• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

GameFreak's "we still want to be smol indie company" actually originates from Gunpei Yokoi's "Lateral thinking with withered technology" approach, and as with all things Nintendo they will probably never change it.

GameFreak isn't part of Nintendo. They've got games on Steam.

Ed: That said I don't think GF is changing anytime soon because there's no incentive to.

Yes, they have a single game on Steam which, based on the number of reviews, must have resulted in a loss.

The reality is that they are dependent on the Pokémon franchise and, subsequently, on the Nintendo. However, they have been squirming for years for a little more freedom.

Last edited:
Yes, they have a single game on Steam which, based on the number of reviews, must have resulted in a loss.

The reality is that they are dependent on the Pokémon franchise and, subsequently, Nintendo. However, they have been squirming for years for a little more freedom.
What game is it that they have on Steam?

What game is it that they have on Steam?
A few, actually.

It would be unwise to blame GF entirely for the "Smol indie company" mentality as, as stated above, this principle is how Nintendo works period. Pokemon games are always released on Nintendo systems, and Nintendo is unlikely to join the console wars armistice any time soon.

We don't need all the pokemon in every game. Mighty keef put it best when dexit happened "I was just gonna catch 20 of those ******s and call it a day." When have you ever played a pokemon game and used it's entire dex? Even after having played it a dozen times. Even in games with all the pokemon, say you decided "I wanna play cyndaquil in x and y" you had to A. Get it from Bank from HGSS (no longer an option)
B trade it from ORAS
You had to go out of your way to get it early enough in the game where it's not immediately pointless by playing another game first. And at that point play that game that gives you access to cyndaquil. (this can be applied to any pokemon in a non dexit game this is just an example, don't get me started on using cyndaquil in any gen 3 game)

We don't need all the pokemon in every game. Mighty keef put it best when dexit happened "I was just gonna catch 20 of those ******s and call it a day." When have you ever played a pokemon game and used it's entire dex? Even after having played it a dozen times. Even in games with all the pokemon, say you decided "I wanna play cyndaquil in x and y" you had to A. Get it from Bank from HGSS (no longer an option)
B trade it from ORAS
You had to go out of your way to get it early enough in the game where it's not immediately pointless by playing another game first. And at that point play that game that gives you access to cyndaquil. (this can be applied to any pokemon in a non dexit game this is just an example, don't get me started on using cyndaquil in any gen 3 game)
the issue is that every pokemon is someone's favorite. My favorite (Whiscash) has fortunately made it into every game since its introduction, but i can imagine people might not like it if the pokemon they love most can't join their team in the most recent game

Back
Top Bottom