• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

It's not a problem for Gamefreak if they thought the tree was acceptable.

???

Not sure what you're getting at here.

And let's not pretend it wasn't just the tree that had bad textures,

I mean the trees were by far the worst and most noticeably bad texture.

and also not pretend that a lot of the old pokemon textures aren't literally just mostly the old ones. You honestly believe that they go to each individual pokemon that is being brought into a new generation and update their textures? I doubt it.

SM's models seem to be reused XY (I can't find any noticeable difference between the two), but SwSh, LA, and SV? Not so much. Let's look at Lucario's models for comparison:

Spr_6x_448.png

900px-Spr_8s_448.png

Spr_8a_448.png

448.png

Lucario's XY model is much lower res and looks fairly rough and pixelated, and the colors seem to be slightly paler in SwSh. LA's model is sharper and more defined and the colors are much brigher and more vibrant. Then SV's look a bit more rounded but still more defined than SwSh's and seems to have HD shaders and again a paler color palette.

So ultimately SM's seems to be reused, SwSh looks vaguely similar, but at a higher resolution. At most they reused them up to SwSh (and I'm not even sure they did that much). But the buck certainly stops there, as the LA and SV certainly look plain as day different from SwSh's in a side by side comparison. You can tell they've used a higher resolution/polygon count and a different color palette to design these models and there's no way that those were a copy/paste job. They need to update them one at a time to make improvements like these and the LA/SV certainly look like they belong more on a modern HD console than the SwSh one.

Honestly ORAS did a lot to minimize the issue of water routes, by making surf encounter rates significantly lower than in RSE, giving access to various ride Pokémon to make it more interesting, and removing the mandatory surf RSE had from Route 104 to Slateport City. Personally I never found the water to be an issue in ORAS specifically especially since water routes can be easily blown through within a few minutes if you want to avoid most of the complications. ORAS getting blamed for water was confusing considering RSE never had its scores dropped due to its water, despite it forcing you to traverse water more frequently, the water routes having much higher wild encounter rates in them, and even having a bigger water to land ratio due to the lack of mirage islands and some secret base areas. It was many times worse in the originals overall and never got punished for it.

That's because ORAS had different reviewers with different opinions than RSE. Most likely had they reviewed the originals they would still say the same thing, they just weren't chosen to write that review back in 2003 (if they even worked for IGN at the time, which is unlikely).

what mandatory surf from Route 104 to Slateport? Seriously, Rusturf Tunnel is right there. If you don't want to fight through the trainers and wild mons on the water routes, just head to Rustboro and then east to get to Mauville.

Of course, i never do that, as i want the experience from all the trainers on the water routes. Which just makes it annoying when the game teleports you to Mauville without a chance to say no.

In the originals, you don't just teleport straight to Dewford and Slateport through a cutscene. A boat sprite appears in the overworld and you have to watch for a minute or two as it automatically navigates the water routes without any control from the player, which is really long and annoying. And you don't have a choice but to endure it for at least your first time through, since Rusturf Tunnel isn't an option until you beat Wattson and Rock Smash the boulders.

Last edited:
I know I've brought this up in previous posts but not in a manner as direct, but I don't understand why there's negative stigma towards Mega Rayquaza creating the Anything Goes tier. (Which was created exactly nine years ago yesterday in fact!)

As someone who was there, and directly affected by this Pokémon, Rayquaza getting a mega evolution was one of the best things to have ever happened in Smogon history.

Here's why:
1) Rayquaza forcing Smogon to create Anything Goes meant we were finally able to play the full unrestricted 6v6 PvP cartridge game on Pokémon Showdown. No rules, no clauses, the metagame functions exactly like how the in-game PvP does with no restrictions selected.

2) Due to the nature of Anything Goes being the full cartridge game, Mega Rayquaza forcing its creation also meant it created a brand new community of dedicated players following it, a community in which, despite having had rough patches, still lives on to this day.

3) Prior to Mega Rayquaza's ban, the Ubers tier was not a dedicated tier designed for competitive gameplay, but rather just an OU banlist. Ubers was treated as the de-facto Anything Goes, but still had clauses and complex to make it playable, since a few older generations of Anything Goes have little to no playability at all without them. The full cartridge 6v6 PvP was unavailable. Mega Rayquaza shaped up Ubers in a way which community leaders (and admins) felt should warrant action to be taken upon it, and by this logic, if Mega Rayquaza could create a new metagame to make Ubers better, other Pokémon can be banned as well, and Ubers can be tiered into a serious competitive metagame. The tl;dr to this point is, Mega Rayquaza encouraged Smogon leaders to transform Ubers into an official tier for legendary mascots, when prior to Mega Rayquaza inception, legendary mascots were unable to be supported in an official Smogon tier.

4) Mega Rayquaza itself was rather manageable in the Anything Goes metagame, to an extent. Gen 6 gave us fantastic revenge killers and overall competition for it in the game, such as Swords Dance Extreme Speed Arceus, Geomancy/Choice Scarf Xerneas, Darkrai, and Klefki. We also had plenty of notable options to possibly check Mega Rayquaza, such as Skarmory, Lugia, Giratina(Altered), and various Arceus forces (Fairy, Rock, 2x Normal). A team with multiple Arceus was considered the best way of besting Mega Rayquaza, allowing Gens 6 and 7 Anything Goes to handle Mega Rayquaza better than Ubers could. In addition, Mega Rayquaza is honestly less problematic than the top tiers of Gens 8 and 9 Anything Goes. The Pokémon up there are on a whole higher plane of broken, I even believe some Pokémon that are still currently Ubers are more broken than Mega Rayquaza was (Koraidon absolutely is according to the Anything Goes community). The major difference between Mega Ray and the likes of Zacian-Crowned, Calyrex-Shadow, Koraidon, and Miraidon is that while Mega Rayquaza hits like a nuke, it's not doing so at the hypersonic speeds the rest are going. Mega Ray can be revenge killed and outsped a lot more proficiently, and even not hit as hard sometimes. Certain Dynamax threats such as Yveltal and Necrozma Dusk Mane were also more broken in Generation 8 than Mega Rayquaza ever was, in my opinion, but have never been banned because Dynamax got banned instead.

Tl;dr of this entire post is, Mega Ray was an amazing addition to competitive Smogon, because it not only let us play the whole cartridge game on PS, but also created a brand new community and enabled Ubers to be taken seriously as a tier, while still being manageable for Anything Goes to handle.

Counterpoint gen 5’s limited 3D is so charming
agreed. i ADORED the art style.
even more controversial is that graphics don't really impact a game's enjoyability on my end. if it can meet at least most of the criteria of being well put together, telling a compelling and interesting story, possessing a likeable cast, and having enjoyable gameplay, then i will probably like it. if i refused to play a game because i thought the graphics weren't up to par, i never would have experienced many of my all-time favorites. (og ffvii, older animal crossing titles, usfiv, the first aa trilogy... the list goes on)
also, i dunno if the graphics in pokemon games being bad is such a controversial idea. do you remember the absolute uproar over the swoshi trees?

agreed. i ADORED the art style.
even more controversial is that graphics don't really impact a game's enjoyability on my end. if it can meet at least most of the criteria of being well put together, telling a compelling and interesting story, possessing a likeable cast, and having enjoyable gameplay, then i will probably like it. if i refused to play a game because i thought the graphics weren't up to par, i never would have experienced many of my all-time favorites. (og ffvii, older animal crossing titles, usfiv, the first aa trilogy... the list goes on)
also, i dunno if the graphics in pokemon games being bad is such a controversial idea. do you remember the absolute uproar over the swoshi trees?
Graphics are never the most important factor in a game's quality, but they do matter. A game being pleasant to look at generally makes it more pleasant to play. This never makes or breaks a game like gameplay or story can do, but it absolutely is a factor. Same applies to the soundtrack.

saying the switch games' graphics suck is not remotely controversial. Saying the same about the DS era is very controversial (and wrong imo)

Graphics are never the most important factor in a game's quality, but they do matter. A game being pleasant to look at generally makes it more pleasant to play. This never makes or breaks a game like gameplay or story can do, but it absolutely is a factor. Same applies to the soundtrack.

saying the switch games' graphics suck is not remotely controversial. Saying the same about the DS era is very controversial (and wrong imo)
yeah, that's true - rereading my post i realized it sounded like i was saying graphics didn't matter at all, and i don't think that's true; i agree that they add to aesthetic which is a good thing, i'm just a bit critical of people who will judge a game based on graphics ALONE, i suppose. and if a game is stellar in every other aspect but has very crude graphics, i'll easily be able to look past them, but like... i get it, yeah.

though admittedly the recent games need work. and i do find gens 4 and 5's spritework to be very beautiful.

Sometimes I feel it's a curse that I'm specifically autistique about art direction and how a game visually looks rather than plays, because this is often met with a lot of "GOD WHO CARES" responses and getting labeled as a cringe nitpicker. Even though a good art direction can also improve a game's performance.

That said, I still like 3D Pokemon, but I still wish SV had a more of a cel-shaded art style. I wanna have a talk with whoever asked for Pokemon games to look more realistic, because now the hyperrealistic hair strands and textures clash with the anime styled characters, who absolutely do not need to have any of those things and looked better in 2D artworks. I know someone will see this and go god what a dumb nitpick, but am I wrong though.

Sometimes I feel it's a curse that I'm specifically autistique about art direction and how a game visually looks rather than plays, because this is often met with a lot of "GOD WHO CARES" responses and getting labeled as a cringe nitpicker. Even though a good art direction can also improve a game's performance.

That said, I still like 3D Pokemon, but I still wish SV had a more of a cel-shaded art style. I wanna have a talk with whoever asked for Pokemon games to look more realistic, because now the hyperrealistic hair strands and textures clash with the anime styled characters, who absolutely do not need to have any of those things and looked better in 2D artworks. I know someone will see this and go god what a dumb nitpick, but am I wrong though.
nah being critical of art styles isn't dumb or nitpicky unless you're being like. SUPER EXCESSIVELY nitpicky and you're not even close at all to that
i don't like it when people think graphics literally make or break a game but people can still discuss whether they're like. good or bad lmao. seriously that was not what i was trying to say.

yeah, that's true - rereading my post i realized it sounded like i was saying graphics didn't matter at all, and i don't think that's true; i agree that they add to aesthetic which is a good thing, i'm just a bit critical of people who will judge a game based on graphics ALONE, i suppose. and if a game is stellar in every other aspect but has very crude graphics, i'll easily be able to look past them, but like... i get it, yeah.

though admittedly the recent games need work. and i do find gens 4 and 5's spritework to be very beautiful.
One of the thinks that imo would fix gen 9‘s graphics just a bit better is a lighting rework cause the lighting just is ugly, maybe upping the texture res for grass could also help

One of the thinks that imo would fix gen 9‘s graphics just a bit better is a lighting rework cause the lighting just is ugly, maybe upping the texture res for grass could also help

Really? I think Gen 9's lighting feels appropriate and there's really nothing graphics wise that sticks out to me as bad about SV (but then again I have a harder time than usual of noticing graphical changes). My only issues with SV are gameplay related (and of course they definitely should fix the bugs, but I never encountered any serious ones in my playthrough).

Sw/Sh's graphics--even the meme trees--probably wouldn't have received nearly as much attention without dexit. After the roster gets cut down that much you'd hope for high quality graphics to make up for it.
It's especially made worse over how Gamefreak specifically mentioned the improvement of graphics as one of the things dexit would accomplish.

Sw/Sh's graphics--even the meme trees--probably wouldn't have received nearly as much attention without dexit. After the roster gets cut down that much you'd hope for high quality graphics to make up for it.

I think the graphic issue might've ended up being a delayed reaction. Again, looking back to the Lucario model comparison I made above, I think they did give us high quality graphics. They just didn't accomplish that in SwSh, only the games after it (with the exception of the intentionally retro BDSP). LA and SV look more like high quality graphics that feel like they belong on an HD console.

I do think there is still an argument that the quality hasn't really improved because of Dexit, but again, it's more of a gameplay/content/polish issue than a graphics issue.

Main series Pokemon graphics weren't the prettiest but at least they had a consistent artstyle until SWSH. Sugimori's artwork influenced the anime, which created the general look of the franchise in people's minds, which influenced the next games, which influenced the next anime and so on. But after SWSH they feel lost on how they want the games to look, and the rushed deadlines make the graphics and artstyle in general feel unpolished.

In my opinion, BDSP misunderstood completely the appeal of chibis, making them more like toys and the backgrounds look simpler than ever. Scarlet & Violet had terrible PCs that looked like they come from another franchise and the world is as generic as it could be and very far from the animesque style of previous incarnations. Legends is the best one out of the three, though it still has very clear imperfections regarding shading and some of the textures could be more detailed.

Honestly the dexit is the major thing. Prior to that, you go back and look at reaction videos to SwSh, people are PRAISING the graphics. You'll see a lot of people saying it looked like an oil painting. Then a few months later, dexit is announced and suddenly "that one tree is low res the entire game is garbage". People were bound and determined to hate the game and everything associated with it because of the dex cut.

Back
Top Bottom