• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

BW and B2W2 changing the seasons every month in practice doesn't make sense. I get the concept, but almost no one plays games for months, so barely any player sees a change during their gameplay. It gets worse when some roads are blocked in certain seasons, so you have to wait a month, but by then you are most likely already done with the game. I get that changing seasons daily or weekly would be probably less convenient, but changing monthly is not the most convenient way to utilize that feature either.

I like seasons aesthetically but did not like them overall because they made specific gameplay content like battles either exclusive to a particular season or once a month type to fit into seasons.

BW and B2W2 changing the seasons every month in practice doesn't make sense. I get the concept, but almost no one plays games for months, so barely any player sees a change during their gameplay. It gets worse when some roads are blocked in certain seasons, so you have to wait a month, but by then you are most likely already done with the game. I get that changing seasons daily or weekly would be probably less convenient, but changing monthly is not the most convenient way to utilize that feature either.

Thank you, I've been saying this myself for a while. I too like it from a thematic/conceptual standpoint but hate it in terms of practicality, few people will have the patience to put up with such long periods of time like that.

Thank you, I've been saying this myself for a while. I too like it from a thematic/conceptual standpoint but hate it in terms of practicality, few people will have the patience to put up with such long periods of time like that.
I agree. Just a random thought but maybe changing the seasons accordingly to the game progress the players are going and making it monthly basis only during the post-game would have worked better. That way the game developers could work more properly on which roads to block for specific items or trainers in specific places so things would not be just as random.

I tend to like first or second stage pokemon a lot more than the final evolutions and wish pokemon would evolve less tbh. That’s why I don’t mind pokemon like Pachirisu or Spinda. Not every pokemon needs to evolve. I’m also not a fan of all the evolutions introduced in gen 4. Gligar and Rhydon are perfect as they are and Rhyperior looks overdesigned. Tangrowth is just a bigger Tangela… and so on. They could buff the stats of some pokemon, instead of giving them evolutions.

I agree. Just a random thought but maybe changing the seasons accordingly to the game progress the players are going and making it monthly basis only during the post-game would have worked better. That way the game developers could work more properly on which roads to block for specific items or trainers in specific places so things would not be just as random.

Ehh, I don't think this would really help at all. For one, the items and trainers are optional, so there's no guarantee the players would actually engage with that content. And you could argue that post game is where a shortened interval is needed the most because the motivation to keep playing drops off when there's no more story to complete.

Bring the seasons back, but make them "that kind" of season (i.e. the one with a pass). Except they're just part of the game and they cycle.

Today is the day I realized I don't want any new Pokemon games based on real life countries.
I wouldn't say I hate them but I realized how limiting they are narratively. It was fine with vague inspiration like Unova but starting with Kalos, the games went out of their way to include even more landmarks that are similar to real world. It would be fine if not for the game perspective: all world's countries have similar regions that are agricultural or industrial, etc. Since European countries are generally quite alike, we are forced to relive essentially same gyms/Same events and lore. A completely new land with unique politics and agriculture would make more unique gym sequence possible and would avoid the trope of early grass/bug gym entirely. So, I still don't hate them but we were robbed of games that are creative with its setting, landmarks, world building, lore. Also, real world location makes creating truly disturbing villains 'controversial' because no one wants to see their land in a bad light. But let's be real, villains are essential for storytelling. Let's set ourselves free by unleashing our imagination!

Last edited:
GF has never made main series games that aren't based on a real life location. So to me it sounds like you're yearning for something that never existed.

Cards on the table, this is one of my favorite aspects of the series so I feel compelled to push back a bit

GF has never made main series games that aren't based on a real life location. So to me it sounds like you're yearning for something that never existed.

Cards on the table, this is one of my favorite aspects of the series so I feel compelled to push back a bit
I think it started being more obvious from Unova onwards because the places they have been replicating are much more familiar such as New York, France, England and Spain. Gen 1 through 4 were based in Japan if I’m not mistaken so that’s why some people (who may be unfamiliar with such locations) think things were different back then. Even then, I’m not sure if those games made an exact replica of the region, but it seems that the newer games have far more locations that resemble real life one’s as opposed to just being inspired by them.

Today is the day I realized I don't want any new Pokemon games based on real life countries.
I wouldn't say I hate them but I realized how limiting they are narratively. It was fine with vague inspiration like Unova but starting with Kalos, the games went out of their way to include even more landmarks that are similar to real world. It would be fine if not for the game perspective: all world's countries have similar regions that are agricultural or industrial, etc. Since European countries are generally quite alike, we are forced to relive essentially same gyms/Same events and lore. A completely new land with unique politics and agriculture would make more unique gym sequence possible and would avoid the trope of early grass/bug gym entirely. So, I still don't hate them but we were robbed of games that are creative with its setting, landmarks, world building, lore. Also, real world location makes creating truly disturbing villains 'controversial' because no one wants to see their land in a bad light. But let's be real, villains are essential for storytelling. Let's set ourselves free by unleashing our imagination!
How does basing it on real world places mean that grass and bug have to come early? Kalos had grass midway through, Alola had the secondary villain be the bug master.

And it's not like the villains (save for generations 1 and 3) have real world reflections in those regions.

The only real "problem" (if one can call it that) I've had with the increased graphical resemblance of each Region to their real life counterpart is that it has caused people to drag real world politics into discussions of Pokémon games where they simply don't belong and I despise having to wade through that.

Trying to match the region to the country it's based on exactly will always lead to very obvious wrong answers. Unova for example, clearly has medieval history, and the architecture of the many ruins found there proves it to be the case.

And before anyone tries to deny the architecture point, the look of medieval architecture varied between real-world regions, so there's no point in trying to deny Unova's medieval history just because Relic Castle happens to look different than the Dragonspiral Tower as medieval architecture always varied depending on location.

Well that's another thing, people act like Unova is the entire USA and it drives me up a wall. Unova is very specifically the area around New York City--a very small fraction of the USA. Heck it's not even the first American region we got, since two gens earlier we got Orre.

Even then, New York doesn't have a desert, so even if it's just a fraction, it's still not 1:1.

Well that's another thing, people act like Unova is the entire USA and it drives me up a wall. Unova is very specifically the area around New York City--a very small fraction of the USA. Heck it's not even the first American region we got, since two gens earlier we got Orre.
in fact, we also have Alola, which is based on a part of the USA

Back
Top Bottom