• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

You win again, Nintendo...

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Oh, how the mighty have fallen, aka: me.

I absolutely swore that the PS4 would be my last game console, but guess what just happened? If you guessed that I caved, you win the prize. Probably because I was (very) curious about other things, I ended up doing some research on Switch prices on Ebay. And... I found a brand new Switch for the ridiculous price of $30-ish dollars. Naturally, I was very suspicious, I mean, when is a game console cheaper than its games, right? But the seller has a 100% positive feedback rating, multiple 5 star reviews, and had sold multiple consoles (with 28 of them in 24 hours to boot). So, I figured this: $30 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to game consoles, so even if it IS too good to be true, then it's not a huge lose. Plus the guy offers 30 day returns, so that reassured me a fair amount. And mom had offered to pay for half of a Switch's normal price tag in celebration of my soon-to-be 30th birthday (boy, I feel old), so I have a backup plan. So, after a bit more research into possible games, I ended up buying the Switch, along with two other games (those two came from Gamestop, however, as I have virtually $200 worth of credit with them, so I might as well use it).

Now, let me explain something. Whenever I decide to buy a new console, I need to meet a minimum requirement of at LEAST three games that I want to warrant the purchase (and no, paired versions count as only one game to me, as it tends to be the "one game for the price of two" mentality). So, after some digging, I found two other games I ended up wanting, and thus, with those two games + Sword/Shield, that met the three game minimum to finally push me over the edge. Guess I gotta clear up a bit of space now. And maybe get a new multi-outlet extension, just in case. But it looks like I'll be adding one more console to my collection.

sigh I swore that I would not cave. I swore that I wouldn't buy a new console (especially since the bulk of the console's games are Mario and Link, who I don't really like). But, as fate would have it, I lost that battle. To my credit, I did hold out longer than I thought possible, and I was getting pretty worried about the price tag. But if this $30 console actually works, then I will have gotten the deal of the century (and here I thought that $80 32-inch flat-screen TV I bought for mom and dad was a great deal). If not, then it's not a huge loss, as I have other options to work with.

Congrats, Nintendo, you just got another sucker. Guess I will be continuing my Poke-journey into Gen 8 after all. Oh, well. At least it means that if the 3DS's internet ability DOES get the axe later down the road, I won't lose my 56+ boxes worth of transferred Mons. I'm still shocked at myself that I caved, but at least I didn't spend over $300 or anything major. I still have suspicions on this $30 console, but, hey, for all I know, I could've ended up with the deal of a lifetime. Time will tell. That's enough out of me for now.

With an offer like that, I'd do the same. :p I hope you enjoy it, I'm sure you'll find more games to play as time goes on.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom