• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS01: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I~

Re: SS029: "~ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I

Yes, Mega Abomasnow and Mega Gyarados had trainers, at the beginning you can clearly see trainers commanding, it's not even difficult to spot them....

That clearly depends on the quality of the video though, so it's easy to miss, especially as they only were visible for like one second.

Re: SS029: "~ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act I

Yes, Mega Abomasnow and Mega Gyarados had trainers, at the beginning you can clearly see trainers commanding, it's not even difficult to spot them....

That clearly depends on the quality of the video though, so it's easy to miss, especially as they only were visible for like one second.

Video removed

Nah.. it's easy to notice unless you watched something very, very blurry lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Video removed

Nah.. it's easy to notice unless you watched something very, very blurry lol

Which most raws tend to be you mean? Not to mention that the clip you sent weren't a very good example. Though it's really an individual matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reminder that you can't post full episodes/specials here, as it violates our rules on copyright.

I just wanna sayand netire episode involving mega evolutionsis awesome. lysandre appearing fantastic. An Elite Four member with a Mega evolution makes me proud. Charizard's x Mega evolution appearing insane, and being the focus massive insanity. The fact that all this happened in one episode, and there being so much left to tell story wise, is just freakin astounding keep it up xy team and maybe Pokemon can last for another 17 years. Again this was freakin awesome, and I dont even speak japanese.

This was so awesome. I loved seeing all the Megas. The battles were amazingly done and Blast Burn looked awesome. I'm surprised Absol wasn't totally scorched. But my all time favorite was Mega Blastoise's Dragon Pulse. I liked how all of the Pokémon had some sort of accessory to hold their Mega Stone.

Alan was cool. I liked seeing his and Charizard's relationship and he seems to be a really competent battler. Manon got on my nerves though. All of that falling down got really annoying fast. Though I do like how she names her Pokémon.

I was surprised that Ash got mentioned here. I really liked the scene where Alan and Sycamore were talking in his garden and all the Pokémon came up to them to get petted. Especially that Psyduck. Overall, I enjoyed the special and can't wait to see it continue. 8/10.

These battles were so fantastic! I nearly drooled at how action packed they were.

Seeing Blast Burn for the first time was nice, but my as the above user said Mega Blastoise's Dragon Pulse was just the most wonderful thing ever. I hope it gets animated like that from now on.

This Special was Alright for Me. Alan was Okay I guess. Manon was Funny I thought, BUT, the Falling Down Gag was getting Old but her Chespin was Good. LOL, I Never Knew that Siebold was part Chef LOL. The Mega Pokemon WERE REALLY COOL I THOUGHT. Overall, I'd Give this a 7.

But My Favorite Parts were Ash getting Mentioned and Lysandre CAMEO FTW, I LOVED HIS APPEARANCE, just seeing him for 5-8 Seconds, I have to say this but Lysandre's Cameo was AWESOMETACULIAR.

This was so awesome. I loved seeing all the Megas. The battles were amazingly done and Blast Burn looked awesome. I'm surprised Absol wasn't totally scorched. But my all time favorite was Mega Blastoise's Dragon Pulse. I liked how all of the Pokémon had some sort of accessory to hold their Mega Stone.

Alan was cool. I liked seeing his and Charizard's relationship and he seems to be a really competent battler. Manon got on my nerves though. All of that falling down got really annoying fast. Though I do like how she names her Pokémon.

I was surprised that Ash got mentioned here. I really liked the scene where Alan and Sycamore were talking in his garden and all the Pokémon came up to them to get petted. Especially that Psyduck. Overall, I enjoyed the special and can't wait to see it continue. 8/10.

Oh my gosh, the Psyduck! That was too cute! AND WHY WASN'T IT SHOWN LOVE IN RETURN. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHA-

I apologize.

Wow. This special was amazing. The best yet. I loved everything about it. Everything. I can't possibly focus my brain and thoughts to write a coherent review, so I'll just say what is pouring out of my head into the keyboard of my laptop:

-Dragon Pulse. DRAGON PULSE. I agree with everyone. That looks so amazing! I pray to God they keep that as the animation of the move for now and forever instead of that green-aura-sphere-ball-looking-crap they have used before. And the fact we got to see it twice. My word. Not only does it reflect the in-game version, but then some! What an amazing and beautiful move. My goodness.

-Alan. I really like Alan's character. We haven't had someone as mature and badass as him since Wes. I think its refreshing and he clearly has a bond with Charizard that is equal more or less to Ashs. Maybe I shouldn't even compare...but I can't help it when other characters are given depth with their partner Pokemon rather than main characters. I'm not clear of his goal, but if it is to challenge all Mega Evolutions (I think it is?) then all power to him!

-Manon! I love her! I know everyone isn't fond of her quirk, but I loved her falling. Her spunky, energetic character compliments Alan's very well, I love the synergy. And I love her outfit too, just everything. And her Chespin!!! If its one thing the anime does well, its making me see Pokemon in a new light. Chespin is now my favorite XY starter and I plan to do a new game with it. Yes. The way it used Vine Whip to save Manon from falling was amazing and well done. And her quickness in capturing the Flabebe was pretty well done too. I was wondering how the animators would handle its anime appearance, and I must say I am impressed. Also, Toxic's new mechanic of caging the opponent is pretty cool.

-The Mega Evolutions. Outstanding. Now I have zero awkwardness in using them/imagining how they would carry out in animation. I must say though, those are high level battles. I'm surprised Alan and Ayaka didn't level the whole forest!

-The fact that Ash's Lumiose City exploits were known by Manon makes me smile. I'm glad he is the talk of the town/latest news story. It makes things very realistic you know? I hope that follows him around for a while when he visits other people/news reporters, similar to how Leonardo DiCaprio is associated with the Titanic or Sandra Bullock and The Blind Side, etc etc.

-Siebold was amazing (I keep that using that word, but so giddy!) and I love Blastoise (and Mega Blastoise) so much more now. I'm glad his title of Elite 4 wasn't taken lightly and he won, with his Pokemon barely taking damage. However, I have beef with the fact that he was challenged just like that. Alan ain't that special. Where are his eight badges? Just having a mega stone doesn't cut it for me -.-

The Battles

Mega Charizard X vs Mega Absol
-It was great. I think Absol should have gotten more hits in and used a Sucker Punch or two, but hey. Blast Burn was explosive, and as I said earlier, I'm surprised the forest wasn't burned down or leveled. But overall great battle.

Mega Charizard X vs Mega Garchomp
-This was okay. Very very fast paced. Also, still meh about Garchomp being able to fly.

Chespin vs Flabebe
-Yay, a "breather" battle with no Mega Evolutions. I really liked the animation of the moves and Flabebe. Toxic was great too. I just wish Chespin would have attacked once more to do a actual damage, but overall it was great. Better than the previous battle -.-

Mega Charizard X vs Mega Blastoise
-What should have happened in Origins

Just kidding. Beautiful. My eyes are still in ecstasy. The music was great and fitting (if they dub this, THEY BETTER KEEP IT SO HELP ME), the animation was flawless and I loved all the moves. That Dragon Pulse tho. One of the best battles in the whole series, rivaling Ash vs Paul at the Sinnoh League and Nando vs Zoey at the Grand Festival. Wow.

This was amazing and I can't wait until the next parts. I would also like for Ash and his co to meet with Alan and his. (interactions between Manon, Serena and Bonnie!) 10/10. Wow. SO amazing.

man, some people should press charges against these guys for all the property damage, lawsuit culture would go a long way in the pokemon universe

good episode, good animation, besides my usual qualm about animators going way overboard with smoke and dust in battles. i felt damn sorry for absol.

It appears to be a Latiasite.

Oh, I forgot a picture of these leaked a while ago... I guess we might get some event for this soon then if they're already showing it in the anime

Come to think of it, there was no sign of the Mega Gyarados or Abomasnow carrying a Mega Stone, was there? They're most likely wild, too, and they aren't even an exception like Mewtwo. So much for Sycamore's "Mega Evolution requires a strong bond" theory.

I just checked and as others said, we do see the figure of their trainers... it's only the Mewtwo who seem to truly be wild and mysteriously in their mega evolved forms

The Charizard was raised from a Charmander he was friends with at Sycamore's lab.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the dialogue properly explained the Charmander's origins... for all we know, Alan already had it with him when he visited Sycamore (it could have just been playing around with the other pkmn, it wasn't necessarily Sycamore's)
So we can only guess that he possibly got it from Sycamore since we know he gives the Kanto starters in game, but I don't think we can really say that as a fact

Oh my gosh, the Psyduck! That was too cute! AND WHY WASN'T IT SHOWN LOVE IN RETURN. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. WHA-

lmao I thought the same! Alan like completely ignored it, poor thing

man, some people should press charges against these guys for all the property damage, lawsuit culture would go a long way in the pokemon universe

good episode, good animation, besides my usual qualm about animators going way overboard with smoke and dust in battles. i felt damn sorry for absol.

There was only one key animator for this special, Iwane Masa'aki. What's wrong with smoke and dust? He likes to animate it and it looks interesting.

Oh, I forgot a picture of these leaked a while ago... I guess we might get some event for this soon then if they're already showing it in the anime.
Upon closer inspection, the stone appears to be more similar to the Manectite than to any other existing stone. I just wonder why they would bother being mysterious about it.

I freaked out when I saw Lysandre.

I wonder if these specials will introduce Lysandre and then lead to Lysandre's grand scheme outside of these specials? These 'acts' are clearly canon so Lysandre exists in the same universe. I wonder if we will get any interactions between Sycamore and Lysandre? I think that so far, Lysandre is reseaching Mega Evolution (they definitely left Mega Gyarados for him, instead of giving it to Siebold) and that after these specials he will start acting upon his plans.

Being a huge Lysandre fan I think you could imagine my reaction when I saw the screenshots on a social networking site that I then went to go and watch the show. It looks good and I hope it does good. I hope they don't do what they did to Cyrus in the anime and make him uhm, you know what happens to him in the end.
Below are some X and Y spoilers and some Pokemon Origin spoilers.
What I really hope is what they did with Giovanni in Pokemon Origins, I loved that. Making him turn good in the end was awesome and I love that in animes. So maybe if Lysandre realizes his goals were morally wrong and uses his strength and intelligence for something better I'd be pretty pleased, if not and they kill him... Rage quit for the Lysandre fan.

I thought the special was a bit of a chore to sit through.

The main problem I had with it was that it pretty much had no plot whatsoever. When we weren't watching a(n admittedly well-animated) battle then we had to sit through the characters talking about battling or setting up the battling or talking about Mega Stones or Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I mean, obviously the point of the whole thing is ISN'T MEGA EVOLUTION THE BEST THING EVAR!!!1!!1! but the lack of any sort of story progression or character growth really made the whole thing seem pointless. Just battle after battle.

The characters weren't really anything special either. With Alan it's pretty obvious that the writers want us to wonder what's driving him to beat all the Mega Evolutions but they made him so freaking bland that I can't bring myself to care enough about him to bother finding out. And Manon is just a bad Jun / Bel clone who only exists to deliver exposition. Ayaka is just there, Zumi comes off as a bad Sanyou triplets clone...the only character I actually enjoyed watching was Rui, and that's mainly because of his voice actor.

Maybe Act II will be better. Maybe it'll actually have something resembling a plot (pleeeeeeeeease don't suck, Flare-Dan) and maybe the characters will get fleshed out more. But as a stand-alone...Act I is not something I'm going to rewatch too often.

At least the battles look pretty.

A few quick thoughs, I'll post more later:

1. My God, Chespin launched an Itano Circus. That alone was enough to make this episode awesome.

2. I was half-expecting Alan to say "you are already fainted".

3. Dat ending. Megaton.

I have a feeling somewhere during his journey, Alan left the professor and teamed with Lysandre. He still has good heart as Manon said but his quest for power set him to the wrong way, just like the comment Ayaka made after they battled.

I really like how they use specials, movies and anime episodes to make the story more deep.

I liked this special way more than the 4-part Origin thing.

I reckon Alan was bland, but it's not like there were a lot of important characters like him in this particular series. I think we'll find out more about him and what made him change. In the flashback he wasn't all serious and loner-like.
My guess is that something happened between him and Lysandre, then he changed, and is now working under him. That was definitely not the professor's voice.

I'm also glad Satoshi exists for this special. It's called "special" for a reason but I kind of hope the stories meet. I want Flare-dan being important in the normal storyline... It would be a bummer if they isolated it for the special alone.
And Alan could be a nice rival and GOOD excuse for Satoshi's defeat in the league after the disaster of Isshu.

IMO there should have been more side-stories during the series. Just without isolating the characters. More like, we have Satoshi-tachi, and we have this/these other character(s) travelling for their own reasons, and sooner or later they meet, their stories connect, etc.

I liked this special. The battles were amazing (Dragon Pulse o.o) and that alone was enough to keep me hooked. Alan isn't particularly interesting but trainers wanting to defeat all the X Pokémon they come across is pretty standard fare so I just rolled with it. Also, I just liked seeing an actual member of the Elite Four, in the flesh, showing us that they actually exist, after BW mostly disappointed in that regard. Kind of annoyed that they basically brought Bianca back from the dead with Manon (thought she was a boy at first) but since she shows ambition as a trainer and hasn't degenerated into a failure of a trainer who seems to exist more for comic relief than anything else the way Bianca did......... I'll give her a chance. I really liked the use of old music too. I can't wait for the next parts. Of course, I don't know Japanese, so that probably increased my enjoyment of the special. lol.

I liked this special way more than the 4-part Origin thing.

I reckon Alan was bland, but it's not like there were a lot of important characters like him in this particular series. I think we'll find out more about him and what made him change. In the flashback he wasn't all serious and loner-like.
My guess is that something happened between him and Lysandre, then he changed, and is now working under him. That was definitely not the professor's voice.

I'm also glad Satoshi exists for this special. It's called "special" for a reason but I kind of hope the stories meet. I want Flare-dan being important in the normal storyline... It would be a bummer if they isolated it for the special alone.
And Alan could be a nice rival and GOOD excuse for Satoshi's defeat in the league after the disaster of Isshu.

IMO there should have been more side-stories during the series. Just without isolating the characters. More like, we have Satoshi-tachi, and we have this/these other character(s) travelling for their own reasons, and sooner or later they meet, their stories connect, etc.

Aside from Origins whose entire point was to be Something Completely Different, pretty much all the special episodes take place in the main anime's continunity; why would this be any different? I kind of feel like the writers were obligated to mention Ash though, since this is one of the few specials that doesn't star people we already know are connected to Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom