• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XYS06: The Strongest Duo! Citron and Dent!!

Insipid waste of time. Mamoru Miyano is wasted in that role. Citron and Eureka could almost have been any generic characters. What on earth were Satoshi & Pikachu credited for here? I'd honestly have preferred a 2-week break to the dross we have had filling time before next week.

I liked the special. Yes, the plot was predictable, but in my opinion it did justice to the characters and that's what matters the most. Clemont's nervousness and determination, Cilan's hobbies and quick-thinking and Bonnie's innocence and curiosity were all present.

Goodbye, XY animation.

Cilan returning was alright but it couldn't bring Kalos back to great status. 3/10 for effort.

We've been away from Dent for what...three years now? and yet when I saw him in this episode I felt less "wow, it's so great to have him back!" and more "oh yeah, I forgot how annoying he was." Pairing him up with his vastly superior replacement only highlighted how lucky we were to have Citron and Eureka on the cast for all these years.

I also don't get why this special did the same thing that the Takeshi / Dent special did and have them avoid actually referring to Satoshi by name. Is this going to be a new thing now? Satoshi's old traveling companions meet each other and make awkward and roundabout references to the fact that they once traveled around with Satoshi but never actually say his name, because revealing this one fact is bad, somehow? Haruka knows about Hikari and Hikari knows about Iris so why can't Dent know about Takeshi or Citron? It doesn't make any sense.

Iris and N appeared in flashbacks in this episode, but they aren't listed on the Bulbapedia page. I can't edit it in myself right now, but can a moderator on Bulbapedia add them in?

Anyway, this was a pretty fun filler for what it was. At least Cilan, Clemont, and Bonnie introduced each other by name since Ash never told them about Cilan before. Although having Cilan back is pretty odd considering how XY has never mentioned anything else about Ash's past travels except for an in-direct mention of Dawn's Piplup. Nevertheless, while the train chase took up most of the episode, the episode was good fun in the end. I also got a kick out of Cilan's Engrish, idk if he spoke Engrish often in Best Wishes or not as I haven't watched much of the Best Wishes series. Cilan also didn't really have a reason to suspect Cilan of traveling with Ash and vise versa, since there's so many people in the world and it would be a miracle to learn that the guy you just met also traveled with him. It wouldn't have been if Ash ever talked about his previous friends, but he never does. The episode served its purpose well though, and I enjoyed the interactions between Bonnie, Clemont, and Cilan.

Iris and N appeared in flashbacks in this episode, but they aren't listed on the Bulbapedia page. I can't edit it in myself right now, but can a moderator on Bulbapedia add them in?

Anyway, this was a pretty fun filler for what it was. At least Cilan, Clemont, and Bonnie introduced each other by name since Ash never told them about Cilan before. Although having Cilan back is pretty odd considering how XY has never mentioned anything else about Ash's past travels except for an in-direct mention of Dawn's Piplup. Nevertheless, while the train chase took up most of the episode, the episode was good fun in the end. I also got a kick out of Cilan's Engrish, idk if he spoke Engrish often in Best Wishes or not as I haven't watched much of the Best Wishes series. Cilan also didn't really have a reason to suspect Cilan of traveling with Ash and vise versa, since there's so many people in the world and it would be a miracle to learn that the guy you just met also traveled with him. It wouldn't have been if Ash ever talked about his previous friends, but he never does. The episode served its purpose well though, and I enjoyed the interactions between Bonnie, Clemont, and Cilan.

He did.

It was an okay episode for the most part. It was nice to see Clemont teaming up with Cilan and all. It was also nice to see Cilan again, but then I quickly remembered why I was so glad he was replaced by Clemont. I didn't like also how that they once again avoided bringing up Ash, despite thinking about him. I was really hoping that they would have that Is this going to be a trend from now on where past male traveling companions meet but never mention they both knew Ash?

I quite liked how the plot element of the subway was brought it to unite Citron and Dent... the tech is something Citron has experience with, while Dent has been established as a subway expert. But like what has been mentioned, this episode just goes to prove how much more interesting and likeable Citron and Eureka are compared to Dent.

Speaking of Dent, is the fact he's apparently a travelling fisherman who goes to look at random towers now supposed to be his ultimate fate? Between this and Iris wandering around aimlessly chasing Rayquaza, I can't help but feel sorry that both of Satoshi's BW friends were given such lousy final pay-offs.

Speaking of Dent, is the fact he's apparently a travelling fisherman who goes to look at random towers now supposed to be his ultimate fate? Between this and Iris wandering around aimlessly chasing Rayquaza, I can't help but feel sorry that both of Satoshi's BW friends were given such lousy final pay-offs.
Its almost as if wasn't much that coud really done with his goal of becoming a top Pokemon Connoisseur and I guess this was the next option. I feel like they didn't go into depth a lot with Cilan's goal, so now he's doing this I guess?

The flashbacks of BW Ash and SM Ash in quick succession was nice. The fishing rod-Aipom arm combo to save Bonnie also looked really good. A nice special overall.

Its almost as if wasn't much that coud really done with his goal of becoming a top Pokemon Connoisseur and I guess this was the next option. I feel like they didn't go into depth a lot with Cilan's goal, so now he's doing this I guess?

Here's what the problem was to me... Dent went on his journey intending to be a top Sommelier which is fine, but then several episodes after we find out that he's actually already an A-Class and there's only one level left to become top of his field. Obviously we can't have him achieving his goal too soon so what's left for him to do? Hence they made him a Sommelier in Fishing/Detective/Metro etc. to give him more hobbies until eventually the writers just seemed to forget why he went on his journey in the first place. Out of all of Satoshi's travelling buddies, I feel he did the least to progress himself in regards to his ultimate goal.

Cilan is such a hollow character but he didn't have to ruin Clemont and Bonnie's swan song

I don't think the episode was horrible. I probably could've gone without it though. It would've been much better as a filler episode with everyone together with a few episodes tying everything together. Despite Dento being my least favourite male companion, I found him fun and refreshing to watch with Citron. I don't mind that Satoshi was never mentioned... tbh, I don't always mention my friend's name to someone new.

In fact, many times I won't even know someone knows someone until I look at their facebook friends or try to introduce them.

I only had the opportunity to watch this recently, and I have to say - I enjoyed it.

This episode reminded me of how much I missed Dento - the episode was absolutely brimming with his personality, to a point where you feel the writers are trying to shoehorn in every characteristic he displayed throughout his season in the span of twenty minutes - I had expected that, though. I was more fondly exasperated than irritated at this.

One thing that just did not sit right was how they try and continue the tradition of the male companions not realising their mutual friendship with Ash; especially since they go quite far in describing themselves that the only logical (and disturbing) explanation would be that Ash never mentioned one to the other. Their names are only one thing (though, I doubt that a name like Dento and Citron are very common, but regardless) - but their professions? It stretches beyond belief that Clemont would not have thought "Oh, a sommelier huh? Ash travelled with one - could he be...?", especially since Dento not only mentions that he is a sommelier, but also the gym leader of Striaton city. The same applies to Dento not registering his connection to Clemont, though it could have been that he and Ash simply never contacted another after their departure (that is a sad state of affairs).

Since comparisons are being drawn here between the counterparts, I really noted how much more empathetic Clemont is than Dento; though obviously, this isn't the best situation to contest that - after all, it is Clemont's reactions/empathy in relation to his younger sister so he would naturally show more emotion. I adored how they brought up Dento's insensitive side too. To approach a stranger and patronisingly tell them that they have terrible taste when it comes to fishing? For such a gentleman-type character, Dento can be so downright rude at times and I'm glad they didn't neglect that side to him in this special. Even at the end, when Bonnie tells him he can say nice things sometimes - I was delighted that she pointed that out, and as he reiterated, it's only sometimes.

Dento's such a flighty character - I kind of wished they would move on from the whole fishing plot by this special and showcase him moving on with his sommelier career but he has always been established to have a flighty personality ever since he left the gym to join Ash on his journey so it's very characteristic of him, I suppose.

As for the plot point in this episode - while it didn't captivate me much per se, it was a good way to unite Dento and Clemont's strengths as well as convey their personalities in dealing with a crisis so I have to give it props for that.

One thing that just did not sit right was how they try and continue the tradition of the male companions not realising their mutual friendship with Ash; especially since they go quite far in describing themselves that the only logical (and disturbing) explanation would be that Ash never mentioned one to the other. Their names are only one thing (though, I doubt that a name like Dento and Citron are very common, but regardless) - but their professions? It stretches beyond belief that Clemont would not have thought "Oh, a sommelier huh? Ash travelled with one - could he be...?", especially since Dento not only mentions that he is a sommelier, but also the gym leader of Striaton city. The same applies to Dento not registering his connection to Clemont, though it could have been that he and Ash simply never contacted another after their departure (that is a sad state of affairs).

Yeah, that was just dumb. Good episode otherwise.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom