• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS03: Mega Evolution Special III

As for saving his life, must have missed that part, if she did I am sure they could have had Steven or someone else do it. Not some girl who thinks her brand new chespin has ice beam.

Steven was trying to hold the Primals back and he can't leave the chopper when there's also people on it. It was all Steven could do to let Metagross protect Mairin and Alain instead while leaving the chopper vurnerable - risking his AND the other people's life (the pilot, navigator, engineers, etc). Consider the availability of pokemon that could withstand the attacks of the Weather Gods AND the people involved who might die with one wrong move at that moment. Mairin going to save Alain was the most logical plot choice given the sitiation.

Like if she said Solarbeam at least it would be slightly forgiveable.

Yes. Quite the situation for a Solarbeam when the weather is absolute chaos there with the Weather Gods fighting to death. With Primal Kyogre taking over every other second, sunlight would be rarely available. Consider the situation.

She ruins the whole special for me, personally i dont see her as vital to the plot, if she is because she saved Alain, get someone else.

It sounds like you're bitter that a ten-year-old rookie girl saved a teenage boy who uses Megazard. She's literally the reason Alain isn't already dead by now. She's vital to the plot. You saw how Alain was this cold, lone boy working for Lysandre at first, but with every episode he's opening up to her and he's showing more care for her. She's bringing out the warm human inside of him, and giving Alain more room to grow and mature as a mentor and big brother figure. She'll be his support when he finally realizes that he's been working for the bad guy.

I agree with those who feel that Mairin is NOT useless. Granted, this is the first Mega Evolution special I've seen (since I thought I was going to watch the Noibat episode, but decided to stay with it), but I feel she's a key of sorts. She's a key to unlock who Alain really is, not the "soldier" that Lysander has turned him into. Every little bit she does slowly opens his true self back into the world, slowly shedding Lysander's "programmed" lies with each step. I mean, if a 10 year-old rookie trainer is willing to risk her life to help him, willingly diving into the fray of three god-like beasts brawling, and on her own power protecting him the best she can (which proved to be quite a bit), I say that's pretty major. She's not useless, not at all, as everything she does will slowly remove the shackles that hold Alain's real personality down. I think she'll be the catalyst in getting Alain to see the light and be a part of shutting (or at least delaying) Lysander's plans (the latter seems more accurate, as it will eventually cross over into Ash's "world"). So, no, Mairin is not useless. What she does may seem small at times, but everything adds up. Alain even gave her a genuine, albeit hesitant at first, hug when she hugged him out of worry. So Mairin's presence is essential to these specials, making her NOT useless.
Thanks for putting this into words! This is exactly the reason why Mairin is so essential to the acts even if it only seems like she just now did something vital. Since the day she met Alain, Mairin has slowly started to grow on him and she became the first close person to him since Sycamore as Alain was basically only out traveling and battling and doing errands for Lysandre.

I think Mairin will play a key role in getting Alain to leave Lysandre, hence the red and green colors of the Act IV title, which could symbolize Lysandre and Mairing respectively and Alain's conflicted feelings.

Steven was trying to hold the Primals back and he can't leave the chopper when there's also people on it. It was all Steven could do to let Metagross protect Mairin and Alain instead while leaving the chopper vurnerable - risking his AND the other people's life (the pilot, navigator, engineers, etc). Consider the availability of pokemon that could withstand the attacks of the Weather Gods AND the people involved who might die with one wrong move at that moment. Mairin going to save Alain was the most logical plot choice given the sitiation.

Like if she said Solarbeam at least it would be slightly forgiveable.

Yes. Quite the situation for a Solarbeam when the weather is absolute chaos there with the Weather Gods fighting to death. With Primal Kyogre taking over every other second, sunlight would be rarely available. Consider the situation.

She ruins the whole special for me, personally i dont see her as vital to the plot, if she is because she saved Alain, get someone else.

It sounds like you're bitter that a ten-year-old rookie girl saved a teenage boy who uses Megazard. She's literally the reason Alain isn't already dead by now. She's vital to the plot. You saw how Alain was this cold, lone boy working for Lysandre at first, but with every episode he's opening up to her and he's showing more care for her. She's bringing out the warm human inside of him, and giving Alain more room to grow and mature as a mentor and big brother figure. She'll be his support when he finally realizes that he's been working for the bad guy.

im not bitter cos shes 10.

I just hate the character, maybe she fulfils certain roles in the plot, but that is nothing to do with how they designed her character, she dresses like a wannabe hipster, has the most annoying voice, and comes up with the most derpy moments, she's practically a stalker, she met Alain in the woods and followed him ever since despite him not wanting her to, dont she have something else to do with her time?

im not a fan of bonnie, but she is 10x better than Marin.

As for the solarbeam thing, i mean at least its a grass type move so it would make a bit of sense for chespin to have it, but Ice Beam??? I've not seen anything so dumb in the entire show since OS001, even beginners are not that bad.

She's just so irritating and annoying.

As for the solarbeam thing, i mean at least its a grass type move so it would make a bit of sense for chespin to have it, but Ice Beam??? I've not seen anything so dumb in the entire show since OS001, even beginners are not that bad.

Emboar can learn Scald

Lucario can use Blaze Kick

Aggron can use Brick Break

Cubone/Marowak can use Ice Beam

These are just a few of the Pokemon that can learn moves that they are weak against.

If you're a rookie trainer are going to instantly know what a Pokemon can or cannot learn?

\Seriously, asking Chespie to use Ice Beam? I can’t even anymore. Who the hell doesn't know what moves their own Pokemon knows?

I don't think its fair to criticize someone for not knowing EVERY single move a single Pokemon can learn.

It's not that she doesn't know everything Chespin as a species can learn. It's the fact that she seemed not to know that her own Chespin didn't know the move. She said it like she 100% knew (or thought) Chespie knew Ice Beam.

she said it out of heat exhaustion.

I remember trying to make a video for Youtube in my shed when it was near 100 degrees, I had a hard time speaking properly or saying what I want and nothing came out right. If there was a grass Pokemon next to me in that situation, I probably would've told it to use some kind of attack to cool down the temperature, and then realizing afterwards "oh right, you can't use that move". In fact if you were to watch my video, with my mentioning that the heat is making me feel, it's very clear the heat was affecting my ability to make my video the way that I intended it to.

Marin wanted to be cold, said to her Pokemon to use ice beam, because it would've cooled her off. Obviously she wasn't thinking clearly, because right after Chespin refused Marin said "Oh yeah" as indicating that Chespin cannot use Ice beam.

STILL not seeing the criticism since she wasn't battling against a Pokemon and called it out in a natural state.

Last edited:
Manon is his emotional foil. Every tough guy needs one of those ya know ;-)

It's a rule--heck, practically a law--in the Anime Industry.

Plus, it's not like we get to see her enough for her be developed properly. Though I think she's developed just enough with the limited time she's been given. Slow and subtle development, even if she's not as proactive as everyone else

Remember: the poor kid has only appeared in 3, soon to be 4, half-hour specials--very busy, crowded, somewhat rushed ones at that--aired about 4-6 months apart. It's not like she's truly gotten time to really grow & change like characters from the Show or a Movie.
Hopefully she'll get more when or if she becomes a recurring one (maybe an honorary Ash-tachii member?) on the Show.

Last edited:
Only thing I really had to complain about from the dub's version was calling it "the giant rock", what's so hard about calling it a Megalith or something. :/ While I've said in the past that Steven's dub voice annoys me I honestly didn't have a problem with it this time around and I have no idea why...

Yeah, I still don't know why they didn't keep it as the Megalith - like, does Jimmy Zoppi think the audience is that clueless?

And I'm still surprised they didn't get Steven a new actor, too. But, his voice doesn't bother me this time around either. I say we probably have the new voice director, Theresa Buchheister to thank for that.

Hopefully she'll get more when or if she becomes a recurring one (maybe an honorary Ash-tachii member?) on the Show.

:O LORD HAVE MERCY!!!

Imagine her and Bonnie together!!! I've been watching the Pokemon anime for over 15 years, I even managed to sit through the AG series the whole way, but the 2 of them together (Bonnie and Marin) would be enough to finally make me quit

Was the music changed in the dub? It doesn't matter to me if it was. I'm just curious.

Anyway, as for the special itself, it was great. If only AG did the Groudon/Kyogre showdown like this. Also, Marin finally got a moment to shine.

Last edited:
Was the music changed in the dub? It doesn't matter to me if it was. I'm just curious.

Yeah, the music was changed. But I don't mind it since I'm a fan of the orchestrated tracks the dub uses for these episodes, as well the theme that plays when Alain and Steven take on the Primals.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom