• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY's 3D Models: The Good and the Bad

Like most everyone else, the hovering/flying models are a bit on the awkward side. They don't look too... natural (I own a pet bird, so I know how flapping and flying mechanics work). Some, like Scyther, Dragonite, and Salamence would look much better standing than floating in midair. But it's not enough to really... ruffle my feathers too badly, heheh. *shot*

However, I love most of the 3D models. Emboar, Krookodile, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Absol, Mienshao, Lucario, Seviper, Zangoose, Manectric, Garchomp, to name a few, look totally awesome. Way better than any old sprite could've produced. Though Mr. Mime's does make my skin crawl at times, since it NEVER STOPS MOVING, even when fainting! But overall, I have no real complaints, as the transition between sprites to 3D has been very, very smooth otherwise. Some minor gripes here and there, but nothing major enough to ruin it for me. So, overall, I'm quite pleased.

I'm no 3D-animation expert, but I do think the models look fantastic, even the birds. 8U Then again, I'm very easy-going and not too picky. I just wish they were a bit more colorful; the colors feel a bit, I dunno...dull and desaturated, I guess?

Gliding only works for Wingull :/ the rest look pretty unnatural to me. The flapping are okay, though.

And some of the Water-type pokemon look weird swimming in mid-air o_O

i think archeops is the only flying pokemon animation i like. i remain neutral to the "normal ones" (just standing there flapping) and i hate the ones that are just floating there. i mean, come on! if you want to make that silly sky battles make special models for it, and make better models for normal battles, it just looks weird

Anyone seen Raticate yet? That thing is ugly as hell! Its hands are huge and creepy D:

Chimchar looks kinda dumb imo, swinging its head from left to right like a metronome's needle.

I agree that most flying animations don't look as good as I'd hoped. Several of them, like Talonflame and Wingull, look pretty good and natural. But many others, e.g. Xatu and Charizard, would be better off with a separate non-sky battle model.

I feel that hair and fur don't look all that great, but the rest is really good. Anyone wonder what the games would look like without cel shading?
Toon-shader.jpg

Theres a huge differing between realistic and cartoon shaders

Attachments

• Toon-shader.jpg
    Toon-shader.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 157
The majority is well made, but what I liked the most is the fire effect in the 'mons (like infernape and emboar).
Adn the models that didn't catch my fancy:
Muk is kinda creepy, the thing is constantly moving like jelly, and its hand.. Eww.
And about the flying animations, imo scyther doesn't look unnatural, but can't say the same about Xatu.. That is weird, The usual standing pose is way cooler. And salamence, tropius and skarmory don't even flap their wings. If dragonite can fly with those little wings, salamence too.
And talking about fire, I didn't like at all that cyndaquil line have their flames hidden. Finally, just like everyone: blastoise and its cannons, samurott has its sword animation and Kalos starters their special move animation.. Talk about lazy.

Torkoal's smoke. It's disgusting and looks like a tumor. Gastly had the gaseous body made well, Koffing + Weezing had slightly cheesy looking smoke, but it fit well. Torkoal can suck it, however. And one of the best... IDK they just look like themselves. But I really like the starters. They all look much cuter. Pikachu looks fatter than a Snorlax, though.

No matter what anyone says, I think Togekiss looks the worst because of its model. Frankly, it looks like an ugly boomerang. It looks slightly better in Amie, since its wings are more closed, but it's really discouraging.

I thought Togekiss was ugly by design :p Never been a fan of it, really.

But I don't really have any problems with models other than Sky Battle eligible ones always flying. Otherwise they are all nice at worst and amazing at best.

Some of the regional birds middle evolutions look awkward: Staravia and Tranquill, to be specific. Also, I agree with Blastoise; it's making great use of those cannons...or not. :disgust:

As for my favorites, there are some that I like just because they're so cute (like Aron, Munna, and Swirlix) or they look beautifully done (like Roserade, both versions of Absol, and Serperior).

Rapidash. The fire effects on it are.... okay, I guess. Not the best, but passable. What really bugs me is the animations. Why is it so stiff?

As for my favorites, Lucario, Gardevoir, Absol, etc. The ones with mega evos seem to have been given more attention. (Blastoise notwithstanding)

Tropius is really awkward too :U

There's this big dinosaur tree thing, just floating around...
It's just... Weird...

I like Froslass' 3D model since she's swaying left and right constantly. It looks like she's dancing. Also, I like how she giggles every now and then :)

Salamence, Dragonite and Charizard look bad in 3D. Would much rather them be on the ground for other flying types I'm indifferent about.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom