• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

You would be perfect, if only...

Pomegranate

Fruit of Prosperity
Reaction score
Everyone has a favorite manga character, but for many that character would be just perfect if you changed some small thing, something to make that character the most perfect character to ever walk the Poke-Earth. So what would you change about your favorite character? Note: this doesn't necessarily have to be personality, it can also relate to design or an event in their lives or anything relating to the character.

With Sapphire, I would definitely change her backstory. I didn't need a "reason" for her to be a tough girl, I just liked that she was. Couldn't someone just grow up tough? Did she really need the "I was traumatized as a child so now I'm going to be strong" backstory? It bothered me a lot. Oh and I'd fix her hair cause I always thought it was strange that there was none behind her (I guess it's in her bandana?).

With Sapphire, I would definitely change her backstory. I didn't need a "reason" for her to be a tough girl, I just liked that she was. Couldn't someone just grow up tough? Did she really need the "I was traumatized as a child so now I'm going to be strong" backstory? It bothered me a lot. Oh and I'd fix her hair cause I always thought it was strange that there was none behind her (I guess it's in her bandana?).

To be fair, Sapphire's backstory was tied with Ruby's to give them that connection they had.

Plus, characters shouldn't be perfect otherwise they'd be accused of being Mary Sues. Trust me, I know. Or did you mean something else?

To be fair, Sapphire's backstory was tied with Ruby's to give them that connection they had.

Plus, characters shouldn't be perfect otherwise they'd be accused of being Mary Sues. Trust me, I know. Or did you mean something else?

Just because a character grew up tough doesn't mean she's a Mary Sue. She could still have her occasional girly moments without having to have a massive change of heart as a little kid from "GIRLIEST GIRL EVER" to "BIGGEST TOMBOY EVER", I found it really unrealistic for PokeSpe. I just found that whole backstory cheesy, they could have integrated Ruby in another way that wouldn't be such a cheesefest.

It was just a question asking what you'd change about your favorite character, that's all. No need to read so much into it in regards to making a character a Mary Sue or making them too perfect or something like that.

Red you would be perfect if you were a time travelling keyblade wielding sailor senshi magical boy with a penchant for elven magic, and your name was Super Mega Ranger Dino Thunder Ryuunosuke Serenity 01-Red Charizard Powerful Prince Kaito, your middle name was Moltres Darkside Jackstone Palazzo Quatre Guybrush Santa-Clause, and your surname was Payne Shanson McKikumittosen-Prosciutto. Super Mega Ranger Dino Thunder Ryuunosuke Serenity 01-Red Charizard Powerful Prince Kaito Moltres Darkside Jackstone Palazzo Quatre Guybrush Santa-Clause Payne Shanson McKikumittosen-Prosciutto could also be a white mage time manipulator phisycal god with the heart of an innocent girl. In a jar in his kitchen.:spam:

Ahem.

Red and Green, you guys'd be absolutely perfect if you would both admit that you were perfect for each other.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom