• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Yesterdays Champion (Teen)

Cabaret

I feel so much spring...
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted anything so I've decided to make up for it by posting this oneshot I wrote this weekend. Rated Teen for language, and nothing else. If you aren't sure who the characters are, I am referring to Joanna and Lucas from D and P.

Yesterdays Champion

"And now, ladies and gentleman, the star of the century, the contest
champion, the one and only Joanna!"

The crowd was going wild. The sensational champion she was! More famous then the moon! Then the heavens! Throwing her bouquets and sending her cheers of elation! The sounds rupturing the hall! Invincibility empowering her, she takes her final bow.

Putting her box of ribbons away, Joanna closed the door of her closet, shutting away memories of her reign as the champion. Creeping silently to her bed for the night, a sudden sadness filled her with a feeling of sorrow. Joanna knew very well why she was feeling so down. As she turned off the final lit light of her house, a vivid image of a red rose encompassed her mind, to be the thing she would dream about for nights to come.

"Mom....Mom...Mother..."

Joanna was in another daydream, she had been veering all day. Lucas attentivly tried to grab the attention of his mother, whom he seldom saw due to his extraneous travels.

"Wh-What is is dear?" Joanna asked her son, trying to pick up the pieces of a forgotten conversation with her son.

"I was telling you about Sunnyshore, you know, vacation? Have you been feeling well?" Lucas asked her in response.

"I'm just...I just didn't get much sleep last night. I was so excited for your return I couldn't contain myself..." she lied.

"Maybe you should rest for a while. I was going to go through my old things and see if there was anything I needed getting rid of. You don't want my stuff pileing up anyway."

"Oh I already went through your things. I'm turning your room into a gym." Joanna lovingly told her son, who was holding back the shock that she had practically forgotten about her only son. "I suppose I will rest now. You go visit Barry's mother, I'm sure she'd like to see how you're doing."

"I guess I will. But mom," Lucas started, "have you been alright?"

Hesitant to respond, Joanna said with her back turned to Lucas, "Yes. Now run along."

With that, Lucas left the house. He seemed to know that his existance was of little concern to his mother.

"I'm going to Hoenn." Lucas quietly told his mother over dinner one autumn night. He had been at the house only a week and he was leaving, but his mother didn't seem to be too devestated.

"Oh. That's nice." Joanna poked a meatball with her fork, no intention of eating it.

"It'll be a six month league, Hoenns pretty big, more spread out then Sinnoh."

"That's good." Joanna said, small and emotionless.

" Probably alot of different pokemon then we have here." Lucas's tone started to appear more apparent to his mothers lack of concentration.

" What a shame..." Joanna said absentmindedly.

Lucas started to get red in the face. His mother...his mother, wasn't acting like she should. Lucas saw it coming, throwing him out of the house at age ten, telling him to start a career in training. Lucas didn't even like training, he hated watching pokemon fight. Now that he had been gone for so long, his mother was struggling to face something she had put off for so long,

Herself.

"Dammit mother! Do you ever hear a goddamned thing I say?!"

Joanna turned to face her son, but for a split second she thought she saw her reflection. Tears welled up in her eyes and she rose from her chair. Lucas stared at her, having lost his anger and now seeing his mothers misery, he simply gave off a hurt complextion.

"I'm going to go to bed. I...." Joanna started, her words hanging in the air. She swiftly went to her bedroom.

Lucas was starting to feel his mothers disfunction. Years had gone by, and the little things that made her Joanna were no longer apparent. Lucas slowly walked around his mothers house, observing the pictures that scattered the walls: Pictures of her with her beloved pokemon when she was a teen, pictures of her and her father...

A small picture caught his eye, a picture of her in the contest hall wearing a golden ribbon, her face practically melted with joy, standing next to her beautiful Roserade, clutching a single red rose.
Perhaps he would ask her about her contest days tomorrow.
Joanna sat on her bet, letting tears stream down her face and onto the floor. She was never sure what she was exactly crying about, but she used her the method to repress the sadness.

People would ask her how it felt on the day she was proclaimed champion, did she come all unwound? Well, it was all a blur really. The things she did should couldn't recall, she didn't remember what her pokemon did that caused such amazment. All she knew was that she had a ball, and the feeling that she was the queen of the world. After all, she was the champion. The
best. Number one.

Lucas never shed a tear, he never took pride when he beat the elite four, he never was excited. Never the one to gloat. Joanna didn't feel sorry for him when he lost he lost his limelight. Shoulda enjoyed it while it lasted.Besides, It's means nothing being yesterdays champion.

She wished him luck when life became apparent to him.

Joanna knew what she had to do.

Lucas woke up the next morning with a strange conviction to have a heartwarming conversation with his mother, but when he went to the kitchen he found a plate of cold breakfest waiting for him, and the front door of the house ajar.

Joanna was there at about noon. Traveling by Togekiss was easy, but the pokemon hardly recognized Joanna when she came to visit her at Professor Rowans. She had changed so much. The Hall, on the other hand, was exactly as she had remembered it. The walls, the spaciousness, everything about it was exhillarating.

"I'd like to check in." Joanna asked the admissions receptionist.

"I'm sorry, but we've already got the cordinator lineup for today chossen out. The contest starts at four if you would like to- hey, haven't I seen you before?" the lady asked Joanna.

"You might have," Joanna said with a small smile "is there any way I can get into the hall? I'm just...I'd like to see the place."

"Um, yeah. There's no one in there now, but if you want to."

Joanna stood on the exact stage she stood on many years ago, feeling emotions that she had forgotten long ago. Reliving a moment with such detail. The thousands of seats filled with adoring fans all coming back to her, the smell of roses, the judges smiling at her dazzling display. She didn't forget Roserade, as he stood next to her as well. The lights shining brightly,
and the world more perfect then it would ever be.

And a single rose in her hand.

The champion, the best, number one! And it didn't matter that it was long ago.

"The crowd was going wild. The sensational champion she was! More famous then the moon! Then the heavens! Throwing her bouquets and sending her cheers of elation! The sounds rupturing the hall! Invincibility empowering her, she takes her final bow."

Hi, welcome back!

This was a good read, certainly a different take on the characters. I thought that it could have used a bit more length, but overall, you did a good job with the characters.

Keep it up.

Thanks! I admit that this wasn't my greatest writing. But the best is yet to come.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom