• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XYS06: The Strongest Duo! Citron and Dent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what if they make Iris appear in Serena's special? Iris honestly just seems to be chasing dragon types and there are definitely some in Hoenn for her to look at. I wouldn't be surprised if Iris did appear with Serena.

He's gonna show Clemont how real male companion does things!

No really, he's going to teach him how to actually DO something.

I like Cilan and all, but I don't remember him being too active in BW. Granted, it's been awhile since I've seen the series, but Cilan was pretty much just there. His personality and comedy bits made him less prone to standing in the background compared to say Brock, but his character pretty much went nowhere fast, which I could say for a lot of the BW characters. Clemont may not have had much to do between his Gym battle with Ash and Team Flare, but at least he actually had a storyline and character development to go with him. That and his personality still made him stand out well enough in my opinion.

Well what if they make Iris appear in Serena's special? Iris honestly just seems to be chasing dragon types and there are definitely some in Hoenn for her to look at. I wouldn't be surprised if Iris did appear with Serena.

I don't know about that. Iris was in Johto when they ended her special and she was just chasing after Rayquaza. Sure, Hoenn has Dragon types she could look for, but that was the same kind of reasoning behind why she'd show up in XY. I remember people even claiming that she'd chase Rayquaza into Kalos for some reason. Plus, if Serena does get a special, it would most likely be about her going into a Contest, which wouldn't really work with Iris. I also don't really see the benefit of Serena and Iris meeting each other besides just keeping that tradition alive through specials. I could see Cilan and Clemont getting along, but I don't see how Serena and Iris would really click, aside from making them instant best friends like they did with Dawn. It's not impossible, especially when Cilan is getting a return to meet with Clemont, but I think it's pretty unlikely right now due to Serena's goal and her character in general not really working with Iris.

So Cilan is coming back. That is cool but unfortunately I am not hyped enough after what happened in the Kalos saga.

I don't know about that. Iris was in Johto when they ended her special and she was just chasing after Rayquaza. Sure, Hoenn has Dragon types she could look for, but that was the same kind of reasoning behind why she'd show up in XY. I remember people even claiming that she'd chase Rayquaza into Kalos for some reason. Plus, if Serena does get a special, it would most likely be about her going into a Contest, which wouldn't really work with Iris. I also don't really see the benefit of Serena and Iris meeting each other besides just keeping that tradition alive through specials. I could see Cilan and Clemont getting along, but I don't see how Serena and Iris would really click, aside from making them instant best friends like they did with Dawn. It's not impossible, especially when Cilan is getting a return to meet with Clemont, but I think it's pretty unlikely right now due to Serena's goal and her character in general not really working with Iris.

They could just insert Iris in there for a brief 2 second shot in Hoenn, probably trying to find out more about the Rayquaza incident there.

They could just insert Iris in there for a brief 2 second shot in Hoenn, probably trying to find out more about the Rayquaza incident there.

What value would something like that have though? It would give Iris a cameo appearance, but it wouldn't really accomplish much. She wouldn't have any kind of progression or insight into her goal, she wouldn't interact with Serena and she'd just be there for the shake of a tradition. It would be virtually meaningless and not really appealing for fans of her character either. Going to Hoenn to learn more about Rayquaza makes more sense than going to Kalos for that same reason, but much like the theories about how Iris could end up in Kalos, it sounds more like something she could do on her own than something to bring her and Serena together. Serena wouldn't be able to help with something like that and I don't see how their two goals could collide either.

I'm disappointed we won't get to see a special with Serena, considering all the potential there, but this should be fun to watch at least

Well it's nice to see Cilan making another comeback, even if a lot of people are unhappy about this. Trust me, it's far better than having Iris return. Yeesh that gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Aside from animation and story, this episode is going to attract a lot of fans. Both Citron's and Dent's voice actors are very popular, and getting to hear them together in one episode is going to be fantastic :D

So Cilan is basically a fisherman now? I'll give the writers props for consistency, after all he did leave Kanto two seconds after his arrival as he had to go to Johto and compete in Mr. Briney's fishing tournament.

Writers did nothing with his Pokémon Connoisseur goal during the entire Best Wishes series, it's unreal to expect they would do something with it now, but I would prefer if Cilan had arrived in Kalos to be a judge at a Pokémon Showcase. Santo from the Dendemille Showcase was a Connoisseur, right? Not that I wanted to see another awful Showcase, but they could mention that he came to Kalos for this reason rather than to participate in a random fishing competition.

I don't see the problem with him going to Johto because of that. As much as Cilan is a Connoisseur, he also quite loves fishing and I think he's proven that fishing is his second favourite hobby, if being a Connoisseur is considered a hobby. Sure he did as much fishing as he did detective work, but I feel like the detective thing came about more so because those situations required some logical thinking in order to solve the problems, whereas Cilan showed his love for fishing whenever he could. Plus, it would be weird for Cilan to hear of a competition occurring somewhere else, by someone like Mr. Briney and not want to go, since he did leave his Gym to go travelling with Ash for all that time.

And as far as his Connoisseur quest goes, I think he did pursue his goal every now and then, and apart from that, being a Connoisseur has to do with evaluating the relationships between Pokemon and their trainer's, and that sort of forethought was put to use in other things, like when he did detective work and when he did similar critical thinking, like in the episode after Emolga was caught. Plus, him being around his fellow trainer's and their Pokemon could have also helped his evaluating.
Well being a BW fan myself, I'm definitely happy with this. Even more so that that went with Cilan instead of Iris since, let's face it, Cilan got the short end of the stick for the majority.

How so? I'm fairly certain Cilan and Iris got the same amount of attention with the episodes that each focused on themselves and their interactions in the other episodes. At least enough equal attention that is enough to not notice any favouritism for either character.
I don't know...it got to where he didn't make as many inventions as he used to.

Plus, considering how many of blew up for a running gag instead actually serving their stated purposes, I have to question his usefulness there.

I think a lot of Clemont's inventions self destructed less and less as the series went on and don't forget, while Ash and Greninja didn't keep the Battle Pulse Meters, I'm sure they did help them to want to perfect Ash-Greninja form. And if you look at the list of his inventions, then after XY068, there were five failure's before the one that exploded in his final appearance in the last normal episode of XY. And two others exploded, but one almost worked and the other kind of accomplished it's purpose due to it exploding. The rest were successes.
I hope Cilan asks about all the death and destruction Kalos went through, or say something to acknowledge that he heard about the Team Flare incident. I know the world gets fucked over all the time, but that should still have been big news to the rest of the world. At the very least, have him learn about it in the episode.

Although that might be nice, I also think that would be a kind of unnecessary plug for those events and it's not like Cilan would have explicitly seen Clemont and Bonnie's participation, so him talking about it with two random people would seem a bit weird, especially since everything seems to be pretty much back to normal and with what Cilan experienced with what Team Rocket planned in Unova, it would probably might not seem all that weird to him, as you said, destruction in Pokemon isn't all that shocking to some people. And I'd rather the time that they spend together be better spent talking about other things, since there's also a dangerous situation occurring in this episode.
Just waiting for the return of the great Stunfisk.

You and me both. :p
So Cilan is coming back. That is cool but unfortunately I am not hyped enough after what happened in the Kalos saga.

You mean since Kalos was so good that this would seem less exciting? I agree, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy this.
Well it's nice to see Cilan making another comeback, even if a lot of people are unhappy about this. Trust me, it's far better than having Iris return. Yeesh that gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

She still could. If Cilan can appear in a Clemont special and Iris's special aired five or so months after Best Wishes ended, then I'm sure Iris could still appear and I hope she does.

She still could. If Cilan can appear in a Clemont special and Iris's special aired five or so months after Best Wishes ended, then I'm sure Iris could still appear and I hope she does.

To each their own i suppose.

I don't see the problem with him going to Johto because of that. As much as Cilan is a Connoisseur, he also quite loves fishing and I think he's proven that fishing is his second favourite hobby, if being a Connoisseur is considered a hobby. Sure he did as much fishing as he did detective work, but I feel like the detective thing came about more so because those situations required some logical thinking in order to solve the problems, whereas Cilan showed his love for fishing whenever he could. Plus, it would be weird for Cilan to hear of a competition occurring somewhere else, by someone like Mr. Briney and not want to go, since he did leave his Gym to go travelling with Ash for all that time.

And as far as his Connoisseur quest goes, I think he did pursue his goal every now and then, and apart from that, being a Connoisseur has to do with evaluating the relationships between Pokemon and their trainer's, and that sort of forethought was put to use in other things, like when he did detective work and when he did similar critical thinking, like in the episode after Emolga was caught. Plus, him being around his fellow trainer's and their Pokemon could have also helped his evaluating.

Cilan left the Unova region and traveled through the Decolore Islands because he wanted to visit Kanto. Then, he arrived in Kanto and one minute later he decided to head to Johto to participate in a fishing competition. Don't you find that a little weird? I mean, his intention was to visit the home region of his friend, but as soon as he got there he changed his mind.

Honestly I feel that Cilan's Connoisseur goal went nowhere. I blame the writers for turning the Pokétch's Friendship Checker app into a career path for a main character, limiting what they could do with Cilan throughout the series (and that's why despite having more hobbies than the XY quartet combined, Cilan's still so shallow), but they did very very little with his goal. I think there were only three instances in which Cilan's goal served some purpose. (1) when he helped Iris realize all Excadrill wanted to hear was "I'm sorry," and his expertise wasn't really needed because everyone could have helped with that (2) when he offered battle tips to Chilli and Pansear (3) when he discovered the favorite Pokémon of that little weird and ugly rich girl by spending half an episode sniffing around like a damn dog.

These three episodes aside, I have a hard time finding episodes in which Cilan's Connoisseur (focus on that word, not his other hobbies) skills were useful. Sure he was around Trainers and Pokémon all the time, but then again you can say that about literally every other character in the anime. I think this helped Serena a whole lot more than it did for Cilan, because it eventually made her realize she was as active as a plant (except plants do photosynthesis and Serena did nothing for more than 40 episodes). I'm not denying being surrounded by Trainers and Pokémon could have helped Cilan with his goal, all I'm saying is that in the end it did not help him at all. We never got to see Cilan taking advantage of a thing he discovered by observing the behavior of his friends. We never got to see Cilan bonding with his own Pokémon. He did not improve his own relationships with his Pokémon, they were stale. You can say how the relationships between Iris and her Excadrill (and Dragonite) got better over time, but Cilan always treated his Pokémon the same way. A Connoisseur's goal is to improve the relationship between Trainers and Pokémon, and Cilan failed to do that for himself. All he did was scream "It's <insert hobby here> time" during the entire Best Wishes series.

The VA list.

Ash: Rica Matsumoto

Clemont: Yūki Kaji

Bonnie: Mariya Ise

Cilan: Mamoru Miyano

Pikachu: Ikue Ohtani

Dedenne: Megumi Satō

Chespin: Hitomi Nabatame

Pansage: Chika Fujimura

Fishing officials: Tsuguo Mogami

Clawitzer: Kensuke Satō

Eelektross: Kiyotaka Furushima

Here are two new summaries of the episode, which Dephender translated.

Pokémon Connoisseur Cilan appears! He works with Clemont to save Bonnie after she has boarded a runaway subway train!
Also, the new series finally starts! We have early info for you!!

In a fishing tournament in Lumiose City, Clemont and Bonnie meet the Pokémon Connoisseur Cilan. Cilan tells them he'd like to go to the Prism Tower, so Clemont and Bonnie decide to guide him. But when Cilan requests that they travel via the subway, and accident occurs. A driverless subway train starts moving while Bonnie is on board! What will Clemont and Cilan do!?

I think instead of the female companion returning we will have a new "tradition" of the male companions meeting in specials. LOL

Anyway I love Cilan, he was the only thing I liked from BW so I can't wait for this special

What? Ash is present in the episode? Oh, I think they will show him leaving for Alola in this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom