the blocky textures they used for it's eyes. The pupils don't even look like circles!

Raichu's tail bothers me. It should come to a sharp point but the battle model has it kind of squared off.

It's been like that since Gen IV;
Male Pikachu and Raichu have their classic tails
Female Pikachu have a heart-like tail
Female Raichu have a squared-off tail.

I'm not a fan of that difference but hey, it differentiates them.

Personally, the ones that really bug me are those that differ significantly from what we expect them to be. For instance, Ho-Oh, rather than showing off its amazing wings in an aggressive stance just looks like any other flier.
Purrloin is another one. Since when could it stand on its hind legs? o_O

Although I haven't seen it in battle, where is Cyndaquil's big boomy fire butt? :(

I like a lot of models, especially Darkrai, Reshiram, Lucario and such others.
But ones that bother me are Eleketross as... it was one of my favourites, it looked so cute and funny with it's little fins it jumped around on but now it looks like a cross betwen a leech and a snake and is wayy too small, I hope they improve this.
Another is Zekrom, but more so his colour... he looks too gray/greenish...

Xatu's model. I don't like it. It's just kinda floating there like a derp. Why couldn't it be sitting on the ground like in the past? It looked more like the epic vision-seeing bird it was supposed to be back then, and now it's just all, "hey I don't know how to land on the ground someone help"

Purrloin is another one. Since when could it stand on its hind legs? o_O

Always. In fact, it stands on its hind legs more often than it sits. Just watch the anime, read the manga, or look at the trading cards. It even stands in PokePark 2. The BW/BW2 and its official artwork are the only times it's shown sitting.
I don't do any of those things. To someone who only plays the games, it looks very odd.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the stale models of Litleo and Espurr in the Daycare.

Cofagrigus I think is the best so far, and that's not just because he's one of my favourites. Cofa's always looked badass. His fainting animation takes the cake. Other awesome ones include Deoxys in all forms [think of what he does with his arms] as well as Gigalith, especially the shiny form. Spiritomb. Galvantula is even more adorable. Resolute Keldeo. Xerneas' Close Combat animation.

Ralts is kind of bad. When it comes out of its Pokeball, there's that shot of its weird eyes. I don't think I have to mention the mons that glide. Marshtomp's face. Unpopular opinion but I really don't look the looks of the Froakie line. Mightyena looks like a grandad. Exploud needs to keep its mouth open at all times, lmao. Fearow looks like an ADHD parrot; the list goes on.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the stale models of Litleo and Espurr in the Daycare.

Cofagrigus I think is the best so far, and that's not just because he's one of my favourites. Cofa's always looked badass. His fainting animation takes the cake. Other awesome ones include Deoxys in all forms [think of what he does with his arms] as well as Gigalith, especially the shiny form. Spiritomb. Galvantula is even more adorable. Resolute Keldeo. Xerneas' Close Combat animation.

Ralts is kind of bad. When it comes out of its Pokeball, there's that shot of its weird eyes. I don't think I have to mention the mons that glide. Marshtomp's face. Unpopular opinion but I really don't look the looks of the Froakie line. Mightyena looks like a grandad. Exploud needs to keep its mouth open at all times, lmao. Fearow looks like an ADHD parrot; the list goes on.

Gotta agree on Exploud, and is it me or did it also get smaller? It might just be because it has it's mouth closed but it looks tiny when compared with it's sprites.

I can't determine if this means that the model is good or bad, but when I first saw Chimchar, I can't help but laugh.

I loved the coliseum/console Pokemon games where I could see my awesome pokemon in lush 3D, so I was really looking forward to this gen, purely because I could relive that experience on a handheld!

Admittedly some look a little goofy, but I think for the most part game freak actually did a great job. Hawlucha, the Mega evolutions, most legandaries look pretty sweet, and let's face it, anything is better than the junky, jerky, pixellated mess we saw in B+W, right?

Now the gen 6 cries are something I can complain about...

I'd say they did an excellent job on pretty much all the legends. I also like Archeops's animation; it's very well-animated and smooth. As for the bad ones... I really hate how they lightened up some of the colors, like on Raichu. It used to be a darker orange, but now it's more of a pastel orange (one of my least favorite colors). I'd also gripe about Xatu, Swellow, Tropius, etc if everyone hadn't already mentioned them already.

To be honest, I'm impressed. Considering they had to make models for over 700 or so characters, plus multiple animations and sometimes a Poke-Amie model for each, it's pleasantly surprising there's more good than bad.

Both Meowstic's 3D models before attacking look cool, but it's weird how possessed they look when they attack. With their Ears straight up and their eyes turning completely blank.

I really enjoy the 3D models. If I were to complain, it would be that some attack animations don't fit with the attack being used. For example, my Girafarig would use Stomp, but it lunges it's head up at the opponent.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom