• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yoshi’s Jolly Island - Reviews & Thoughts

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Welcome to my Bulbablog!

Here I’ll be talking about things like Pokémon Go, the Pokémon TCG, and other bits and tads that don’t go anywhere. I found that the TCG and Pokémon Go forums lay a little dormant so I just wanna post here for that.

I’ll also give you my updates on the games I’m playing. Please be warned that you may find spoilers for any game in this forum.

I probably won’t be giving any opinions on Pokémon here and just give them on the other ones.

Thank You

• Staff
Alright here goes my first post here.

Today in Pokémon, I did a bunch of online Tera raids while I also multitasking on Pokémon go. I definitely could’ve played better on the Tera raids if I wasn’t playing go though the wait time in between felt like there was enough time to play Go. There was a bunch of Rowlets so I had to catch ‘em all.
(Which sadly I didn’t)

In SV, I’m starting to get the poles or whatever they are for the legendaries. That’s about it though.

I’ve gotten back to playing Animal Crossing but I’ve barely done anything accept for obtaining oranges on my original save file.

Overall I’ve been wasting a ton of time on YouTube recently watching Cart Narcs and cooking videos. I feel like I could be reading, writing, or playing video games instead.

Signing off,
JollyYodhi

• Staff
PART II

Here I am, back again. I didn’t play any Pokémon today except for Go only to keep up my streak. I failed to catch two starter Pokémon which was disappointing but I’d say inevitable.

I’ve decided to rack up VR in MK8DX bc I have nothing else to do in there. I’m currently at 1900 and was previously at 1750. It’s only going to get harder.

Signing off,
Jolly Yoshi

• Staff
PART III

Today, I continued on my VR journey in MK8DX. I got 200 more today. I probably could’ve gotten a bit more as I was also doing stuff in Pokémon Masters EX. I still haven’t done all my daily’s to my knowledge yet.

I still haven’t played SV more. I’ll probably get into it tomorrow.

Did my daily’s in Pokémon Go too.

• Staff
PART IV

So far, I haven’t played much today. Though, I’ve been quite happy as I got an amazing pull from Crown Zenith.

My reaction to the pull was the same exact reaction when I found out my grandparents have a sealed original legend of Zelda and when I found out there was textured grass in the Mario kart booster pass.

Speaking of Mario kart, I’ve barely made progress today and have been playing terrible. There’s still some Horus left so let’s see

Signing off,
Jollyyoshi

• Staff
PART V

Alright, I’m going to revive this thread to give my thoughts on the Mario Movie.

To put it straight, it was a good movie. It’s nothing brilliant or better than Illumination’s best movies. It’s a good representation of the Mario universe.

I feel like I remember some critic complaining about the setting. I feel like if the setting got more complex, it wouldn’t feel like Mario. I’m fine with the simple settings.

I do agree that the movie was a bit flat in some places. In the fight with DK, Mario got the cat suit and just destroyed DK. Then when Mario and Luigi got the star power, they just destroyed Bowser and his minions. I just don’t enjoy the fact that they got a power-up and immediately defeated the enemy. The enemy needs to show some resistance.

Another problem was the characters were unbalanced. Toad was barely used and so was Luigi. Toad especially deserved to see more action and should’ve been more of Peach’s aid.

This is sort of a nerdy complaint but where were Toadsworth and Toadette? Toadsworth SHOULD’VE been that old leading Toad. Toadette should’ve at least had somewhat of an appearance and also have been more of Peach’s aid too.

I must say that the animation itself was NOT lousy and neither was the soundtrack. Those two were probably the best things about the movie. I really wish we could see a Mario game with this many Easter eggs tucked in so many corners. I know that this is sort of fan-service/bait but putting these things in is brilliant and shows they care.

I also really liked how Brooklyn was represented here. It felt quite like fantasy or similar to the worlds in Mario. That’s a good thing because this movie is supposed to take you out of the real world and put you into this world. It was great.

I also enjoyed seeing Mario’s family. Mario’s poor old Grandpa could barely eat.

Even though this movie feels like it’s full of cliches, I’d say it’s necessary to start a cinematic universe like this. In this movie, they covered so much ground (maybe too much) with references to New Super Mario Bros U to Mario Kart DS. I’m thinking scenes based off games was overused because it makes the movie time-crunched (which you don’t want) when you could probably just have a scene like that in the next movie.

This universe could have so many movies. Let me list the ones that come to mind:
1. Flat-out Mario Movie Trilogy (same characters)
2. Yoshi Movie (will come next)
3. DK Movie
4. Bowser Jr Movie
5. Koopaling Movie
6. Isle Delfino Movie
7. Luigi’s Mansion Movie
8. Galaxy Movie
The list definitely goes on but these are the ones that make sense.

I must say that a good reason for packing so much meat into this one movie is because sequels don’t always do as well and then there’s the 1% chance that the movie will bomb terribly and lose money for both Nintendo and Illumination. As of today, it doesn’t seem like the movie will bomb.

The movie itself wasn’t miserable to watch through. It was enjoyable to watch and definitely bearable. It had some humor in it but barely enough to annoy you every minute. Personally, I’m giving this movie an 8/10.

• Staff
Today, I decided to revisit Mario Kart 7 as a friend was bringing their Nintendo 3DS to school. (So of course I had to too because I’m a pretty big Nintendo fan)

I was practicing a bit beforehand, playing some cups I didn’t get gold in. (Those being the mirror mode ones) I found that playing the game was hard. I had a hard time, for some reason, holding the items. I just seemed to lose grip on the button.

When I raced against my friend, I’d say I did just okay. The mechanics of MK7 are so weird. When you get hit by a shell, you fly backward instead of just spinning out in place. And also the final shortcut in SNES rainbow road is weird too as you need more speed than in MK8. I also found that I have a hard time staying close to corners in this game. In MK8. The corners sort of bounce off of you instead of slowing you down.

I think it’s fine that these games have different controls as that is why you decide to play one game over another or else you’ll just only be playing the new one. The old will be less popular but there should be some point in going back and revisiting the old.

• Staff
Part VII

I thought I’d just give my thoughts on this blog. I remember having thoughts about this a couple days ago, but I don’t remember.

I decided a couple days ago to sort of rebrand because I wanted to give clarity on what I was talking about in the blog.

It’s interesting to read how I wrote about little things in this blog like about Mario Kart 8 VR and then wrote a bunch about Mario and then suddenly stopped. As of right now, I have like 2,400 VR. Still haven’t gotten to 10,000 yet.

On a different note, I realized something strange a couple days ago. I was ranking my top 10 favorite Beatles song and was surprised to see that six of them were John Lennon songs. I always thought of myself as a McCartney person though this list sort of proves I’m not.

• Staff
Part VIII

Here’s another revival to this thread over a month after the last one. It feels like yesterday I posted it lol. Time seems to fly.

Anyways, I’ve discovered once you’ve played online for a couple of minutes, you can’t go back to offline. I don’t mean that the game breaks but I’m saying offline mode isn’t fun anymore.

I’ve discovered it with two games, Mario Kart and Pokémon Go. I’ve finally decided to pick up the battle league in Pokémon Go and it’s quite fun. The element cup does require some interesting strategies. I do find it more fun and easier to understand than main-series Pokémon battles. I usually prefer fast-paced competitions over ones that are slower and require more thought. I would rather it be both, but it looks like it’s the lather now.

I don’t really want to get too deep into competitive Pokémon Go battling as it’s just a fun time passer. I don’t really care about the rewards I get for winning the battles as I get a sense of fulfillment when winning the battles.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom