• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yahtzee reviews Pokemon White

Falconwing

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3008-Pokemon-White

Popular video game reviewer Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation today reviewed Pokemon White. Personally I am a fan of his reviews and always get a good laugh out of what he has to say, so I was only more interested when I saw this.

I figured since we haven't had much big discussion lately that we all could watch (there is language, by the way, that may not be suitable for some people) and discuss the points brought up in the review.

Let's be civil and polite in this discussion. Too often in the past I've seen reviews pop up here and be shredded and laughed at. I think we're capable of more proper discussion of a review we may or may not agree with.

Anyways, sit back, watch, and let's discuss some of Yahtzee's points on the pros and cons (mostly cons XD) of Pokemon White (and also Black).

yeah I saw it, he is somehow right, but still I buy the games anyway. But one thing really mad me daudt him, that is choosing white that is.

That bit I think was just his style of humor.

Elesa was the bane of my existance. I can sympathise.

It sounds like he liked it to be honest. It was interesting to hear the view of someone who doesn't have the 'rival in vicinity' sixth sense that you tend to develop after a couple of pokemon games that lets you know when you should save cos that bridge looks like just the spot for a rival battle...

And yes, when looking for pokes it takes forever for them to pop up, but when trying to high-tail it to a center with 1 left standing they appear every step.

The Skyla climbing tower thing was strange and out of place when I did it too, still none the wiser. Seems like an excuse to get you to treck through the obligatory ghost tower.

Thank god Yahtzee doesn't know about IV breeding and EV training...

The review was hilarious as usual, although I wish he would told us about how he felt about the plot.

Not a fan of Yahtzee, and this review didn't change my mind. Not that I'm a huge fan of BW myself, either, but the majority of his reasons are pretty stupid.

I found the "review" quite funny, but he needs to slow down a bit. Having to fully concentrate on the sound to understand everything is a bit of a pain.

I kinda agree with some of his points, though a lot of it just seemed like mild ranting, such as the boss characters appearing and the appearance rate of wild Pokémon. We all mild rant, so I don't think its bad per se. It just wasn't really in line with a normal review.

I can sort of see his point about Pokémon designs, but only for a few of them. Yabukuron... is a ripped trashbag with eyes. There are offenders in the past before someone screams at me "Kanto was bad too!" but this is several years from then, when standards should improve. That's just my opinion though.

i knew if he reviewed pokemon he'd tear it to shreds, he hates RPGs and he hates things that don't inovate every fucking game they make, witch is the one thing i hate about him.
also. screw you, garbador looks awsome...well, if you cut off the odd...trash ponytails then it'd be fine.

God using the opposite elements makes the game SO EASY

Why do I keep losing to this asshole on the ferris wheel?!

Great..another moron who doesn't understand yin & yang, and ignorantly thinks that the names are racist.

He was clearly joking.

People don't seem to understand that all of it was done for the sake of humour. Don't take everything so seriously guys.

But yeah, i loved that last line about jigsaw puzzles not adding 200 newer pieces every 2 years or so.

I found that to be extremely funny and true. I consider Pokemon to be my second religion so theres nothing that could ever deter me from my Pokes (except maybe a save file corruption GOD FORBID) so I plan on showing this to my less enthusiastic Pokemon friends. I recently obtained all 493 Pokemon and have been bragging about since, so the part about crazy collecting will surely make a few laughs at my expense.

I never thought I'd see him review a Pokemon game and now I am having a gigglefit since he finally did. I was quite amused by the part at the beginning where he says people think that he doesn't review games like this because he secretly likes them. That mindset can only come from the worst of 13 year old (physically or mentally) fanboys(girls).

Parts of what he sees in it are pretty accurate. I do think some of us get anal about certain aspects of the game and collecting them all is the least obsessive of the things some of us do. We are weird (and probably crazy but I can accept that) and anyone who can spend hours breeding for the right ivs or ev'ing countless pokemon cannot honestly say they are not.

Great..another moron who doesn't understand yin & yang, and ignorantly thinks that the names are racist.

Yes because not giving a serious, in depth review of a plot and making jokes about things makes one an ignorant moron. Lighten up, child.

I found the "review" quite funny, but he needs to slow down a bit. Having to fully concentrate on the sound to understand everything is a bit of a pain.

Except that is part of the point. P:

I can sort of see his point about Pokémon designs, but only for a few of them. Yabukuron... is a ripped trashbag with eyes. There are offenders in the past before someone screams at me "Kanto was bad too!" but this is several years from then, when standards should improve. That's just my opinion though.

I actually find the bigger offenders to be in Kanto (put angrier eyes on the same scribble sounds more like some of our old school favorites than most of the current designs.

i knew if he reviewed pokemon he'd tear it to shreds, he hates RPGs and he hates things that don't inovate every fucking game they make, witch is the one thing i hate about him.
also. screw you, garbador looks awsome...well, if you cut off the odd...trash ponytails then it'd be fine.

You hate that he hates things you like? Why? He's entitled to not like things and I don't think I've ever seen him claim any of his reviews are unbiased. I think that's part of what I've always LIKED about him actually.

But yeah, i loved that last line about jigsaw puzzles not adding 200 newer pieces every 2 years or so.

That part made me wonder if I revolutionized a jigsaw puzzle that DID add 1000 new pieces every few years if I could make a massive profit off of it. I can already think of several ways to pull it off. : D

no, i hate it how he expects every game to be completely different from anything else.
He bashes sequels because he expects every game to turn the series on it's head, while it is my philosophy, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I love his revewies, but i just disagree with him on that point.

XD I especially relate to the crap with Elesa sending out an electric and FLYING type.

People don't seem to understand that all of it was done for the sake of humour. Don't take everything so seriously guys.

^Agreed

The Escapist pays him to rip on video games. Pretty much all of his reviews are negative because positive ones aren't funny.

Yahtzee himself has said that he's more of a QA man and that anything he doesn't mention in his review is a good part of the game.

He does have a point, but the fact that pokemon stays the same is part of why it has lasted so long as well. I cannot really argue with anything he said, but it makes it seem as if he didn't play the game all the way through and see what N's true nature is. True, he is somewhat still a douche for doing this, but he realizes he was wrong. If you're right, and he leaves stuff out when it's good, then maybe that was the reason. I know there was once a time when he did at least state some things about the game that are good. What he said, though, is a tired argument and it means nothing to me.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom