• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Totem battles were so much better than gym battles. Gym battles are just so boring and repetitive. Most gym battles nowadays just involve you sweeping the entire thing with one pokemon that has a type advantage against it. The fact that gym leaders also use 3-4 pokemon at most, whilst you can use a full team of 6 is just baffling to me, and ruins most of the challenge/enjoyment. Items should also be disabled in them, cause you have way more of an advantage and can just heal spam your way through their team and undo any status conditions (which makes them kinda lose their impact). Besides, you have way more usage of items than them, and given how overlevelled you can be nowadays (thanks to the forced exp share) most of them are so one-sided. Boss battles are supposed to be challenging and make you strategise, and 90% of gym battles have none of that.

But totem battles are great. Right off the bat you’re in a disadvantaged position, due to the totem pokemon having stat buffs and it becoming a 2v1 situation. They’re way more creative in this aspect as well, as SOS pokemon synergise really well with the totem pokemon with their custom movesets. This forces you to actually strategise and think about how’ll you approach it, rather than mindlessly spamming whatever super effective move you have. It’s also a lot harder to heal spam due to the 2v1 situation, as you also run the risk of the totem pokemon getting healed from its allies. There’s a very real chance that you’ll lose and have to try multiple times.

It’s just a way more satisfying and well designed experience. Gym battles need either an overhaul or should be replaced altogether in my opinion.

Last edited:
My controversial opinion is that Dexit was tremendously overhyped in our small echo chamber, and it was never going to be a deal-breaker for anybody.

In fact, I will go even further and say Dexit was actually a positive and logical decision, and it should have happened way earlier (as early as Gen 5).

Dexit was logical, especially considering that Pokémon was going into the over world for the first time. However, I disagree with the fact that it should have been in Gen 5. If it was in Gen 5, it might have ruined the franchise. Gen 5 was one of the least popular Pokémon games at release, and adding in Dexit probably would be a dealbreaker for many fans. In the games, you can only get the options to use about 150 Pokémon, and your old favorites have about a 50% chance of not coming back after you beat the game? It doesn’t seem reasonable to do so at that time.

Dexit was logical, especially considering that Pokémon was going into the over world for the first time. However, I disagree with the fact that it should have been in Gen 5. If it was in Gen 5, it might have ruined the franchise. Gen 5 was one of the least popular Pokémon games at release, and adding in Dexit probably would be a dealbreaker for many fans. In the games, you can only get the options to use about 150 Pokémon, and your old favorites have about a 50% chance of not coming back after you beat the game? It doesn’t seem reasonable to do so at that time.
Ok let's say in Gen 6, then :bulbaWave:

Also I agree with you, because Gen 5 is my least favorite generation in terms of new Pokemon designs.

Last edited:
After seeing the Leon vs Cynthia debates, my appreciation for her has decreased.
I never cared for Cynthia to begin with and Generation 4 is my favorite generation.

My controversial opinion is that Dexit was tremendously overhyped in our small echo chamber, and it was never going to be a deal-breaker for anybody.
I'm gonna assume the issue that people had with Dexit (and it was brought up by the OP) was the fact it happened too LATE. Gamefreak said for like 15 years that people would be able to transfer their favorites through each generation, hence all the transfering methods. But out of nowhere, they just dropped the Dexit on everyone, and of course a lot of people got pissed. And of course their reasoning for it was off-putting to a lot of people.

I'll say that the Dexit does become incredibly confusing when they start to actually bring back older pokemon in updates. Like, is each generation gonna have every pokemon or not? Make up your mind, GF.

Last edited:
I never cared for Cynthia to begin with and Generation 4 is my favorite.
In my case, I do like Cynthia since she was the champion that gave me the biggest challenge, but seeing people treat her like an actual Mary Sue that is invincible is... a massive turn off to put it simple. Not helped by the fact that I can't judge Leon in any way since I don't have SwSh.

In my case, I do like Cynthia since she was the champion that gave me the biggest challenge
Guess my hot take here is that i always found Cynthia incredibly easy, specially when her ace gets dropped down in a single Ice Beam. Even before i knew how overhyped she was, defeating her ace in one hit was one of the most disappointing experiences in the series for me.

Guess my hot take here is that i always found Cynthia incredibly easy, specially when her ace gets dropped down in a single Ice Beam. Even before i knew how overhyped she was, defeating her ace in one hit was one of the most disappointing experiences in the series for me.
I don't have problems with Garchomp. It's her Milotic I fear.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, with few exceptions, it's never the ace that gives me problems.

Speaking of pokemon Champions, i'm really tired of every champion being way too friendly. I guess what i want is a champion that is morally ambigous, at times doing things you disagree with, and also being an outright dick based on the situation.

Speaking of pokemon Champions, i'm really tired of every champion being way too friendly. I guess what i want is a champion that is morally ambigous, at times doing things you disagree with, and also being an outright dick based on the situation.
Did you forget about the Rival in Red/Blue/Yellow? The guy certainly was not nice.

Did you forget about the Rival in Red/Blue/Yellow? The guy certainly was not nice.
I was gonna add to my post that i don't include Blue as a champion because he's one for like five minutes. Guess i should have done that. I also bolded Rival because that's what he is in the end.

And even if he was Champion for more than five minutes, he's still not the one i want. I want morally ambigous, not over-the-top douchebag.

It would have killed a lot of the uniqueness of the series. They're slowly re-adding them in gen 8, Pokémon Go will have the full dex in a few years and Home already has it.

2) Creatively, I believe that these concepts are very healthy for the franchise. I think it would be very limiting if the developers were stuck with only one for many, many years - I truly think it is good that they are able to wipe the slate clean and experiment with a new idea that takes lessons from what they tried previously.
At these point I feel these 'gimmicks' are one of the very few creative outlets GF actually has. The entire franchise relies on keeping things as static as possible, because change is risky and TPCi needs its sweet max profits. Why innovate when you've got a perfectly usable formula that will ensure sales?

So, I guess my controversial opinion would be that Pokémon could use a good flop. A main game that's badly received, with only average sales at best, unfavourable reviews. I don't expect it to happen, but whatever. A crash of the formula might just be what GF needs to get some more freedom and development time

I would say it should have happened at Gen 3. Gen 2 I will let slide since it's a sequel to the gen 1 games.

To quote an earlier post I made:

With backwards compatibility being impossible to program into Ruby and Sapphire, this was the perfect opportunity to begin a new trend. Omitting backwards compatibility from Gens 4, 5 and beyond wouldn't have been a popular move, but we would have come to accept it as the norm eventually, and it would have saved us all the emotional turmoil of Dexit further down the line.

Game Freak probably had no idea at that stage, though, how many generations there would be, or that they would one day switch to 3D models and cross-generational transfers would become a problem. It's difficult to plan that far ahead.

It's always a sad feeling when you boot up a once-cherished save file, and all your favourite Pokemon have migrated to another game, never to return. Trading a Pokemon from, say, SoulSilver to Platinum is fine because you can send it back again, but I'm not really a fan of the finality of one-way transfers, especially not now that Pokemon are getting trapped in Pokemon HOME.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom